17 replies to this topic

#1 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:09 AM

I've recently started to pilot some mechs in which, for the first time, I find I occasionally lose all weapons.

So, what's the best thing to do when this happens?

Run to friendlies who do have weapons, and try to provide a distraction when they engage the enemy? Wave arms angrily? Yell rude things into VOIP to demoralize the enemy? Something more devious or inventive than this?

#2 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:18 AM

If you find yourself without weapons early in the match, you can provide spotting for the rest of the team. Perhaps try to flank the enemy and spot for the LRM boats.

If it's near the end of the match, and your team is pushing into the enemy force, push with them in the front if you can. You still have armor and provide another target, distraction, to the enemy.

If the enemy could hear you over VOIP, then yes, yelling expletives at the enemy is always recommended. Unfortunately, your comms are limited to your team. "All Chat", however works well. So type your insults in all CAPS. ;)

#3 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

View Postjss78, on 18 June 2015 - 05:09 AM, said:

Yell rude things into VOIP to demoralize the enemy?

wouldn't that be nice B)
though only your team can hear you :D

run back to the team
be a meatshield, draw some fire while protecting others (personally I ignore targets that are not a threat to me at that point, rather engage that dual gauss behind you :ph34r: )
you can still target things for info or LRM's

go kamikaze, run out of bounds
just don't hide in a hole and shutdown; or even better: hide in a hole, shut down and leave the game
no bueno

#4 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:24 AM

It depends on the situation, really.

situation 1:
Your team is losing in points on conquest... try to find bases far from the action and enemy position and navigate the map to get there unnoticed to cap

situation 2:
Your team is wining in points on conquest... I hide as best as I can and wait for the win.

situation 3:
Your team is losing in kills at assault... I try to find a friendly in need of help and move to aid with my presence and give another target to the enemy, while blocking his shots with my free armor (or anything I can still have)

situation 4:
Your team is wining in kills at assault... either go hide or move in the field to distract the enemies so they chase the easy kill, making them split up as my team can then crush half of them.

situation 5:
Your team is losing by kills at skirmish... I use my mech as a distraction much like in situation 3

situation 6:
Your team is wining by kills on skirmis... same as situation 4 basically

situation 7:
CW matches, your team is wining or needs the number count to keep the possibility of the win alive... I hide and try to survive

situation 8:
CW matches, your team is losing or in a tight spot... Just eject or use the mech as a distraction.

There are other grey areas but this sums it up pretty much...

#5 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:04 AM

Spotting and scouting for your team helps or being an extra target on the front line only if they are pushing. It doesn't work as well when you are being mobbed though. Maybe ram some enemy mechs to get an assist. :lol:

#6 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:28 AM

View Postjss78, on 18 June 2015 - 05:09 AM, said:

I've recently started to pilot some mechs in which, for the first time, I find I occasionally lose all weapons.

So, what's the best thing to do when this happens?

Run to friendlies who do have weapons, and try to provide a distraction when they engage the enemy? Wave arms angrily? Yell rude things into VOIP to demoralize the enemy? Something more devious or inventive than this?

play conquest
cap points

#7 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:33 AM

I usually just try to distract the enemy, draw fire, and provide moving cover for my allies. If it's really early spotting can be more useful. If I have JJs then its Mario stomp time, because it is as fun as anything else. :)

#8 Mondeza

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 20 posts
  • Location/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:46 AM

Depends on how much damage I have taken.

If a breeze could kill me I spot for as long as possible. That way at least I am doing some good as I dont have enough armour to be a meat shield.

If i am still in pretty good shape, torso-wise, then I try and distract and absorb damage.

Really depends on the situation and how much damage I can take before I also become a number at the top of the screen,

#9 Boaz Roshak

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 96 posts
  • LocationApperently , back on the island

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:47 AM

Go get in behind the red guys. you are spoting and you can block thier ablity to move. As an added benifit they may forget you are cripeled and notice you are back there and turn thier backs to the rest of your team.

Edited by Boaz Roshak, 18 June 2015 - 06:49 AM.

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:50 AM

Remember that your priority is for your team to win so whatever you do should be for that goal. Depending on the gamemode and win conditions, hiding may be appropriate towards the end of the match, but not in general. If you are the last mech alive on your team in skirmish and there are at least two enemy mechs, please do us all a favor and just run in and die. There is no hope for your team to win anymore and all you would be doing is wasting everyone's time.

#11 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:53 AM

Stand behind an enemy Mech and block his movement.

Due to PGIphysics, even a lowly Locust can stop an assault from moving in this way.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:09 AM

it depends on the map, the game mode, the Mech you are in, when in the game you get stripped and a few other factors.

if you are on conquest game mode and move 70+ then cap,

if you are the last surviving Mech in assault game mode and all the enemy are in bad shape then perhaps fall back to base.

if you still have some armor left then try to absorb some damage for your surviving allies

always try to keep an enemy locked if you can see one so your allies know where they are (this is good practice regardless of the condition of your Mech).

if in CW then die gloriously or eject

while you never suggested this as a stratagy, whatever you do, DO NOT run away and shutdown somewhere in the hope that the enemy will not find you, this is one of the best ways to annoy the other 23 players, and is against the Code of Conduct

#13 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:46 AM

Keep engaging the enemy or cap.

If there is only one spider left get into an area where you can spot the bugger for the team. I had a stalker with only a TAG and BAP once and did that, but the spider found me. I think that I was at 8% and setting up in an area to spot him. Fantastic Tuesday (in that #$% spider) also recorded the encounter showing off how to use two TAGs at once for more C-bills. That video is on Youtube.

Do what you figure can be done to help the team. Be it a meat shield, caper, spotter.

Now if you have a UAV, Arty or airstrike you are still dangerous. Now if you have LRM boats on the team there is an interesting thing to do just spot

If you have BAP or ECM you still have a role to play. Providing ECM cover or Countering the ECM so people can see what is around you.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 18 June 2015 - 07:46 AM.

#14 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:06 AM

charge the nearest enemy and attempt to restrict its movement by getting in the way of wherever its going. You'll force it to deal with you, otherwise it's a standing target for your allies. Works best on assault mechs.

#15 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:54 PM

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet: RAM THEM! While knockdowns have been removed there IS collision damage. If you see a mech with a bright red leg slam into it a few times and pop it off. I've done this a few times to prevent a light from running away.

Edited by Spike Brave, 18 June 2015 - 02:54 PM.

#16 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:24 PM

I had this situation last night: in my hunchie playing Skirmish in Frozen City following the murderball, kinda watching our 6. The next thing I know, a King Crab that had been behind a couple of buildings that our none of our scouts checked lays into me with 2 ac20's. I take couple of seconds to identify the threat, lock target etc.; then do what damage I can. The KGC eventually gets both my side torsos and I'm a stick. I notice that several members of my team are heading this direction.

Q: What do I do?
Q: How can I help my team?
A: Flip to 3rd person and get right in the KGC's face.

I stay there, moving with the Crab to keep my position. I was inside his arms, so he couldn't shoot me with the AC20's, although he could shoot me with a couple of small lasers. The result is that the KGC can't see the other members of my team (and thus can't shoot them), who were then able to put down Crab without taking damage. I eventually died from the small lasers, but by that time, it was a moot point.

Be aware of your situation, and don't be afraid to think outside the box.

Edited by bar10jim, 18 June 2015 - 03:24 PM.

#17 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:30 AM

If I am in a fast light or have ecm I generally inform my team that I am going to flank and and spot assist. In a slower mech I try to lead the push with what I armor have left, or flank so that the enemy puts it's back to the firing line so they can push. I have seen some pilots pin mechs in the open so that the peek and shooters get caught. In cap maps, I try to cap far from the fight or head to base if it's going bad for my team and hope turrents can take a few out should I be the last man up. Actually won a game that way once when the last 2 enemy lights decided not to wait on timer to wind down. Its All situational. But asking your team how you can help is the way to go. If they are attentive you can still swing a kill or two and possibly the win. Big IF thought as most people don't care about anything other than what's in front of them.

#18 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:24 PM

View Postbar10jim, on 18 June 2015 - 03:24 PM, said:

I stay there, moving with the Crab to keep my position. I was inside his arms, so he couldn't shoot me with the AC20's, although he could shoot me with a couple of small lasers. The result is that the KGC can't see the other members of my team (and thus can't shoot them), who were then able to put down Crab without taking damage. I eventually died from the small lasers, but by that time, it was a moot point.

Be aware of your situation, and don't be afraid to think outside the box.

I did not know that the arms had a blind spot...
I'll have to keep that in mind when I pilot my crab.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users