Rework All Quirks. (Let Us Do Our 'own' Load-Outs Again)

23 replies to this topic

#21 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:20 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 09 June 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

Yeah, I can see that, the question is would it be better to have quirks for SRMs or simply for missile weapons, since it is one missile hardpoint on the 5SS?

And I've been thinking that one way to really help out SRMs, and missile weapons overall, is to give them a new tracking system.

Right now SRMs basically slow dead-fire scatterguns, spreading damage everywhere, and being rather ammo inefficient. An easy solution is adding more missiles per ton, reducing spread and then raising their velocity. LRMs are reliant on Locks, and Streaks just don't feel right IMHO.

So I'd rather see missiles follow the crosshair / reticle around when fired, until they hit something or reach max range. This would be with keeping their current velocities, and exploring a ripple fire pattern to reduce FLD a tad is what I'd look at for balancing with their new guidance in place.

So I'd start with five missile streams:
LRM 20 would be at four missiles at a time,
LRM 15 and SRM 6 three missiles at a time,
LRM 10 and SRM 4 two missiles at a time, and
LRM 5 and SRM 2 would be at one missile at a time.
The difference between Clan and IS could then be the delay between missiles in a stream, so that one has a shorter burst than the other.

Artemis, TAG and NARC would then increase how missiles readjust their flight path when the crosshair / reticle is moved around until they hit or reach max range. Then ECM would simply be a counter to this factor.
Streaks would retain their Locks only as the ammo saving measure (and not be blocked by ECM), and indirect LRMs I'd explore Locks as Fire and Forget only when combined with TAG and/or NARC.

So basically, allowing missiles to hit were we aim allows them to have more synergy with other weapon systems and be more ammo efficient, hopefully reducing the need to boat and then leaving space for when MRMs arrive, which are supposed to be dead-fire missiles/rockets, compared to SRMs and LRMs.

In all fairness, in TT Artemis equipped SRMs could actually home on NARC'd enemy mechs, in a limited capacity, but home in, none the less.

As for that particular TDR, then yes, it should be general missile quirks. If you have a lot of hardpoints, then it should get more specific, that way you can use the general quirks, without making every loadout ridiculous, and if you have a small hardpoint count for that weapon, then pump up the general quirks to compensate.

#22 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:36 PM

View PostShadowWard, on 08 June 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

Yea.. i know and understand your viewpoint. But i tried to get across that im not so much against the "weapon type" quirks. But i am against the "specific weapon" quirks. (ie: Im ok with +12 cooldown to Energy. But i dislike the use of +12% to Medium Laser range).

Lets remember that when the quirks were being developed, a +25% to Medium Laser Range became a +12.5% Energy Weapon Range and +12.5% Medium Laser Range. That change was specifically made to give more options for customization as relating to quirks.

Pigeon-holing your builds to take "optimal" use of quirks is missing the entire point. If your build would have better performance/synergy with Med Pulse Lasers than with regular Med Lasers, use it! Don't go to a less effective build, because, quirks.

I'm running around in an Enforcer 4P with an XL 350 engine, a few Jump Jets, Max armor, and 4 Med Pulse Lasers. Why? Because my other Enforcers run my preferred Ballistics better. Rather than confine myself to a Ballistics build, because, quirks; I created something else. While the build might not be part of the competitive meta, early in a match it does a good job of keeping enemy Lights off friendly Assaults, while later in the match it is an excellent platform for removing components that have lost their armor. Is it my "best" mech? No. Is it fun to run in Puglandia? Yes!

In the final equation, this IS just a game. Have fun!

#23 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 09 June 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

In all fairness, in TT Artemis equipped SRMs could actually home on NARC'd enemy mechs, in a limited capacity, but home in, none the less.

Well, TT also had different relationships with the various systems, where it was Semi-Guided LRMs that got TAG benefits and it seems that regular ones did not, and then we had NARC capabable systems and non-NARC capable and so on.

So with the cryengine limits, I'd at least want to test the ideas I presented earlier! The intent to improve MWO gameplay, so we should be able to fiddle with labels and how gear relates a tad to best fit what the cryengine can handle.

And I'd welcome adding in more weapons so that we can see regular LRMs along with Semi-Guided LRMs, Arrow IV and so on for example.

As for that particular TDR, then yes, it should be general missile quirks. If you have a lot of hardpoints, then it should get more specific, that way you can use the general quirks, without making every loadout ridiculous, and if you have a small hardpoint count for that weapon, then pump up the general quirks to compensate.

This would be fine with me, as long we don't have boosts get out of hand, since base stats on weapons already were 2.5x better on average when evaluated with the variable of TT damage over 10 seconds, before we factor Fast Fire, Modules and quirks for example. That's why I'd like to see if we could see better synergy between the different weapon systems if we have a different system for firing and guiding missiles before raising quirks too high.

#24 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:12 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 11 June 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

Well, TT also had different relationships with the various systems, where it was Semi-Guided LRMs that got TAG benefits and it seems that regular ones did not, and then we had NARC capabable systems and non-NARC capable and so on.

So with the cryengine limits, I'd at least want to test the ideas I presented earlier! The intent to improve MWO gameplay, so we should be able to fiddle with labels and how gear relates a tad to best fit what the cryengine can handle.

And I'd welcome adding in more weapons so that we can see regular LRMs along with Semi-Guided LRMs, Arrow IV and so on for example.

This would be fine with me, as long we don't have boosts get out of hand, since base stats on weapons already were 2.5x better on average when evaluated with the variable of TT damage over 10 seconds, before we factor Fast Fire, Modules and quirks for example. That's why I'd like to see if we could see better synergy between the different weapon systems if we have a different system for firing and guiding missiles before raising quirks too high.

Agreed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users