#1 K1ttykat

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:22 PM

Jump Jet Issues:
Currently JJ are only really useful for either getting over sticks or clearing/peeking much sized ledges and cover. Because JJ only give you height, there is a limit to how useful they can be. Once you have enough height to get up me h sized ledges, more height is not useful.

No matter how little thrust 1 JJ gives, if it allows you to get over little rocks and slide up steep terrain, it will be far too much value for a 0.5/1/2t investment. The 1 JJ edge case is often stated as the reason JJ can't give more thrust overall.

Jump jets are largely useless for manoeuvring. Jumping slows you down and then landing slows you down more which makes it better to walk into battle than to jump. Its a missed opportunity.

Solution:
I'll start with the step people won't like because "restrictions bad!"

Step #1: Minimum Jump Jet investment. A much must equip the lesser of 3 or half its capacity; or none at all. A capacity of 4 must equip 2, capacity of 8 must equip 3, 5 requires a decision on rounding, probably up. If a player tries to equip less than the minimum and more than 0, they will get the red "invalid loadout" icon and tooltip.
This eliminates the 1 JJ edge case.

"But now I'm stuck with these JJ like a clanner" you say.

Step #2: Adjust the height scale. The basic 3 JJ package should allow a much to go up a level on canyon and no more, that means they're going to need some extra thrust.

"So why use more then 3JJ?" You ask, well here's where it gets interesting.

Step #3: Horizontal thrust. Jump jets after the initial 3, give you quickly diminishing returns on height, in exchange for a significant amount of forward thrust. With full jump jets, you should be quickly accelerated to some significant portion of your max speed but (for now) not allow one to go faster than max speed. Ideally from a stand still, you should reach your destination faster than if you had walked. Light mechs won't gain much but it will allow heavy and assault mechs to leap into battle. The landing speed penalty may need to be increased to prevent mechs from skipping along the ground at near full speed.

Note: posted from mobile, will edit.

Edited by K1ttykat, 26 June 2015 - 01:04 AM.

#2 Last Of The Brunnen-G

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:13 AM

I like your idea!

But I would say in general all JJs should give the same amount of thrust/JJ no matter how many are equipped.
You should be able to direct a little % thrust in any direction and this should not depend on how many JJs are equipped.
Why you want to set the (max speed air)=(max speed ground)? I think there should be no speed limit. The limit is the duration of your JJs burntime. And remember fall damage, you don't want to land with 150kph with an Highlander (except for suicidal run). Maybe PGI can implement an additional/more collision damage when mechs collide with each other.

#3 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:38 AM

Someone had an idea ages ago that I liked: JJs equipped in the legs could only produce vertical thrust, while torso mounted JJs could provide maneuverability (in addition to vertical thrust).

I think this could work well with the minimum JJ idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users