Grid Iron Build Help

15 replies to this topic

#1 Capnflintlock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

So I ended up purchasing some MC due to the deal. The Oni-k orion is one of my favorite mechs in the game, and I saw one of the packages came with a champion variant for free. As a result, I got a relatively large sum.

The hunchback is one of my second favorite mechs, and I've been running my founders 4g for quite some time. However, I ended up picking up a grid iron due to the mc I recently got. Seeing that it replaced a useless ballistic slot on the 4g with a missile in the left torso... I thought this mech would be perfect for me.

I dropped the gauss rifle, srms, pulse lasers, and XL engine.

I then replaced them with an AC10, LRM10, medium lasers, and standard 200 engine respectfully.

It's working fairly well at the moment, and it works almost identically towards my Orion, which runs an AC10, lrm 15, x4 medium lasers, and an srm 4. I support allies from all ranges, while maintaining max armor, and a relatively high amount of speed.

Though I lose the quirks for the medium pulses, I still have the general extra range, and cooldown. I also get a healthy 25% general ballistic cooldown, which works extremely well with the ac10.

Liken this build so far, and thanks to the armor perks and standard engine, I'm surviving some rough encounters.

Anyone have any suggestions for the grid iron, or what I might change? Also, what builds do you guys run, or have have great success with?

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:21 PM

Ok, first off, why did you take the Gauss off???? If you master the Grid Iron, you can have a 67.5% cooldown with it(Cooldown Gauss module 5 on it)!!!!!

I run a Grid Iron on a IS account with this.

Make use of a mech and it's quirks, always!!!

But... that is for a medium range sniper... if you like the way you run that build, keep it that way.

#3 Capnflintlock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 24 February 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Ok, first off, why did you take the Gauss off???? If you master the Grid Iron, you can have a 67.5% cooldown with it(Cooldown Gauss module 5 on it)!!!!!

I run a Grid Iron on a IS account with this.

Make use of a mech and it's quirks, always!!!

But... that is for a medium range sniper... if you like the way you run that build, keep it that way.

True, the Gauss quirks are rediculous, but the grid iron also has very good generic quirks as well. I don't like gauss rifles to much as they explode, weigh a crap ton, and require time to charge, which negates some of that cool down bonus it gets. I'll probably seem like a heretic for stripping it off though.

#4 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

Scratch that build, this is the actual one: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d2e50acbcc374b4

#5 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:36 PM

View PostCapnflintlock, on 24 February 2015 - 02:30 PM, said:

and require time to charge, which negates some of that cool down bonus it gets.

If you Don't like a 2.1 second delay compared to a 6 second delay... that's odd, considering that you can put out around 300-600 damage in 2:00 of firing that thing non-stop along with the 3 Medium lasers...

#6 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

Here's one build you may like: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fcab8d1c9b7adb7

Dual Ultra AC/5's

2 Medium Lasers

1 Small Laser

4 Tons Of Ultra Ammo

2 DHS

STD Engine 200

The Build Eats up Heavies and below A LOT. Though watch that ammo counter. If you don't like the Mediums drop them form Small Lasers and put in another ton of ammo.

#7 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:53 PM

A brawler Build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c17d1d1def0312a

It's made to go into a fight directly after 2-3 mechs are down on either side. The Cooldown and Module Cooldown keeps the Shotgun shooting at a good rate, and a Cooldown for the SRM 6 and Med Pulse Lasers keep it going too. a total of about 2:00 in non-stop brawling you're just about out of ammo and can pat yourself on the back for killing them :D

#8 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:01 PM

One final build before I move onto another topic: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5a68026ff5ea4d9

Dual AC/5's

3 Medium Lasers

1 SRM 6

XL Engine 200

1 Ton SRM ammo

5 Tons AC/5 ammo

2 DHS

Cooldown Modules for all weapons, keep this mech at Medium range for AC/5s... and for brawling when needed bring in the SRM 6 and 3 Medium Lasers...

#9 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:40 PM

I don't pretend to be a brawler in my Grid Iron. I left mine with XL200, Gauss w/ 4 tons, LRM10 w/2 tons and a single Medium Pulse Laser in the head slot. I hang in the back and hope a pack of lights doesn't treat me too roughly.

#10 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:51 PM

gauss + 5 tons of ammo + 3 medium lasers,endo + XL275,dont brawl with it and you will be fine

#11 Honk the Wondergoose

Rookie

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWith my Gaggle

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:57 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8d27c263ffe7fc0

You can change out the med pulse for a ml and up the armour. The Grid Iron shouldn't really be used for anything but a gauss platform due to the insane quirks. Just make sure to protect that right side, because everyone will shoot you there first.

#12 Capnflintlock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostHonk the Wondergoose, on 25 February 2015 - 07:57 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8d27c263ffe7fc0

You can change out the med pulse for a ml and up the armour. The Grid Iron shouldn't really be used for anything but a gauss platform due to the insane quirks. Just make sure to protect that right side, because everyone will shoot you there first.

Put the gauss back on...... what have I done...... This .... this is utter destruction. 7 kills and 540 dmg my first game

#13 Wolf Headhunter

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:26 PM

Well of course you put the gauss back on! You're a smart man! Lol.

#14 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

View PostCapnflintlock, on 25 February 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

Put the gauss back on...... what have I done...... This .... this is utter destruction. 7 kills and 540 dmg my first game

Indeed.

If you wanted to run any other ballistic in there outside the Grid Iron, may I recommend the hunchback 4G.

#15 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:07 PM

View PostCapnflintlock, on 24 February 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

what builds do you guys run, or have have great success with?

I have found three builds that perform pretty well at fire-support duties. All three of these XL 250 engine.

LB10X 3xMPL ASRM4 -- close-support build, so stay with the group and wait for a target to be engaged, then drop your 36 alpha (w/ crit bonus) repeatedly... targets don't last long. You can torso-twist in between dumps and use the arms to shield your side torso pretty well.

2xAC5 2xML LRM5 -- stay back at 400m and provide suppressing fire on any target that sticks its head up. The 25% cooldown on the mech and the additional cooldown on the AC5 module lets you keep up a constant stream. not as much DPS as a 4x crab or anything, but it is enough to pin down the enemy, and it rattles their cabins so they have a hard time shooting back at you. The biggest negative to this build is you have to maintain face time with the target.

Gauss 3xML LRM5 -- Stand in the rear and provide sniper support, and try not to get shot because the Gauss explosion will kill you 90% of the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users