- - - - -

Erppc

5 replies to this topic

#1 Balchord

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:28 PM

So still muddling through damage concepts, most of it is falling into place, but one issue has consistantly vexed me. ErPPC, 10 damage stated, land 3 shots, reticle pops red, clean hit visualy, but the damage posted ( I got smoked on the thrid shot ) 14. This kind of thing is typical. Range was within 250m, so, anyone know what gives?

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:21 PM

As far as I am aware the only reasons for an IS PPC to deal damage other than 10 are:
you were firing beyond optimum range (810m for the ERPPC)
your shot removed a component
you were hitting a destroyed component (about half of damage gets transferred to the next component, or if you hit a destroyed arm where the side torso is also destroyed about 25% of damage is transferred to the CT

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:01 PM

Yeah that's about it. ^^ Did you shoot at a turret? When they are closed, the damage is reduced. It will read on the end of round screen as reduced as well.

Possibly a bug? Or bad hit registration? Or was this a clan erppc?

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 21 June 2015 - 11:01 PM.

#4 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:36 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 21 June 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

Yeah that's about it. ^^ Did you shoot at a turret? When they are closed, the damage is reduced. It will read on the end of round screen as reduced as well.

AFAIK damage done versus turrets (closed or open) isn't registered for your end of game damage numbers at all. At least, that's my personal experience.

#5 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:38 PM

Hmm...possible. I really don't know. never tested it.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:52 AM

View PostBalchord, on 21 June 2015 - 08:28 PM, said:

So still muddling through damage concepts, most of it is falling into place, but one issue has consistantly vexed me. ErPPC, 10 damage stated, land 3 shots, reticle pops red, clean hit visualy, but the damage posted ( I got smoked on the thrid shot ) 14. This kind of thing is typical. Range was within 250m, so, anyone know what gives?

Every weapon has a stated range. It's good that you included the range you were firing at.

The reticle should be a good indicator of a hit, but to be perfectly honest the reticle goes by client-side information on a server-authority game. Ultimately what that means is the server decides if the hit really lands. That said, clearly one shot landed clean. A second hit but was muffled.

Muffled damage, or reduced damage transfer as it is also called, is when you hit an already destroyed body part. I'm going to use Megamek, a virtual Battletech tabletop game, to demonstrate this.

Weapon Attack Phase
-------------------
Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-2N (Koniving)
ER PPC at Locust LCT-1S (Target); needs -1, rolls 10 : hits RA (hit aimed location)
Locust LCT-1S (Target) takes 10 damage to RA.
Armor destroyed, SECTION DESTROYED,
4 damage transfers to RT.
Critical hit on RA. Roll is 8; 1 location.
CRITICAL HIT on SRM 2.
Locust LCT-1S (Target) takes 4 damage to RT.
0 Armor remaining.

As demonstrated, 10 damage is delivered upon the Locust's right arm. The armor and section are destroyed, leaving 4 damage to transfer to the right torso.
There are two main differences to MWO: One the critical hits to the right torso would not happen from a hit to the arm. Two, a certain amount (used to be 50%, now believe it's 40%) of damage delivered to a destroyed limb is transferred to the body with the rest being lost.

So if you sent in 10 damage and hit... you got 10 damage if the limb is intact.

But lets say you hit the mech twice in two different spots. The first time you hit a normal spot and did 10 damage. The second time you hit a limb that was already destroyed (such as the side torso or maybe the shoulder after the arm was removed). Now only 40% of that damage transfers, meaning 60% is lost. What is 40% of 10 damage? 4. You did 14 damage total, correct? 2 hits, one weakened by damage transfer, and the other shot probably missed.

If written out, it would look like this.

Weapon Attack Phase
-------------------
Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-2N (Koniving)
ER PPC at Locust LCT-1S (Target); needs -1, rolls 10 : hits RA
Locust LCT-1S (Target) takes 10 damage to RA.
Armor destroyed, SECTION DESTROYED,

ER PPC at Locust LCT-1S (Target); needs 4, rolls 2 :misses.

ER PPC at Locust LCT-1S (Target); needs 3, rolls 7 : hits RA
Locust LCT-1S (Target) takes 0 damage to RA.
SECTION ALREADY DESTROYED, 60% damage absorbed.
4 damage transfers to RT.
Locust LCT-1S (Target) takes 4 damage to RT.
X Armor remaining.

Now lets assume you slung three shots and did hit three shots. Say they all hit the same spot (right torso for example). Now say the spot was already weakened. The first shot hits, 10 damage. Only needed 3 damage to destroy the limb. That means 7 damage left over, of that only 40% transfers so that's 2.8 damage that spreads to the next spot (center torso) and the rest (4.2 damage) is completely lost. So far that's 5.8 damage total dealt. Second shot, same spot. 4 damage transfers, 6 is lost. That's a total of 9.8 damage dealt. A third shot, same spot. 4 damage transfers, 6 is lost again. You're now at 13.8 damage dealt. The game doesn't seem to round much, so 13.8 is still 13. Though from what I have gathered the game is supposed to credit you with all damage that impacts whether it counts or not so this might not be the case.

I'm not gonna make a megamek-esque damage report for that. But I hope this information is useful to you.

Welcome to the MWO forums. If you have anything else to ask, feel free. ^_^

View PostSnagaDance, on 21 June 2015 - 11:36 PM, said:

AFAIK damage done versus turrets (closed or open) isn't registered for your end of game damage numbers at all. At least, that's my personal experience.

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 21 June 2015 - 11:38 PM, said:

Hmm...possible. I really don't know. never tested it.

It doesn't.

Turret HP: 150 in these vids (much less now).
End match damage dealt: "Zero."

Edited by Koniving, 22 June 2015 - 10:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users