#61 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostLanzman, on 27 July 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

That is an awesome thread. I've modded my 1M Locust with 2 SSRM2s and a ML. I get killed a lot but I also got my first kill with it tonite. w00t!

Congratulations!. May you become the apex predator all locust are meant to be. XD

#62 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

View PostLanzman, on 27 July 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

That is an awesome thread. I've modded my 1M Locust with 2 SSRM2s and a ML. I get killed a lot but I also got my first kill with it tonite. w00t!

According to current popular locust theory, you should be running ferro/ES xl190 DHS. Your armor should be heavily front loaded and the arms should only have 5 points and the head 1 (my PB has 0 head and arm armor). This would leave you with 7 tons available for weapons. So you could fit a second ml or a tag on your 1m with 2 tons of ammo for the streaks. You would probably find the tag very useful with he amount of ecm around these days.

#63 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:57 PM

Changed my Locust to mount 2 MLs and 2 SRM2s. Not really liking the bug too much. Not that it lacks firepower, because the build I'm using is respectable for a 20 tonner. Not that I get killed too easily, because it's a light mech. No, the issue is the darn thing has horrible visibility. I'm always running into terrain features and getting stuck, or killed by bad guys behind me that I've no idea are there. I just can't see well enough out of that tiny little cockpit. It's like I'm looking thru a toilet paper tube. I may have to chalk it up to experience and go buy a Blackjack or Grasshopper. :angry:

#64 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:07 PM

View PostLanzman, on 02 August 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

Changed my Locust to mount 2 MLs and 2 SRM2s. Not really liking the bug too much. Not that it lacks firepower, because the build I'm using is respectable for a 20 tonner. Not that I get killed too easily, because it's a light mech. No, the issue is the darn thing has horrible visibility. I'm always running into terrain features and getting stuck, or killed by bad guys behind me that I've no idea are there. I just can't see well enough out of that tiny little cockpit. It's like I'm looking thru a toilet paper tube. I may have to chalk it up to experience and go buy a Blackjack or Grasshopper. :angry:

Try changing the FOV in settings, it helps a bit. It is actually something you grow quite accustomed to after awhile, but it can be annoying especially compared to a Griffin. But watch out for shadowhawks and hunchbacks they are hard to see out of as well.

#65 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:21 AM

If you think about it in game terms, it makes no sense to restrict the FoV like that. But if you think in terms of "realism" then of course you want the pilot of your walking tank to be exposed as little as possible. I mean, real-world armored vehicles don't have big huge windshields/canopies. They have tiny little viewing slits.

#66 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:36 AM

View PostLanzman, on 03 August 2015 - 04:21 AM, said:

If you think about it in game terms, it makes no sense to restrict the FoV like that. But if you think in terms of "realism" then of course you want the pilot of your walking tank to be exposed as little as possible. I mean, real-world armored vehicles don't have big huge windshields/canopies. They have tiny little viewing slits.

This is true. I run my locusts with 1 or 0 armor on the head, so I suppose having the restricted view is a fair trade for being able to get away with so little armor. :D

#67 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 03 August 2015 - 05:36 AM, said:

This is true. I run my locusts with 1 or 0 armor on the head, so I suppose having the restricted view is a fair trade for being able to get away with so little armor. :D

Locust armor theory scares most people frozen.

#68 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts
  • LocationIn your base, eating your food!

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:43 AM

Hi There,

I saw your post as a new player, and thought you would like to play with our group and see if you are a good fit!
Please stop by and check us out at!

http://www.aces-hq.com/index.php

TeamSpeak3 Server: voip01.n1585.hypernia.net:9992

Warm Regards,

Araevin Teshurr
Founding MechWarrior
Veteran of the Battle of Tukayyid and Operation 24.

#69 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

I've mastered my Griffins, given up (mostly) on my Locust, but have started on Blackjacks and am having great success with them. Especially the basic one with two A/C 2s and four medium lasers. I don't know why this loudout makes such a difference but I am CRUSHING it with this mech. Strangely, doing much better than with my second BJ, which has two PPCs and four medium lasers. Maybe I'm a Davion at heart and just love autocannons?

#70 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:34 PM

View PostLanzman, on 09 August 2015 - 07:16 PM, said:

I've mastered my Griffins, given up (mostly) on my Locust, but have started on Blackjacks and am having great success with them. Especially the basic one with two A/C 2s and four medium lasers. I don't know why this loudout makes such a difference but I am CRUSHING it with this mech. Strangely, doing much better than with my second BJ, which has two PPCs and four medium lasers. Maybe I'm a Davion at heart and just love autocannons?

Which Locust?

Also: You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion. You are Davion.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 09 August 2015 - 07:35 PM.

#71 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:50 AM

Lanz... search up the Boomjack. (BJ-1)

Trust me. Mastered this build before it was cool it became the champion loadout.

(And the Fastjack, or BJ-1x, joined the thousand damage club the first time with that one.)

#72 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:56 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 10 August 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

Trust me. Mastered this build before it was cool it became the champion loadout.

(And the Fastjack, or BJ-1x, joined the thousand damage club the first time with that one.)

I remember running my 1X with 6 MLs, and 2 MPLs, long before the days of UI 2.0. I named it "Boxer", because it got in your face, and punched you to slag.

#73 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:14 PM

Lanzman, if you ever get the itch to locust again give the 1E a shot it is great. Also, the trial BJ-1 with ac20 was one of my favorites...so much BOOM :D

#74 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:42 AM

View PostLanzman, on 16 June 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

New player here, just started two nights ago. Not really asking for help yet since I don't know enough to ask an intelligent question yet, but just wanted to get involved.

So far I've run around the training areas a lot, and played about six real matches (and survived one of 'em!) where I've mostly died a quick, horrible death. Already I see quirks.

I get focused on targeting a bad guy and run into an obstacle where I stop moving and get killed. I focus on navigating the terrain and lose track of the bad guys and get killed. I get a good hit on a bad guy and get all happy and then two of his buddies hit me and I get killed.

So far I'm having even more fun with this than I thought I would. Yeah, the learning curve is steep and I've not been a computer gamer - avoided it as the timesink it is - but I've been a BattleTech fan since the late 80s and after watching a bunch of the Youtube videos I just couldn't resist.

Anyway, just joined and loving it. Thanks.

Welcome to the family!!!

Yes, learning curve IS steep. But if you can climb that, the other side is very nice.

What you described is called "Situaltional Awareness". Generally, knowing what is around you at any given point. This skill is more like a muscle. You need to use it or it will atrophy. You also get better at it with play experience.

One more thing you have done that is a step in the right direction, you joined a Faction. Go the extra step and find yourself a Unit of like minded people. Your Faction forum of Community Warfare is your source for that info. Once in a Unit they are a WEALTH of info, sips, and the best part, people to play with!

Glad you are here. Don't afraid to ask questions. Find yourself a Unit.

Have fun!!!!

#75 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:45 AM

View PostLanzman, on 17 June 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

This is exactly the strategy I've been using. Identify lancemates, stick with them (or try to at least) and shoot where they shoot.

You are far ahead of every other solo pug in the game.

Keep up the good work!!

#76 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:53 AM

Lanz, Davion does a weekly Wednesday Night Warfare.

ALL are welcome and we join up on Davion TS and drop CW.

Great for meet and greets.
Get to know some of the other Davion pilots/Units.
Good place to find a Unit to join.
Good way to learn new ways of doing things.

Weekly meeting place for Davions/solo to get into CW and not do it alone. Not all about winning nor loosing. It's about building a Davion Community, play as Davions, learn as Davions, have fun, all of us, under the Davion banner.

Come look!

Posted Image

#77 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:16 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 10 August 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

I have a Boomjack in the stable and when I'm on the right maps I do really well with it. My first 300+ match was in it, IIRC. But if I'm on a map best suited to long-range fights (like Alpine Peaks) then it's not too good. Tho even there, in the right circumstances, I do a lot of damage with it.

More importantly, this past Sunday I pulled the Locust out of mothballs and played a couple matches in it. First one I had the bad luck to have a Spider and Arctic Cheetah behind me in a chase situation and I got killed before I could even respond. But the second match was played on Crimson Strait and the situation was utterly perfect. I scouted for my team, tagged a couple bad guys with a medium laser squirt or two, and then got the "Your base is being captured" alarm. Being the fastest mech on my team, I ran back to base to find a Stormcrow squatting there. I ran circles around that guy, stinging him repeatedly and fixing him in place until a couple heavier mechs could get there and finish him off. The buildings provided perfect cover for my speeding bug and he didn't get a hit on me. Once the Stormcrow was dispatched, I ran to the bad guys' base and began to capture that. When a couple of 'em showed up to contest me, I ran all around them, weaving thru the streets and buildings, tagging them again and again with lasers and SRMs. Finally got legged and then killed, but by then it made no difference as the rest of my team showed up and killed them. They were the last two guys left on their team and we won. I finished with around 100 damage (in a freakin' Locust that I couldn't do ten points with before now!) and had the most exciting time yet playing this game.

Maybe I won't give up on the bug just yet.

#78 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:29 PM

Like Elizander said previously, being familiar with each map is always a positive, so the testing grounds should always be something both new and veteran MechWarriors should use as much as possible, when not in a drop/match, so as they can be accustomed to what map each looks like, the terrain, the best places to set up ambushes against enemy 'Mechs, sniping locations, etc. Unfortunately not many people use the training grounds for this purpose, more for just testing out their new 'Mechs, but if you are patient and take the time to fully explore each map of the training grounds, you gain a better understanding of just how to utilise those maps when you are dropped into them in a match and it can mean the difference between victory or defeat (even if your team loses the match yet you survive), it is because you were able to fully know every inch of the terrain on any given map and be able to certain places which provide good covering fire to hit the enemy whilst helping your team mates out.

I cannot remember the amount of times I spend in the training grounds on the new River City and Forest maps, just to get the lay of the land, and that has helped me tremendously in knowing just where the enemy team 'Mechs are likely to group up or try and flank from.

Ed: added small content.

Edited by Leif Tanner, 14 September 2015 - 04:31 PM.

#79 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:21 AM

Hey. Been a while. It's time to review and give some thoughts.

As of today I've had 1156 matches. Been killed way more than survived, but doing not quite 50/50 in the win/loss column. Having all kinds of fun - this is a great game. I'm still just doing what I understand are called PUG drops? Not with a unit, not doing community warfare, just dropping in and having at it. I figure learn the game first, then go for the harder modes. So here's my thoughts.

Of the three available match types, I prefer skirmish, then assault, and last is conquest (unless I'm in one of my Locusts, then conquest is first). I have played thru Griffins, Locusts, Blackjacks, and now Marauders. I've had the most success in the Blackjacks for some reason. My play style favors long range, so that might have something to do with it. Of the BJs, I have the least success in the Boomjack, which with its AC/20 is pretty much a short/medium range mech suited mostly for brawling, and the basic Blackjack is not a brawling mech - too fragile. The Locusts - man, it's just fun to scoot around in those and annoy bigger mechs. I have one fitted out with a single ERLL and that's the one I like the best but all three of them are loads of fun. I also enjoy humbling overconfident Spider pilots. The Griffins just feel manly, all big and tall and "come get some, punk!" And of course I love my Marauders to death. I see some questionable MAD builds running around, people who dont' seem to get the point of the mech, but eh . . . I'll have more to say about the meta a bit later. Mostly I run my MADs with either PPCs or LLs as their main weapons, with autocannon or gauss rifle for back-up. I enjoy them immensely and am trying to get them all levelled up before the Warhammer drops tomorrow. Don't think I'll quite make it, but almost there.

I also have a Cicada, Zeus, and Wolverine that were some kind of reward or prize things for something. Wasn't really clear on it and have hardly used them at all as I don't care for any of them. Never liked them in tabletop either . . . especially the Wolverine, which in its original incarnation was woefully under-gunned. I mean, a single AC/5, SRM6, and medium laser? A freakin' Whitworth has more firepower than that.

Which leads me to my next point. Like I said, I started in BattleTech with the tabletop game back in the 80s and as a result have a really low tolerance for what we used to call "munchkin" players. You know the kind, they want to shove five gauss rifles into an Atlas, that kind of thing. From the perspective of the tabletop game, the meta in MWO is nothing but pure munch. Too many of the mechs have waaaaaaay too much firepower built into them, and the dominant meta seems to be "cram as many lasers into a chassis as you can and screw anything else." Now understand, I'm saying this from the tabletop perspective. From the strictly MWO view, this is only natural - players are competitive, the "rules" allow it, and so it's unavoidable. I do it too, for gosh sakes - I have a Marauder with four LLs and an UAC/5 for spice. The purist in me wishes the mechs were much more limited to what we had in the pen-and-paper-and-dice days, but whattayagonnado?

And that brings me to the always-popular topic of "balance." Lots of stuff is justified in the name of game balance . . . the quirks, the meta, etc. On the forums I've seen a lot of talk about how the Clan mechs started out as too superior to the IS ones, and so things are constantly tweaked and nerfed and buffed in the name of balance. Well, in my view the Clan mechs are supposed to be superior to the Inner Sphere ones. The Clans were stomping every IS unit they fought in the beginning of the Clan invasion. Eventually the Great Houses figured out first tactics, then strategies that enabled them to start winning. In the era that MWO is supposedly set in, tho, the Clan mechs should have range, weight, heat, and damage output characteristics that are just plain better than IS mechs of the same weight class. That was kind of the point of the Clans. Of course, in the lore the Clans would put a star of five mechs against an IS company of twelve, so that kind of supplied the balance. MWO is all about 12v12, and mixed Clan/IS teams at that, so . . . meh. I think this aspect of the game could have been managed better.

Speaking of weapons, tho, I have some observations about that aspect of the game. PPCs, for example, are pretty cool IMHO but I'd like the visual representation of PPC fire to be a bit more robust. Right now they look sort of like "fuzzy" lasers. I think they should look more lightning-ish. Maybe some kind of zig-zaggy effect added around the core bolt? I know changing your resolution settings affects how things appear, but PPC bolts are supposed to be man-made lightning. Be nice if they looked more like that. Lasers, I mostly like how the fire from those appears. And I really dig the "wub-wub-wub" of pulse lasers. Just the sound effect is cool. LRMs, I prefer the Clan "machine gun" missile fire to the IS "shotgun blast." The Clan way is how I always envisioned LRM launchers to work. SRMs, the shotgun seems right for those. I'd like it if they corkscrewed a bit in flight, but otherwise I like the missile stuff. Autocannons, tho . . . look, autocannon are supposed to fire a burst of shells with each shot, not a single one. In MWO, only the Ultra ACs fire the way all the autocannon should. Like, an AC/2 should go "bangbang" with each shot, an AC/5 "bangbangbangbangbang" and so on. And LB-X series are supposed to be able to switch between regular unitary shot and "shotgun" submunition shot. From what I can tell the MWO LB-X series all fire only in shotgun mode. Makes me wonder what might happen if this game ever introduces rotary autocannon. On the other hand, machine guns, flamers, and gauss rifles all strike me as being done just as they should be.

There's a couple other things I think MWO has gotten wrong, but they're minor quibbles. For instance, mechs are supposed to be able to raise their arms. In fact, one of the lore reasons mechs were invented in the first place was that the human-like mobility made them much more flexible than standard tanks and armored vehicles when dealing with multiple environments. So this idea that a Griffin's arms are "fixed" in that low-slung position with only limited side-to-side motion is just plain wrong. There should be no meta for high-mounted arms (like on the Blackjack) because all of the mechs are supposed to be able to lift their arms. Hell, some of 'em should be able to flip their arms into their rear arcs. In MWO the first one I think of is the Quickdraw, and soon the Rifleman. Which leads me to the lack of rear arcs in this game. There are no rear-mounted weapons and no visibility to the rear of your mech, which is understandable from a game-dynamics point of view but frustrating for those of us who played the tabletop game.

I would also like to see a physical combat component to the game - punch, kick, push, charge, and death from above. Which would also have the wonderful effect of making the Hatchetman, Axman, Berserker, and other ax-carrying mechs a part of the game.

Oh yeah, the maps. There's none of 'em I don't really like, altho I do have favorites - Tourmaline Desert and Alpine Peaks are always fun, and Mining Collective and Crimson Straits are great for brawling-style fights. There are a few changes I would make . . . HPG Manifold, for example, I'd "fill in" the rest of the circle around the outside of the structure part of the map so that you could run all the way around the outside. I'd also make all of the maps available in all game modes. There's several that are only used in community warfare mode that should be open to the rest of us. I run around them in training mode just to see what they look like and would really like them available in quick matches. Overall I think the maps are the one area of the game where PGI has not got it right - there should be more of them, they should be bigger and more varied, and there should definitely be a Solaris set of maps for arena matches. I would love to see the stats on which maps are being chosen more than others now that we "vote" on which map we want to use. Oh, and Viridian Bog really needs some attention to scaling - the plants on that map speak of a low-gravity environment due to their sheer size. Especially those lily-pad things.

Umm . . . I think that's about it. Maybe let us "paint" our mechs more precisely instead of being tied to pre-made patterns? I have a favored color scheme (brick red and slate gray) from my tabletop days running my merc unit that I can approximate with the in-game controls but not get quite right. Oh, and it should be possible to concede a match by withdrawing beyond the map edge, so if a skirmish match gets down to something like eleven against two, the two should be able to concede instead of run-and-hide or "last stand"-ing it.

Thanks for reading all this, if you're still with me.

#80 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

Nice detailed post. I do want to bring one thing up:

The reward Wolverine is currently the ONLY IS mech with MASC. So give it a shot if you want to achieve stupid high speeds with a medium. (it hits 114 Kph with a max engine, BEFORE you factor in the 12% speed bonus from MASC). It also allows a mech to twist, and turn super fast faster than normal.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 18 January 2016 - 05:58 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users