#1 CockneyNinja

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCockney Area, London

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:55 AM

Hello, all.

Just finished mastering KTO-18 and picked up Ilya on the sale. Now I would like to start doing some CW, partly for improving my skills by learning from the veterans, and partly for that precious free mech bays. (Yup, I am cheap :P )

I am having a look at some units, and I am wondering... if I am part of a unit would I be able to switch factions while staying in the unit?

Furthermore, how good would I have to be to join a unit?

#2 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:46 AM

The whole unit has the same faction. When the unit changes contract all its members switch allegiance as well.

Units go from casual to hardcore serious. Make sure you join a unit where most player share your time-zone, or at least the time you are online to play games.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:16 AM

first when you have a contract you cannot join a unit, to be invited into a unit you cannot have a contract, however most units will be understanding if you let them know and it is a short amount of time left (e.g. a few days) they will probably let you join then send you an invite when your contract runs out so you can join ingame

most units are happy to accept less skilled or new players, and many will be happy to help you improve, there are a few with no competitive side and there are some that are only interested in "elite" players however most fall somewhere in the middle with both casual and competitive players.

some units have no allegiance whatsoever while others only play a single faction, still others change faction frequently but remain loyal to a single faction,

e.g. the unit I am part of has both casual and competitive players, votes on new contracts but has a core of players who identify with Davion, so the Legion has agreed that whatever faction we take a contract with we avoid fighting against house Davion.

I strongly advise doing a bit of research before making any decisions, look into the unit and see if it looks like a good fit for you, e.g. if you do not live in the Americas you would probably not want to join a unit which drops mostly in the north American evening, and if you find swearing distasteful you may want to look for a unit with PG comms

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 10 June 2015 - 01:41 PM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

In a unit you are whatever the unit chooses to be. Its not like you could join the 116th field artillery battalion, allied to the State of Florida, and then decide that you are allied to the State of Georgia instead. You work for the unit, and the unit works for a faction.

On your lonesome, you can choose whoever you want to work for and however long you'll be doing it.

#5 Chaos Strike

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:23 PM

Koniving certainly has a valid point about the freedom of being solo. However, running in CW matches solo can be VERY tough. Specially when you are just starting out with few Mechs and still honing your skills.

Rogue Jedi covered about all the points about units. I would just like to expand a bit on doing your research.

What are your reasons for joining a unit?
Are you just looking to make several friends?
Just gain skills and Mechbays?

Decide what you are looking for in a unit?
Do you want to stick with one Faction/House and climb the ranks?
Go Mercenary and get a bit of rank with several Factions by changing contracts regularly?
Are you looking for a large group that has several teams doing CW drops?
A small group that will do CW if there are enough online and willing to drop?
Tight military type structure or a laidback collection of people?

The answers to these question will probably narrow your unit choices to better suit you.
Reach out to units you are interested in. See if you can hang out in their TeamSpeak and run some drops with them.
This should help you find a unit you feel is a good fit for your goals and yourself.

The Templars is a good fit for me and what I was looking for. I hope you find a unit that is a good fit for you.

#6 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:55 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 09 June 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

first when you have a contract you cannot join a unit, to be invited into a unit you cannot have a contract, however most units will be understanding if you let them know and it is a short amount of time left (e.g. a few days) they will probably let you join then send you an invite when your contract runs out

I think there is an exception when your contract is with the same faction your unit is allied with. My merc contract was with Davion when I was recruited out of CW into a unit of Davion loyalists. I'm pretty sure it was still valid at the time and that I didn't have to wait, but I could be wrong.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:35 AM

View PostAnachronda, on 09 June 2015 - 04:55 PM, said:

I think there is an exception when your contract is with the same faction your unit is allied with. My merc contract was with Davion when I was recruited out of CW into a unit of Davion loyalists. I'm pretty sure it was still valid at the time and that I didn't have to wait, but I could be wrong.

If the lengths are identical it is fine. If they are not, then you will have to pay to terminate yours and then renew it.

For example you have a contract for 7 days.
They have a contract with the same faction for 28 days.

Yours will terminate sooner, therefore you must break yours and renew it.

This may have changed since the original setup.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users