No replies to this topic

#1 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:04 AM

Opinion:

Develop an algorithmically based skill tree which you select 'quirks' for your mech to help define it and it's role.

Here's the basic problem with the game; Everything is a massive pigeonhole. The mech tree isn't a tree - it's a flat linear progression. And on top of that, it's senseless. Quirks, while effective, only make the pigeonholing MORE obvious while at the same time increasing work for the devs.

If quirks have taught us anything it's that weapons are either effective in quantity and don't need significant quirks or ineffective and require a slight buff around the board to make them viable. This is a way of doing this while putting that in the player's hands.

Example:

Tier one: energy weapons heat -10%/20%, top speed +5%, +10%, etc.. .you pick one or two and move up to the next tier. Add in values like armor, structure, etc. You can basically let the players define the roles. Want a brawler, add more armor and better cooldown to your missile weapons. Want a sniper? Decrease ppc/gauss cooldown. Pretty much allow people a set amount of points and at a certain breakpoint they can move up to the next tier or continue spending in the bottom tier.

Tier two: laser duration -15/30%, weapon cooldown, heat - basically all the higher value choices in 'quirks'. These are the more high value items.

Tier three: Honestly - I'd love to see a choice here. Something to really define a mech and lock it in as it's perceived role type. I am at work currently so spitballing would be the already vital 'additional module slot' as a generic choice, increased ammo per ton by 10% (minimum of one round extra), better fall speed/shock absorbtion, etc.

Algorithm would factor:
# of high mounted hardpoints
Total # of hardpoints
If they have jumpjets or not
Type of hardpoints (distributed vs singular)
ECM/No ECM capability
# module slots
mech weight
'arbitrary value factor' - i.e. give the locust a multiplier of 1.25 to account for it's relatively lightweight/general issues.

I realize this will require some imagination and I'm not doing all the legwork here. I can't afford that kind of time investment in an idea post that will probably not be read anyways.

But I'd like to see it considered, at least :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users