Here's How To Ask For Assistance...

11 replies to this topic

#1 Colin Thrase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

So I'm leveling the new mechs, and as a result I suspect my Elo is suffering again (no skill unlocks for these guys yet). I think normally I'm in the "capable of supporting a team but not carrying one" bracket, so this drops me to the "not very skilled but my angst/rage says it's my team's fault" bracket.

Anyway, we're playing a game tonight (6/20) in Crimson Strait, when one of our team just says "F*CKING HELP" in team chat. No context provided. Now normally I'm not a big fan of all caps, but if it's a team mate I'll help just the same. However, mere seconds after his cry for help, I see "XXX has killed YYY" (YYY being the team mate, whose name I won't provide due to name and shame, but happens to be a word that means serious brain injury. Maybe he'll recognize this situation if he browses forums, and learn something for next time).

So he's dead now (no time to get to him obviously), but in team chat I respond "Next time provide location, example HELP IN C3". I didn't expect to be thanked - I'm in the dregs of Elo so I figured he'd just rage quit soon. However, what followed was this series of remarks from him...

You guys are p**sies
You are all **ckless
This team ***ks ass

I asked if he was 13 or something - since I didn't think his blaming the team was very mature. This apparently enraged him further, and he switched to all caps with further remarks that I won't repeat, but he disconnected after nobody engaged.

If said player happens to read this, please keep in mind that we're all busy trying to do our best to win each game, and there can be a lot of sensory overload. Nobody wants to see their team mate die, but at the same time, we can't help you if you don't follow at least one of these few simple guidelines...
  • Provide your location - need help in C3
  • Provide situation - outnumbered 3-1 / need LRMs on F / Need cap assist /
  • Provide opponent location - need help C3, attackers in C4
  • Provide tips at best targets - heavies in F4, Stalker is red CT Atlas is out of ammo
  • Provide intended recipients - need LIGHTS to C3, bring TAG
  • Provide warning of potential problem - ECM in G4 coming your way
These tips are actually good for anyone, not just that player, so I'm hoping new players try to do this - it really helps the team out, and as I've often heard in 12/0 rolls: "Teamwork is OP needs nerf".

If in fact the player whose name is another word for 'brain injury' does read this, and thinks this is a lot to have to type out under stress, I can empathize. This game had no voice chat option for a long time, and many of us probably can't type that fast under duress - so now you can press your voice key (check in settings) and just say those things if you prefer. A pretty cheap microphone can be had for < $5 here. I'm not sure how good the quality is on that thing, so instead of things like 'A3, B2, C4', you should try using the phonetic alphabet:
  • Alpha
  • Bravo
  • Charlie
  • Delta
  • Echo
  • Foxtrot
  • Golf
  • Hotel
  • India
You can find the rest here but I think those are sufficient for this game.

GLHF in your future games. Hope you can get rid of that teenage angst too, or you'll have a hard time making meaningful contributions in-game.

Edited by Colin Thrase, 20 June 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:03 PM

View PostColin Thrase, on 20 June 2015 - 07:54 PM, said:

So I'm leveling the new mechs, and as a result I suspect my Elo is suffering again (no skill unlocks for these guys yet). I think normally I'm in the "capable of supporting a team but not carrying one" bracket, so this drops me to the "not very skilled but my angst/rage says it's my team's fault" bracket.

Anyway, we're playing a game tonight (6/20) in Crimson Strait, when one of our team just says "F*CKING HELP" in team chat. No context provided. Now normally I'm not a big fan of all caps, but if it's a team mate I'll help just the same. However, mere seconds after his cry for help, I see "XXX has killed YYY" (YYY being the team mate, whose name I won't provide due to name and shame, but happens to be a word that means serious brain injury. Maybe he'll recognize this situation if he browses forums, and learn something for next time).

So he's dead now (no time to get to him obviously), but in team chat I respond "Next time provide location, example HELP IN C3". I didn't expect to be thanked - I'm in the dregs of Elo so I figured he'd just rage quit soon. However, what followed was this series of remarks from him...

You guys are p**sies
You are all **ckless
This team ***ks ass

I asked if he was 13 or something - since I didn't think his blaming the team was very mature. This apparently enraged him further, and he switched to all caps with further remarks that I won't repeat, but he disconnected after nobody engaged.

If said player happens to read this, please keep in mind that we're all busy trying to do our best to win each game, and there can be a lot of sensory overload. Nobody wants to see their team mate die, but at the same time, we can't help you if you don't follow at least one of these few simple guidelines...
  • Provide your location - need help in C3
  • Provide situation - outnumbered 3-1 / need LRMs on F / Need cap assist /
  • Provide opponent location - need help C3, attackers in C4
  • Provide tips at best targets - heavies in F4, Stalker is red CT Atlas is out of ammo
  • Provide intended recipients - need LIGHTS to C3, bring TAG
  • Provide warning of potential problem - ECM in G4 coming your way
These tips are actually good for anyone, not just that player, so I'm hoping new players try to do this - it really helps the team out, and as I've often heard in 12/0 rolls: "Teamwork is OP needs nerf".

If in fact the player whose name is another word for 'brain injury' does read this, and thinks this is a lot to have to type out under stress, I can empathize. This game had no voice chat option for a long time, and many of us probably can't type that fast under duress - so now you can press your voice key (check in settings) and just say those things if you prefer. A pretty cheap microphone can be had for < $5 here. I'm not sure how good the quality is on that thing, so instead of things like 'A3, B2, C4', you should try using the phonetic alphabet:
  • Alpha
  • Bravo
  • Charlie
  • Delta
  • Echo
  • Foxtrot
  • Golf
  • Hotel
  • India

GLHF in your future games. Hope you can get rid of that teenage angst too, or you'll have a hard time making meaningful contributions in-game.

All players should really learn from this situation. That is exactly the kind of behavior NOT to use if you want your teammates to actually help you.

Plus, we're not omniscient, if you don't press "R" to let us know you're engaged with enemies, we don't know why you're spinning around. Could be you're stuck on terrain, could be your cat got on the keyboard, whatever. Plus, we're busy being shot at as well. So getting some kind of indication that you need help can improve everyone's experience immensely.

#3 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 295 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:05 PM

I may be a total noob but the R key was like the second thing I picked up after "front toward enemy."

#4 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:23 PM

Me thinks many pugs don't go forum. Here's why :

(from a game i played) "I need advise for mech selection. Where can i go looking for help?"

"Search the forums"

"Forums are evil"

With perception like that, i don't think many of them pugs will come here and read this, unless they are forum warriors like us.

1/2 of the pug population don't even know there's an event going on unless it is shown at the front of the launch screen or if someone says it in game.

Edited by dragnier1, 20 June 2015 - 10:23 PM.

#5 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:24 PM

I get this occasionally as well, and OP I really feel your pain. I have been on the other end of the chat though as well. I try to use comms whenever possible, and when I do I use the phonetic alphabet, but I can't tell you the number of times I've identified targets and locations or provided information and only received silence in return. Granted this doesn't usually happen, but it happens often enough to make me wonder if my mic is even working.

I am at a loss to explain why players don't use in-game comms more often. Text chat is so clunky to use, and nearly impossible to use in the heat of battle. Also, if I'm engaged with the enemy I often don't even see the text pop up, or maybe I've learned to ignore the kill notices and wind up ignoring other things as well.

As far as pugs reading the forum I don't understand that either. They practically had to come here to get the game and the download and initial patch takes a while so why wouldn't you poke around on the website while that's going on?

#6 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:46 AM

Immature teammates are never worth anyone's time to deal with.

You should have reported him.

#7 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:19 AM

I record all my games for making Youtube videos on how to, tutorials, reviews and music video's and I had one guy after he called for help I did the same thing

"Just yelling for help means nothing on coms" it turns out he was in a heavy by him self and decided to attack four assaults alone thinking hes supermech, while we all were in a small ball of death on the other side of the map. After he died I tried to talk to him and his only answer was..

"You should go play hello kitty island adventures" Over and over again so I just trimmed that clip of him repeating his words and reported him..

I do understand that people get pissed when they lose but you have to know that in three more minutes you get to play another one. There is a big difference from getting pissed when you die, to a 50 year old acting like a 12 year old repeating "Hello kitty"...

New player help is as follows...

1)Point the pointy thingy at the other team
2)Face forward
3)Listen to players on coms
4)If you get a 50 year old acting like a 12 year old, just know he most likely lives in his moms basement for real
5)Most of all HAVE FUN. A game is to have fun and if you find you die alot, learn from it and move on, and if you get pissed way too much then step back and walk away for an hour and play again..

Just some advice from

Triskin
Order of the Golden Dawn

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:21 AM

I find a far more effective way to get help that typing in chat is to launch a UAV
A UAV makes a great distress signal, when your allies see a huge blob of red triangles they will usualy move to engage which should help you.

for the record I think the UAV is the best consumable and carry it on almost every Mech I own, yes it is true 1 time in 10 you may get good damage or possibly even a kill from arty or airstrike but a well placed UAV will often turn the course of a battle.

#9 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:25 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 21 June 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

I find a far more effective way to get help that typing in chat is to launch a UAV
A UAV makes a great distress signal, when your allies see a huge blob of red triangles they will usualy move to engage which should help you.

for the record I think the UAV is the best consumable and carry it on almost every Mech I own, yes it is true 1 time in 10 you may get good damage or possibly even a kill from arty or airstrike but a well placed UAV will often turn the course of a battle.

100% agree. The UAV is probably my best consumable. C-Bill for C-Bill I get more benefit out of it than any strikes, or other consumables. (I usually run UAV + Air strike on most of my mechs).

#10 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostColin Thrase, on 20 June 2015 - 07:54 PM, said:

You guys are p**sies

it doesn't stop to surprise me how you mutilate english so it went to censoring the word *****
kipling wrote children poetry with that word -_-

***** can sit by the fire and sing,
***** can climb a tree
Or play with a silly old cork and string
To 'muse herself, not me.

you should try using the phonetic alphabet:
  • Alpha
  • Bravo
  • Charlie
  • Delta
  • Echo
  • Foxtrot
  • Golf
  • Hotel
  • India

gosh, i cannot remember the names of all my coworkers and you want me to remember a list of random words

#11 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:19 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 21 June 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

gosh, i cannot remember the names of all my coworkers and you want me to remember a list of random words

Just take the letter designation, and make a word out of it. When I see "I", I usually think "Indigo"

Edited by IraqiWalker, 22 June 2015 - 05:14 PM.

#12 Threndor

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:16 AM

excellent post OP. I prefer voice (and try to start each match with 'Com Check' which usually loosens up the group and I've had some of the best matches when the team is talking. Unfortunately for me, I usually don't see typed chat as it goes off the screen pretty fast and I am usually looking at everything else on-screen (down-range, mini-map, hitting 'B' to see map layout, etc). For me: voice is -way- better! (I can type pretty fast, but I can't type and drive very well.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users