8 replies to this topic

#1 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:00 PM

I'm generally curious if anyone else notices a difference in spreading damage in a chicken walker vs a man walker mech?

My impression is that it's significantly harder to avoid getting cored out in my chicken walkers than it is in humanoid mechs. My understanding is that it's due to the protruding torsos/noses on the chicken walker mechs. If your CT is taking more damage than the rest of your mech, the reaction is to twist your mech's shoulders towards the enemy to shield the CT. When this is done in a humanoid mech, the CT is now almost completely blocked to the enemy. However, in a chicken mech, the nose is still protruding and easy enough to hit. To truly protect the CT in a chicken walker, you have to rotate MUCH farther to keep your nose/torso from being in the line of fire. Unfortunately, you usually have to rotate the torso SO much more that you now expose potions of your back in the effort to hide your CT.

Thoughts comments and trolling may commence...

Now.

#2 Morganism

• Pip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:08 PM

I think another large factor is turn rate.

Humanoid mechs can typically shield and spread damage more efficiently because of the humanoid design. Without the CT/ST protrusion they can (in theory) avoid that damage better.

I have a very easy time spreading damage on high turn rate, high twist speed and large twist radius mechs. Regardless of their construction.

Construction has to do with it, but the ability to react to incoming fire is about as important as the mech design. After that it comes down to the opponent being able to hit that CT or my back as it becomes exposed trying to protect the CT.

PS - I will note that most of my deaths in "chicken walking" mechs is from CT destruction. I also primarily play Clan mechs and IS lights.

PPS - I do find spreading damage on the new EBJ is far more difficult than on the EXE. And I will usually get CTed or legged because of how I have to maneuver out of combat.

Edited by Morganism, 18 June 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

There are exceptions like the Stalker and Mad Cat, but overall there does seem to be a trend where a flat chest is easier to spread damage with than a "bullet" chest. Since most humanoids have large shoulders/arms, that helps even further.

#4 ozmodion

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:15 PM

profile yourself, give the enemy less of a target

#5 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:17 PM

Well there is hitting what is visually the nose, and then there is hitting the center torso hitbox. That part varies from chicken walker to chicken walker. You can hit the catapult's CT from about 230 degrees around the mech, it seems. The Raven has a long beak, too, but it seems to spread the damage well.

In humanoid mechs, it's pretty easy to guess where the hitboxes are.

Edited by Felio, 18 June 2015 - 01:18 PM.

#6 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:22 PM

For me its FAR easier to spread damage on humanoid mechs, which is partly why I'm enjoying my Exec. more than my EBJ's at the moment.

#7 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

scr is a humanoid chicken

p.s. man by plato it's a two legged animal without feathers

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 18 June 2015 - 02:28 PM.

#8 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 18 June 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

scr is a humanoid chicken

p.s. man by plato it's a two legged animal without feathers

scr htboxes are twisted in 5 dimension, doesn't count

#9 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

Chicken Walkers / Mech without arms - High mounted weapons, limited torso twisting
Humanoid Mechs - Low slung weapons, great at torso twisting.

I think it's a fair trade off

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users