#1 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:22 PM

Hi all.

Didn't want to clog up any other area so I'll put it in new player help, since I'm essentially all new again after a 2 year absence.

Got a few short questions I couldnt get any info on.

1. Where can I find the Clan mech quirks? I cant find them on the most mainstream websites, only for IS mechs, so assume something else is going on here? The best i could find was something with 2.5% XP and in the mechlab i see something with 1/6 or 1/8 etc which i assume are the omnipod combos?

2. Are omnipods from different clan mechs all the same in regards to perks/quirks?
And what are these quirks? I cant find it!

3. Do the appearance changes with different omnipods? Cuz its essentially using a piece of the other variants. I actually havent seen if they differ visually.

Thx!

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:30 PM

View PostMarctraider, on 24 June 2015 - 08:22 PM, said:

1. Where can I find the Clan mech quirks? I cant find them on the most mainstream websites, only for IS mechs, so assume something else is going on here? The best i could find was something with 2.5% XP and in the mechlab i see something with 1/6 or 1/8 etc which i assume are the omnipod combos?

You can find all accurate numbers and stats on smurfy (mwo.smurfy-net.de)

2. Are omnipods from different clan mechs all the same in regards to perks/quirks?
And what are these quirks? I cant find it!

Each pod has it's own hardpoints, or lack there of, and it's own quirks.

3. Do the appearance changes with different omnipods? Cuz its essentially using a piece of the other variants. I actually havent seen if they differ visually.

Thx!

What do you mean by appearance here? The hardpoints, and their layout, and locations change. So a missile pod looks different from a laser pod, or a ballistic one, for example. However, the shape of the mech itself, doesn't really change much.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 24 June 2015 - 08:31 PM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:44 PM

with regards to question 3, the changes in appearance are more due to what weapons are fitted as opposed to what pods are fitted, for example on the Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) if you have no missiles the shoulder mounted missile pods essentially disappear, put in an SRM6 and they are quite small, put in an LRM20 and they are much larger, and if you mount 2 missile pods on a side torso it gets a second missile pod mounted on the side the main torso.
that is essentially the limit of visual changes.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:09 AM

Thx!

In regards to this: I know MWO calls them variants, makes you use three of them, etc. However unlike Battlemechs, there was no real such thing as different 'variants' in Omnimechs. The different common variations were called configurations. This is because (unlike MWO), the omnipods were different weapons with predesigned hookups that were compatible with the OmniMech. Ultimately this means that there is one Summoner, not SMN-A, SMN-B, SMN-D, etc. The next true Summoner variant is known as the Summoner II. A completely different mech.

The configurations, known from Alpha through Omega, are a listing of the most common configurations. The standard ones that the typical Clan mechwarrior may have access to until he or she has proven themselves to have the honor, integrity, wisdom and skill to wield their own unique loadout. (Admittedly the bar for small changes is fairly low. Large changes though is usually held to the side for ranks slightly below Star Captain).

This part is NOT important but good fun knowledge: The letters are read (in alphabetical order).
A - Alpha
B - Beta
C - Gamma
D - Delta
E - Epsilon
Z - Zeta
H - Eta
O (with line through it) - Heta
I - Iota
K - Kappa
A (without line) - Lamda
M - Mu
N - Nu
E (without vertical line) - Xi
O (as is) - Omicron
π - Pi
P - Rho
Σ - Sigma
T - Tau
Y - Upsilon
and I've never seen the others used, so yeah.

As such: the prime configuration is known as the Summoner Prime (primary). The Summoner C is known as the Summoner, Gamma Config (short for configuration). A Summoner with a non-standard configuration may be referred to as a Summoner, Custom Config or more aptly, a Summoner, Elite('s) Config. Depending on the author, "Honored" may replace the word 'elite'.

Back to semi-important knowledge:
While a BattleMech's configuration changes -- especially those we see in MWO -- would take months to years, the Omnimech changes we often see in MWO would take minutes to hours. This is the true reason for "fixed equipment," as the Clans don't make the large scale custom modifications that merc units and private owners might try; there is no reason for it and resources are too thin for it.

Another interesting note that while it is never enforced in the tabletop except by GM (Game Masters), in a lore perspective each OmniMech has a limited number of potential connections for omni-weapons (in general you may notice that OmniMech configurations on Sarna / Megamek / Battletech seem to have a certain number of max weapons for each chassis; this is meant to be the maximum possible connections they have. However the rules don't expressly enforce this, but the novels and short stories do).

It is for this reason that the OmniMechs do not change 'much' cosmetically (in terms of arm appearances and the like). I do wish that removing the lower arm actuators had a significant external visual change, however.

Their weapons will visually change.
If you're talking about cosmetic changes for things such as legs or certain body parts; those different looks are reserved for the Clan "Wave" packs (as well as any preorder packages) and their 'special' versions of the "Prime" configuration.

(Mkay, now I'm done. Sorry to keep adding to it.)

Edited by Koniving, 25 June 2015 - 05:27 AM.

#5 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:42 AM

Thx for the replies, got some reading to do :)

#6 T0rmented

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 317 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

http://snafets.de/mwo/clan_quirks.htm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users