18 replies to this topic

#1 Narfed

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:42 PM

Normal??? or Bugged?

Edit: same with my Mastered Jagger-DD and Victor 9S

Edit2: Atlas DC only has 1 weapon module too.

Edited by Narfed, 29 March 2015 - 09:49 PM.

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

With the D-DC, we should have:

Two Consumable Slots
One Weapon Slot
One Mech Module Slot
and one Hybrid Slot

#3 Narfed

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:01 PM

ok thats what i have. confused because i thought the DC had more modules and i thought i would get 1 more for mastered.

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:11 PM

Yeah, different variants have different counts for Module Slots now.

IIRC, when Weapon Modules were introduced, the D-DC was one of the mechs that had a reduction in Mech Module Slots, that was like a year ago or so by now, that is most likely what you are remembering!

Edited by Praetor Knight, 29 March 2015 - 10:11 PM.

#5 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:55 PM

The DDC was rather unfair in that it didn't only have ECM (making it already the best Atlas of the bunch really), but it also had the most Module slots (because: Command Mech??), so it was a good thing they adjusted that, and that's coming from someone who likes using his DDC.

#6 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:09 AM

I find Smurfy's MWO site to be a very valuable tool for researching things of this nature.

#7 Anassi

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:10 AM

It's alright though, the D-DC doesn't need Radar Deprivation. If your ECM doesn't save you from the rain, RadDerp won't help you either. It would be nice to have another slot for something like Speed Retention or Target Info Gathering but going with Seismic + two weapon cooldown modules works just fine.

Edited by Anassi, 30 March 2015 - 08:10 AM.

#8 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:51 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 29 March 2015 - 11:55 PM, said:

The DDC was rather unfair in that it didn't only have ECM (making it already the best Atlas of the bunch really), but it also had the most Module slots (because: Command Mech??), so it was a good thing they adjusted that, and that's coming from someone who likes using his DDC.

Except that now it has less module slots than other mechs when it's supposed to have more. Personally I feel like removing module slots isn't a legitimate balancing nerf. I could see adjusting things like quirks, cooldowns, timing, ranges, stuff like that, but removing slots for equipment is going down a bad road. What if they did something like removing critical slots or reducing maximum engine size on a mech in the name of balance? I wonder when this happened what happened to the modules that had been in the slots that no longer exist.

I don't see the connection between ECM and this either. ECM doesn't take up a module slot on any other mech in the game. Why should an Atlas be special that way?

View PostBanditman, on 30 March 2015 - 05:09 AM, said:

I find Smurfy's MWO site to be a very valuable tool for researching things of this nature.

Smurfy's site is invaluable, that is true. And it does have a page showing all the module slots of every mech. What it does not have is the answer to the OP's question. Obviously they know there are fewer slots on the AS7-D-DC because they have one. What they are wanting to know is whether it used to have more than it does now (apparently it did), and if so when and why was that changed (still kind of unanswered). Of course there are other ecm mechs that have not only more slots than the ddc but more than other mechs. I hesitate to bring attention to them for fear it may happen again! :)

Not whinging, just legitimately disagreeing.

#9 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

They won't remove critical slots because of TT rules. Modules have never existed in the history of Battletech before. They weigh nothing. They are absolutely free to use as a balancing mechanic. Mechs with ECM, being the most powerful piece of equipment in the game, should definitely get fewer module slots.

Also, your link to the mwowiki is not an authoritative source. The Atlas D-DC gets however many module slots PGI feels it should and the wiki simply writes them. Not the other way around. Again, modules never existed before this game. That article is simply out of date.

Oh, and if they do take away a module slot or decrease the engine rating cap for a mech, it will unequip equipment. You won't loose it or anything.

#10 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:04 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 08 June 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

They won't remove critical slots because of TT rules. Modules have never existed in the history of Battletech before. They weigh nothing. They are absolutely free to use as a balancing mechanic. Mechs with ECM, being the most powerful piece of equipment in the game, should definitely get fewer module slots.

Also, your link to the mwowiki is not an authoritative source. The Atlas D-DC gets however many module slots PGI feels it should and the wiki simply writes them. Not the other way around. Again, modules never existed before this game. That article is simply out of date.

Oh, and if they do take away a module slot or decrease the engine rating cap for a mech, it will unequip equipment. You won't loose it or anything.

Of course modules are only in this game and it's a computer game - they can do what they want. And sure that wiki is not an authoritative source, but people did expect that on the d-dc apparently. I actually looked into this because someone I knew brought out his d-dc and was upset about the change, which, apparently happened last year or something.

When I looked into older threads people were saying the modules in the slots were gone, but hopefully they were just lost in the interface and found or support sorted it for them. I don't have enough modules or mechs to be directly affected and I wasn't around back when all this happened. I do still think it is weird that a mech that had more slots than the others now has less slots than the others. I would have thought making them equal would be more balancing. But maybe my data are wrong.

In any case, yeah, okay, it is what it is. :) Your experience may change during online play means if you build something based on the way the system was one day and it changes the next, that's life in the big city. There are always going to be people who complained about the way it was, then if it changes people will complain about the change. It's just my opinion that module slots should be treated more like crit slots in terms of nerfs and buffs, but hey, there was a time in this game when they were not here at all and they have changed over time.

#11 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:53 AM

View PostAnachronda, on 08 June 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

I do still think it is weird that a mech that had more slots than the others now has less slots than the others. I would have thought making them equal would be more balancing. But maybe my data are wrong.

It's just a balancing act between the chassis variants. ECM is clearly an advantage the other variants do not have. The D-DC also had móre module slots than the other variants, another advantage. To correct the advantage of the ECM they couldn't stop at making the number of module slots equal to the other variants, but they had to go beyond that point to create even a semblance of balance with the other variants.

And if you look at weapon hardpoints it still has an advantage over most other variants. Until the arrival of the S at the end of last year the D-DC also had the most missile hardpoints. In addition it shared the D's double ballistic slots in the Right Torso while all the other variants only have 1. Ok, so it only has 2 Energy hardpoints. But let's face it, the Atlas isn't known for bringing the Wub or the Laser goodness, not even the Boar's Head. Superior mech is superior. ;)

#12 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:29 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 08 June 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

actually they do exist in BT.

it's just they are strange utility items that are not common on standard variants but can be on custom variants and stuff...

Enhance zoom: exists in multiple ways ranging from small items/ effects from some utility items to implants and stuff, this is just a generalization of that.

Advance gyro: besides the fact there is improved gyoes in TT and you could change your gyro in the same way as you do with engines (even having XL gyro) but this isn't in MW: O, so advance gyro comes here in this form.

Fall damage reduction: was a quick in lore on some mechs (highlander was one of them?)

Weapon modules: in lore existed different brands of weapons and thus have different effects like more cheaper and more heat, more range, or more damage, so modules for weapons is our version of that atm.

Flush coolant; was a physical item(?)

etc...

I could go through all but there is no point in describing lore/ tt similarities and such.

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:28 AM

I think the d-dc had more module slots before it was given ecm. It was never adjusted until they restructured modules. A few other mechs were affected as well but not many. In most cases I think weaker variants got another slot.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 09 June 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

I think the d-dc had more module slots before it was given ecm. It was never adjusted until they restructured modules. A few other mechs were affected as well but not many. In most cases I think weaker variants got another slot.

Exactly, which also makes sense They are weaker Thus giving you a reason to use them. Many of the early 'balances' of MWO were done very poorly, giving already good units extra benefits like extra hardpoints and extra modules while the other units who got screwed on hardpoints, modules, etc. got nothing for years. (Atlas K anyone? Oh wow, it has one extra AMS...and the moment the ECM got put on the D-DC the K became extinct).

#15 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:53 AM

View PostKoniving, on 09 June 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

(Atlas K anyone? Oh wow, it has one extra AMS...and the moment the ECM got put on the D-DC the K became extinct).

Hey!! I bought an Atlas K!! (only as a third mech for Eliting, and I wanted that XL300 for another mech, and it was on a C-bill sale, and I sold it after Mastering..................because it was a K). :ph34r:

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:49 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 10 June 2015 - 12:53 AM, said:

Hey!! I bought an Atlas K!! (only as a third mech for Eliting, and I wanted that XL300 for another mech, and it was on a C-bill sale, and I sold it after Mastering..................because it was a K). :ph34r:

I still own mine. I use it as an energy boat and for the longest time ran it with 43 SHS, 3 large pulse lasers, LRM20 and a machine gun.

You'd be surprised how terrifying it could be to face on Terra Therma, since it almost never shut down.

Especially in close quarters brawls. Pity it had a weakness to being flanked.

Also -- I still don't own a D-DC.

#17 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:03 AM

View PostKoniving, on 10 June 2015 - 04:49 AM, said:

Also -- I still don't own a D-DC.

Wait-Wut? So you mean to say it's like.....one of the...five or so IS mechs you don't own?

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:43 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 10 June 2015 - 06:03 AM, said:

Wait-Wut? So you mean to say it's like.....one of the...five or so IS mechs you don't own?

Atlas AS7-D-DC (Dual Cockpit).
Cataphract CTF-3D (3rd gen Davion)
~Most~ of the new variants (haven't been playing as much to collect the newest ones yet).
Three Vindicators (I own one non-hero one).
All non-loyalty King Crabs (expensives!)

Yep, pretty much one of the few I don't have.

I do have the following Atlases:
AS7-D
AS7-RS
AS7-K
Boar's Head.

#19 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:10 AM

View PostAnachronda, on 08 June 2015 - 06:51 AM, said:

Except that now it has less module slots than other mechs when it's supposed to have more. Personally I feel like removing module slots isn't a legitimate balancing nerf. I could see adjusting things like quirks, cooldowns, timing, ranges, stuff like that, but removing slots for equipment is going down a bad road. What if they did something like removing critical slots or reducing maximum engine size on a mech in the name of balance? I wonder when this happened what happened to the modules that had been in the slots that no longer exist.

If you're using any site besides smurfy for reference, you're going to be disappointed a lot as pretty much all of them are badly out of date at the best of times. I just edited out that one bullet point so at least one page is slightly less out of date now.
As for the module slot being removed, the mech modules are the best all purpose modules in the game and having up to four of them ( probably three in the current system ) is a massive advantage. The D-DC didn't need such an advantage because it already has the biggest advantage of all, it can mount ECM. That is why it now has fewer module slots than a lot of other mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users