Should This Be Fwl's Light Mech?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:37 AM

I was looking through the list of mechs on Sarna and came across the Hermes and Hermes. Since it seems most houses are getting their iconic light mechs I kept thinking about what the Free World Leagues should be, at first I was thinking the Flea, but I don't think it's worth it due to MASC issues and it's not that much different than a Locust imo, then I came across the above two mechs and that seemed entirely FWL during this time period. They also seem unique in their technical specifications, being more of a heavier light mech but also with the capability of ecm, what do you think?

Hermes

Posted Image

When the Helm Memory Core was recovered and the lost knowledge it contained distributed, IBMU decided in 3043 to use the Hermes as a test demonstrator for refitting other outdated designs with new technology. They succeeded in 3047 with the debut of the HER-3S, which added increased electronic surveillance capabilities, and sold these new models to the Free Worlds League Military. After the Clan Invasion the company was given permission to sell these 'Mechs to the Federated Commonwealth andDraconis Combine, although so-called "red tape" prevented any actual sales and guaranteed the FWLM's exclusive use of the new Hermes for another decade.

Hermes II

Posted Image

When first produced theHermes II had its autocannon mounted in the center of the torso, although this proved to be disastrous since even a minor hit to the chest rendered the weapon inoperable. A replacement model armed with lasers was temporarily deployed while Irian BattleMechs reworked the design and shifted the weapon to its current placement. The Hermes II stayed in production throughout the Succession Wars (with minor stoppages every time Irian's 'Mech factories were destroyed) and served almost exclusively with the Free Worlds League. A few could be found in the arsenals of the other Great Houses as a result of battlefield salvage and IBMU was willing to sell the design to mercenary units; the company preferred to sell the 'Mech in large lots but was willing to make small custom orders for a premium.

With the slow recovery of lostech Irian was not only able to begin producing the original Hermes again but also upgrade the Hermes II, building upon the original Star League-era schematics they had saved to create the HER-5S model in 3050. As a result of the Clan Invasion and the accords reached by the Great Houses onOutreach, Irian began selling these upgraded models to the rest of the Inner Sphere. The HER-5S was also used to replace older variants within the Free Worlds League Military as part of a massive upgrade program, with the first models going to elite units such as the Free Worlds Guards and slowly trickling down to other units.

Edited by Deimos Alpha, 10 June 2015 - 04:41 AM.

#2 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:08 AM

No one fancy it?

#3 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:26 AM

View PostDeimos Alpha, on 11 June 2015 - 02:08 AM, said:

No one fancy it?

Well, the Hermes is a 30 tonner with an all energy load-out for all variants and no jumpjets. Yes it can carry ECM but really, the Spider is already superior in every regard.

The Hermes II is a medium at 40 tons and goes for the classic AC + a few energy weapons load-out, which can also be found in a lot of other medium mechs like the Enforcer or Shadowhawk. Who simply do the job better with their extra tonnage, also, JumpJets. I've seen people wanting the Assassin and I can see the appeal there, a nimble 40 tonner with JJs and diverse weapon types. In comparison the Hermes II just pales. And after an Assassin I'd rather take a Clint instead of a Hermes II.

Finally, with nothing beyond roleplaying affecting where each mech comes from, it being a Marik mech means little to nothing, sorry. :)

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:38 AM

IS version of the 30 ton ECM Light. Should be ok as long as there are enough energy slots.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users