When Will This Game Have Collision?

39 replies to this topic

#21 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

consumable? skill tree? wtf are you guys talking about.. I mean collision . Like any other game where object one slams into object two..
like what would happen in every single mechwarrior game since day one.

like , you know, if you slam your car into a tree it makes a sound.

To actually cite the dragon bowling nonsense is , idk , insane.. THat was how many years ago now ?

you all are FAR too complacent.

this is not rocket science.. Its just lazy devs and lazy playerbase.

#22 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

Aren't we getting collision noises next patch? Or, at some point. I think it was in the roadmap.

It's a nice touch, and a start.

#23 EmeraldSongbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAt my computer...

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:33 PM

If we are talking about collisions, then yeah this game needs them fixed... bad. I can't count the times I've run around as a light mech and shot invisible walls protruding off of meshes when I tried to be sneaky. HPG Manifold is a good one. If you are hiding under the ramps, you need to come out to hit an enemy or your shots hit some invisible nothing in the way.

If we are talking ramming, then yeah it would be cool, but imagine all the butthurt. My team would be kicking my Locust around like a soccerball... nevermind what the enemies would do to me...

Edited by Doobles, 28 June 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#24 blazing glory

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:53 PM

So...wait, I haven't been playing for a good while now, and from what I can gather from this, collisions have been removed and mechs just go through each other?

#25 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:18 PM

Mechs will take minor dmg from contact.

Here's a good story! Just tonight even!

Amansi. Bog. Pirate's Bane comes running around our flank, trying to spot or drop a red smoker or whatever, but I see him. so i shoot him, he turns to run, I pursue because my camping team was boring as **** anyway. He was pretty good, did some speed variatios to throw my lead off on my SRM, or try to anyway, and tried using the topography to his advantage as I had JJ and he didn;t. I had no support, I was a bit off and he had his ECM and my team was oblivious(we will get to that later), however he DID, in the form of some clan lurmer raining **** on me nonstop. Most missed as we were dodging between rocks, but between his persistence at my legs and the lrms splashing on me, My leg armor stripped, had one leg go red, the other was orange before I got him and returned to my team.

Teams are poking, still, from the two main circular terrace things in the middle of the map. My team, mostly below, theirs above. I went around back, around to the stairace to go up our terrace to see what I could see, found a nova trying to be sneaky, he lolpanicked at my mpl shot at his back and dove off the side. I used the terrace(and my cicada pals help) and managed to land several hits without exposing my legs to him. Move on.

by now it is getting to the wire, both teams down to maybe 5 mechs as the poking continues. Me and some medium, think it was a sparky, and something bigger went arounf to flank near the wall, came across a catapult LRM boat, smashed it, and a cutefox, got him too, but they had an ECM raven up top, and he got my one leg. I whipped around, saw him peek for another shot, fired my MPL at him, threw his aim off enough he didnt get me(he had ML) and I moved forward up to the high rock part of the wall so he couldnt see me again, while my much bigger team mates moved up the stairs to pursue him.

Wait.... WTF Sparky WTF are you.... goddam it get off me...(Sparky is litterally runing back and forth near this wall afraid for his life of thei Raven) dammit man get off my ass.... oh **** he stepped on my red leg.... **** HE DID IT TWICE(BOOM)

I die. My ******* team mate stepped on my one remaining leg, not once, but twice, and TK'd me. then he moved out, got shot in the back, returned fireinto a rock and then died. then it was 2 vs one against a gimp assault we had left for like 8 seconds, we lose.

So you know, while I wouldnt mind some collision feedback, i am not sure I could deal with more collision damage. Mostly, because it isnt even the enemy lights or anything, its my own ******* team that butthumps me every match, no matter what mech i am running as they all try to shuffle to the back because the lasers are scary.

So you know, big metal smashing sounds, OK. Big metal damage... ehhhh, lets try notification first and see if anyone changes the behavior before we put even more strain on the light mech %.

#26 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

View Poststjobe, on 22 June 2015 - 10:20 PM, said:

Your irrational hatred for lights is shining through there, Kristov.

Try suggesting something that's fair for all weight classes instead of something that's obviously and blatantly designed to make your assault benefit from the mechanics.

Actually StJobe, I have as much time in Lights as Assault, they are my 2 favorite classes to drive. I am very conscious of where my Mech is at all times in relation to other Mechs on my team and the enemy team and the enviroment, so I DON'T go ramming into them and using the bogus collision system to warp through Mechs, it's a very bad habit to get into and one I don't want to have to unlearn once collisions gets back in. We've been told all along they would be put back, along with knockdowns, and I know how bad the knockdown was in a Jenner, it's what I was using at the time, so I refuse to pick up bad habits and it annoys the hell out of me to see people straight up exploiting the collision system we have now with Lights ramming Assaults so they can warp through them.

I drove Lights in MW2, where we could go so fast that collisions with ANYTHING in the game were instant death for that Light, I loved CTF and I was usually the capper because I was one of the few who could avoid smearing myself all over the walls.

Now, if you happen to believe that ramming into Assaults and warping through them is a valid tactic, I think you can guess what I think of you, right? If you don't think that's a valid tactic, then proper collisions and knockdown shouldn't be an issue for you in a Light anymore than it would be for me in my Lights. Knockdowns are NOT that common in TT, they shouldn't be that common in MWO, but they should happen if you are being stupid and run full bore into a stationary Assault in a Light doing over 130kph, that's simple physics at work there. Be glad I don't ask for the same collision damage MW2 used, which was straight from TT, as moving over 120kph tends to be suicidal for Lights who can't avoid hitting things.

#27 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:36 PM

View Postblazing glory, on 28 June 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

So...wait, I haven't been playing for a good while now, and from what I can gather from this, collisions have been removed and mechs just go through each other?

Yes. There is initial resistance but if you keep moving, you will go through the other mech. Which is stupid.

Edited by El Bandito, 28 June 2015 - 07:37 PM.

#28 Rushmoar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:20 PM

View Postmekabuser, on 22 June 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

when?

In the next 2 or possibly 3 patches as per Russ' last town hall meeting.

#29 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:48 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 June 2015 - 07:36 PM, said:

Yes. There is initial resistance but if you keep moving, you will go through the other mech. Which is stupid.
it is stupid, but I'm not convinced full collision leads to better gameplay. More immersion sure, but... The number of atrociously bad pilots out there... Maybe it's for the best.

Maybe sound will help though, make people aware of what's happening.

#30 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:16 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 28 June 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

it is stupid, but I'm not convinced full collision leads to better gameplay. More immersion sure, but... The number of atrociously bad pilots out there... Maybe it's for the best.

Oh it will. Learning to go around slower mechs is easier than dodging LRMs. PGI after all, advertises MWO as a "thinking man's shooter", remember?

Also, immersion is something MWO desperately lack. Any is welcome.

Edited by El Bandito, 28 June 2015 - 09:17 PM.

#31 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:24 PM

We had it but PGI couldn't get mech falling location to sync with everyone's systems due to the netcode.

Guess what PGI is adding that falls over and has to be tracked and that no one gives flying frig about if the object falls in the same place on everyone's screens? Trees and lamp posts you can knock over. This is obviously a way for them to test this out on live servers without them having to deal with people complaining about the knock down net code being terrible while they work on it.

Or am I the only person who thinks that's obvious?

#32 Trev Firestorm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:09 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 28 June 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

It does lead to better gameplay, its removal was the #1 biggest mistake in the course of this game's development. Devs got trolled and so instead of adjusting some values they said **** you and now every tarded light leg humper thinks he's actually good.

#33 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:50 PM

View PostTrev Firestorm, on 28 June 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

It does lead to better gameplay, its removal was the #1 biggest mistake in the course of this game's development. Devs got trolled and so instead of adjusting some values they said **** you and now every tarded light leg humper thinks he's actually good.
this I certainly can't agree with. I could list a hell of a lot of worse mistakes over the course of the game's development :)

#34 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:57 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 June 2015 - 09:16 PM, said:

Oh it will. Learning to go around slower mechs is easier than dodging LRMs. PGI after all, advertises MWO as a "thinking man's shooter", remember?

Your choice of analogies makes my point better than I did.

For you and me, this is awesome. For the Great Unwashed Horde, though? All those who cry so loudly and regularly about LRM's being overpowered?

Will you still think this is a great feature when all those surats are repeatedly smashing into your mech and getting you stuck? I wonder :)

Also, immersion is something MWO desperately lack. Any is welcome.
I personally welcome any and all immersion features. But I'm that sort of player :)

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 28 June 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

We had it but PGI couldn't get mech falling location to sync with everyone's systems due to the netcode.

Guess what PGI is adding that falls over and has to be tracked and that no one gives flying frig about if the object falls in the same place on everyone's screens? Trees and lamp posts you can knock over. This is obviously a way for them to test this out on live servers without them having to deal with people complaining about the knock down net code being terrible while they work on it.

Or am I the only person who thinks that's obvious?
huh? It totally matters where people fall down. It's extremely important that people fall down in the right spot, and that spot is the same on everyone's screen. Trees and lamp posts? It wouldn't matter, and nobody would even know.

#35 JustEvil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:12 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 June 2015 - 09:16 PM, said:

(...) PGI after all, advertises MWO as a "thinking man's shooter", remember? (...)

Um, can you show me, where? Because last time I checked it was a simulation.
I'm really confused here and I would like to read some official statement (yeah, I've seen some reviews calling it thinking person shooter, but it wasn't from PGI, right?). Everyone throwing shooter everywere is driving me nuts.

Edited by JustEvil, 28 June 2015 - 11:13 PM.

#36 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:15 PM

View PostJustEvil, on 28 June 2015 - 11:12 PM, said:

Um, can you show me, where? Because last time I checked it was a simulation.
I'm really confused here and I would like to read some official statement (yeah, I've seen some reviews calling it thinking person shooter, but it wasn't from PGI, right?). Everyone throwing shooter everywere is driving me nuts.
That line was PGI's, from the early days.

#37 JustEvil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:24 PM

Line about thinking man's shooter? Can it be read somewhere? I'm really curious, because you know - if MWO is pretending to be a shooter then it will never be a game with more complex mechanic due to attracting wrong audience.

#38 Dar_Veider

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:30 PM

View PostRushmoar, on 28 June 2015 - 08:20 PM, said:

In the next 2 or possibly 3 patches as per Russ' last town hall meeting.

Really? I didn't read it...

Hope!!

#39 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:05 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 28 June 2015 - 10:57 PM, said:

huh? It totally matters where people fall down. It's extremely important that people fall down in the right spot, and that spot is the same on everyone's screen. Trees and lamp posts? It wouldn't matter, and nobody would even know.

Exactly why PGI is using it to test their ability to sync the location of knocked down objects.

#40 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

View PostJustEvil, on 28 June 2015 - 11:24 PM, said:

Line about thinking man's shooter? Can it be read somewhere? I'm really curious, because you know - if MWO is pretending to be a shooter then it will never be a game with more complex mechanic due to attracting wrong audience.

I think the line "Thinking Person's Shooter" might have come from this IGN preview.

Whether or not they got it from PGI or made it up themselves, I don't really know (and the mwomercs.com robots.txt prevents wayback machine from archiving the site, so no going back to May-June 2012 to see what they did say).

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users