Ac & Lrm Too Loud! But Not Lasers

13 replies to this topic

#1 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:21 PM

Hi,

Is the Autocannon sound too loud for you guys? or is it just me?

Audio reproduction is: -
ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 Cmedia VT2020 optical TOSlink SPDIF output to
Logitech Z5500 surround system on Dolby Pro-Logic-II music mode 5.1, or whatever mode, AC is just so loud.
Windows volume output FULL on everything.

Recent new build-in TS voicecomm, I can't hear 50% of the players, but could hear the other 50% well enough. My voice playback already upped +12dB. Actually without the +12dB it's about the same in trend, I could hear the 50% fine, while the other 50% just disappears.

Thanks, have a nice weekend.

Edited by cx5, 22 June 2015 - 12:09 AM.

#2 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:11 PM

Its not only you. Its too laud indeed. I can`t even spectate players using AC2 and AC5, too annoying.

#3 BetaVirus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:13 PM

This post has already been done. about 6 patches ago and they are not listening

#4 MechWarrior849305

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:54 AM

I wish someone played ACs at Paul's place with the speakers all night long :ph34r:. I can't stand to hear my own ears' membranes are going to crack

#5 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:49 AM

I solved that by just turning down the FX sound in the settings menu. Now ACs sound sweet, and everything else is still good.

#6 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:23 AM

pull down audio fx bar. solved.

#7 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:05 AM

But everything else is going down then as well.

#8 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:16 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 19 June 2015 - 01:49 AM, said:

I solved that by just turning down the FX sound in the settings menu. Now ACs sound sweet, and everything else is still good.

Hi IraqiWalker, & guys

Can you share your audio pathway and equipment. I'm an Acoustics Engineer, I just want to understand more and I know there's too many things that are not ISO lockdown hence causing all these uneasy comparison, hence I'm not challenging you nor looking for a fight, simply wants to solve my case, especially when I'm in this sector of the profession.

Imagine me telling a friend the AC is too loud and I can't solve it, my friend will laugh at me "you're the engineer" :) hahahahaah

Although I know the worst link is the loudspeaker which actually reproduces the sound from electrical signal to mechanical and ultimately acoustics domain, but I don't want to simply point the finger at the loudspeaker and case closed.

or could it be that simple??? cause I've been suspecting the Logitech Z5500 is not very Hi-Fi at all....... :) there you go, everybody have a good laugh I'm sure.

Shame on me, I've got access to acoustics anechoic chamber 24/7 and I've not bothered to measure those loudspeakers, may be I should do it tomorrow, WTH, I'll do it tomorrow, no more laziness, I've been wanting to do it since 7 years ago. Report back later.

#9 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:20 AM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 18 June 2015 - 11:11 PM, said:

Its not only you. Its too laud indeed. I can`t even spectate players using AC2 and AC5, too annoying.

Thanks for confirming.

View PostBetaVirus, on 18 June 2015 - 11:13 PM, said:

This post has already been done. about 6 patches ago and they are not listening

I see....... it might be just right for the responsible person for setting the volume in code in game, cause the most unstandard audio path is the loudspeaker's frequency response PLUS 4pieSPACE radiation plus reflections of the surround surfaces.

View PostTitannium, on 19 June 2015 - 04:23 AM, said:

pull down audio fx bar. solved.

But my lasers volume disappears and I can't hear nearly 100% of players talking on comms.

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 20 June 2015 - 06:05 AM, said:

But everything else is going down then as well.

Me too.

#10 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

View Postcx5, on 22 June 2015 - 12:16 AM, said:

Hi IraqiWalker, & guys

Can you share your audio pathway and equipment. I'm an Acoustics Engineer, I just want to understand more and I know there's too many things that are not ISO lockdown hence causing all these uneasy comparison, hence I'm not challenging you nor looking for a fight, simply wants to solve my case, especially when I'm in this sector of the profession.

Dude, you don't need to be this nice. It's refreshing, but no one is going to fight you over sharing sound settings XD.

What information do you want from me, and how can I provide it to you?

Imagine me telling a friend the AC is too loud and I can't solve it, my friend will laugh at me "you're the engineer" :) hahahahaah

The curse of being an engineer: Everyone thinks you can fix everything.

Although I know the worst link is the loudspeaker which actually reproduces the sound from electrical signal to mechanical and ultimately acoustics domain, but I don't want to simply point the finger at the loudspeaker and case closed.

You might be on to something. 90% of the time, I play with headphones, and won't be using the loudspeaker. That could have an impact I assume?

or could it be that simple??? cause I've been suspecting the Logitech Z5500 is not very Hi-Fi at all....... :) there you go, everybody have a good laugh I'm sure.

Shame on me, I've got access to acoustics anechoic chamber 24/7 and I've not bothered to measure those loudspeakers, may be I should do it tomorrow, WTH, I'll do it tomorrow, no more laziness, I've been wanting to do it since 7 years ago. Report back later.

Awesome! I look forward to the results.

#11 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:18 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 22 June 2015 - 05:09 PM, said:

What information do you want from me, and how can I provide it to you?

Thanks.

From backend to frontend, please let us know your loudspeaker brand & model + placement, especially if sitting direct on table without stand or Hi-Fi protocol obeyed, i.e. raised xxx number of inches from the table surface to avoid comb_filtering the response, and is it backed against wall? or plenty of air volume free space behind, ... may be a picture would be easier instead of all these writing.

Then amplifiers brand & model (this beginning to be not so critical) they are not perfect but they are nearly never as shxt as the source.

Next is signal type??? optical/coaxial (even less critical I think), unless analog then op_amps used by mobo are area for understanding their limitations. i.e. I'm sure my mobo isn't using one of those nice Burr-Brown.

Finally source = mobo soundcard or add-on soundcard brand & model or external soundcard brand & model. This play a big role I suspect, not only are the various IC have vastly different S/N ratio performance, harmonics or intermodulations, and various characteristic are completely different from one type to another, may be some still have jitter not as clean as expected unlike more recent soundchips. This is a bad ass that could make our sound different, not because it's shxt, just their tiny differences are amplified.

i.e. good amplifier vs not so good amplifier, from frequency response point of view, worst case +/-1dB (but usually 0.1 or 0.2) then harmonics 0.01% vs 0.1% - i.e. no big deal.... just 10 times difference.

While source soundcard brand&model_A S/N 90dB vs. brand&model_B S/N 120dB, in numerical terms, they are 1000 times different.

And sound card analog's output sometimes as bad as -2dB at 20kHz...... certain amplifiers too unfortunately

But ultimate worst link is still loudspeaker drastic varying frequency response, then coupled with radiation pattern or falling HF response, then past cone-breakup they go hay-wire, no longer having a pattern but random, so on and so forth.

OK, thanks again, just curious of various setup you guys are using.

Thanks.

The loudspeaker in this setup enjoys nearly no boundary obstructions to sound radiation outwards and suffers least comb-filtering and is best example, i.e. space below, behind and sides.
Posted Image

Edited by cx5, 24 June 2015 - 10:21 PM.

#12 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:28 PM

In next picture, the pilot's right hand side loudspeaker will sound drastically muddy/muffle versus left simply because it has a very large boundary surface that creates endless reflections of nearly perfect intrusion in respect to the direct sound source path. Pulling the entire mechpit away from the wall by just one foot will improve a lot. Pulling out as much as a whole meter could nearly recover back to as good as left side, but needs a one inch thick soft foam pad to absorb at position exactly middle between ear to loudspeaker. Foam pad size estimate needs to be around 0.9 meter square, i.e. 30cm by 30cm. eggshell foam shape type in this case helps, most other times 99.999% eggshell foam type is useless.
Posted Image

#13 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:03 PM

I'm running this Dell Latitude E6410 potato, stock. Only modification I have on it is Nvidia Audio.

I play with it on my lap, not on a desk.

My headphones are the logitech H-390

http://www.logitech....10258?crid=1254

It's worth noting that my headphone offers better audio fidelity than the laptop's own speakers.

#14 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:17 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 25 June 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

My headphones are the logitech H-390http://www.logitech....10258?crid=1254

There you go!!! I think it may be superior over Z5500 in two essence, first assuming all headphones are direct dire, without room reflections, meaning it works as intended. Then 2nd is it's frequency response, which is open for discussions, since I don't know it's FR.

Good answer Iraqiwalker, in the sense an headphone is the utlimate differentionator versus desktop loudspeaker, no matter the source, DAC, opamps and what lot..... headphones versus desktop loudspeaker, nearly like a lightmech versus heavymech.

:) Lets reserve floor standers loudspeakers as assaults :)

anyway, may be I should DIY opamps and capacitors upgrade like this site advice. http://www.head-fi.o...-speaker-system

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users