Next Mech

9 replies to this topic

#1 Armagne

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:43 AM

Greetings fellow mechwarriors,

I have been playing for a few weeks now, trying out different trail mechs and grinding myself 3 Raven light mechs.
They are all unlocked fully and I find myself enjoying the role of spotter/sniper and harrasser.
Still not very good but I am improving and most importantly, having fun.

My aim is to get into CW .. I have read a lot on these forums and I understand its not .. optimal yet
However I do want to get a good set of mechs to participate

So .. which mech would be the best choice for both learning and later CW?
Should I start with a medium next or get a stalker as suggested in the CW guide?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cya on the battlefield

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:10 AM

One of the main *problems* in CW is your limited drop weight.
You have 240t of Mech to deploy distributed between 4 slots.
Thats an averange of 60t per slot.
Based on your posting I asume you want to pug.
A normal pug VS premade goes:
You drop you try to attack if you go against clans you get sloughtered by laservomit and gauss headshots at extreme ranges.
If you are up agains an other pug or several smaler groups some of them may be stupid enough to come at you and you can get them down one by one in close to med range.
If you defend you have a good chance to let clans come at brawling ranges, most of their mechs are mediocre brawlers.
So the best thing is get 1 good brawler ( T-bolt f.e.g. ) get a dakka mech ( a phract or something larger ) the other two depend on what you selected for the first two.
Either you get a 3rd heavy and some light ( with ECM ) or you take along a 2 meds ( one with ECM when possible )
Always take one ECM mech and ask for every drop if there is alredy ECM coverage in the field.
If you use an assault mech it gets difficult.
A Banshee brings dakka and can take a lot of punishment for the first wave, a DDC can be a decent core for a group and provides nice sensor and ECM support but will get focused a lot.
A Crab with dual gauss will be a decent killer to reap already damaged units and whittle away the enemys numbers.
Your second mech will be an Heavy most likely a brawler or sniper depending on your Assault mech.
Your 2nd and 3rd will be much lighter now.
Most likely a shadow hawk or a Griffin and some light ECM Mech.
Don't try to use light *damage dealer* to open a game unless you want to light rush the enemys base.
If you go against a premade your lights will be of no use if you are with pugs.

Edited by The Basilisk, 24 June 2015 - 05:13 AM.

#3 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:50 AM

I strongly advise against adding an Atlas DDC to your drop deck. They are often looked to as being piloted by commander types. Because you're still relatively new you want to be a follower, not a leader . . . yet.

Also, because you have Ravens, you will want only IS mechs in your drop deck, so plan accordingly.

Edited by mailin, 24 June 2015 - 05:52 AM.

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:39 AM

Probably look at heavy mechs not assaults next.

#5 Armagne

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for the advice

I'll start puzzling weight for the dropdeck :)

#6 Padde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 123 posts
  • LocationFree Space

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:02 AM

I would suggest to buy the thunderbolts next.

The TDR-5SS is still one of the best IS heavys in the game and with the other variants you play different styles... TDR-5S with LL/ERLL, TDR-9SE with JumpJets and LPLs...

And - you can play CW with 3 TDRs and a Raven and would have a pretty decent deck.

Edited by Padde, 25 June 2015 - 02:03 AM.

#7 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:21 AM

I'll second that suggestion.

The Thunderbolts are also relatively cheap. They don't need XL-engines and they perform perfectly well with the engines they come with. In addition both the 9S and 9SE come with the DHS upgrade included, saving you another 1,5M C-bills for each. In addition their quirks make them a good ERPPC or LPL mech respectively.

The 5S likes large lasers and the 5SS is al about the MPL's. Seeing as you intend to use these for CW I'd go for the 5S. Longer range engagements are more common than short range brawls in CW.

#8 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:16 AM

Another good possibility is Stalkers. They're the most accessible IS assault, just plain good and 2RVN/2STK is a pretty respectable deck.

#9 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:36 AM

I personally wouldn't recommend assaults, only if you really having fun piloting them. The thing is that they have to fight, once it's started it's either make it or break it, since they're to slow to withdraw.
Good options for CW are dakka dragon 1N and wolverine 6R. Wub thunderbolt 5SS, Firestarter A or S as harrasser. ECM Griffin 2N is also pretty good for CW.

#10 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

Thunderbolts are cheap to kit out and deadly in CW

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users