76 replies to this topic

#61 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

View PostMystere, on 27 June 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

I disagree, ever since turrets were placed, "Assault" just devolved into "Skirmish".

First, I would like to argue that it is impossible to devolve anything to the point of skirmish :lol:

In the sense that wins are usually gained by eliminating the other team, yes assault is like skirmish. However, the turrets in assault keep the game from becoming the mind-numbing, idiotic NASCAR rollercoaster known as skirmish (and the crowd is different), and I appreciate that. I'd rather have current Assault which has the shortest average rounds among the modes, and the best earnings in its current state. Besides that, going for cap isn't THAT uncommon. It's a matter of situation, and the earnings for ending the game super early by capping are **** anyways so it's at least partially player driven

#62 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

Is there an ETA when this will be? Because assault blows. It always seems to turn into a massive campfest.

#63 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

On the fence about Turrets, can see the strategic value of defending an asset but turrets need work as well.

So, he wants to remove them, go ahead. What I find interesting and not mentioned is that he wants to introduce tactics to replace them. While I like the idea of tactics, we all know how this community will react when they will need to employ tactics to win - they are not going to like it one bit.

#64 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:18 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 28 June 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

Is there an ETA when this will be? Because assault blows. It always seems to turn into a massive campfest.

Assault was just as bad before turrets existed, removing them isn't going to fix anything. This seems to be the central thing people in this thread are having trouble understanding.

This mode was not some super awesome amazing thing until turrets "ruined" it. It's always been a shallow, limited, bare bones game mode that played out as a Team Death Match 80% of the time. Always. It played that way in early Closed Beta when there were only four maps and a few mechs, it played that way at "launch" and it plays that way now. The only difference is, prior to turrets existing, sometimes it ended in 2-3 minutes thanks to base rush instead of just being Skirmish with a different name.

But for the sake of argument, silly as it is, let's just assume that removing turrets will turn the mode into a tactical proving ground like some 31st century game of Igo using giant walking tanks of death instead of tiles. Let's say solid teams are playing in a way that prevents two minute cap wins. It's still just Skirmish. The only thing that has changed is the location of the fight, because no additional objectives have been introduced nor mechanics have been added. It's still just the same half assed "Assault" mode we played 3-4 years ago. You will still have 80% of the games play out as a Team Death Match, because that's exactly how the mode played prior to turrets existing and nothing else has been added to change that.

#65 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

View PostPjwned, on 27 June 2015 - 12:51 AM, said:

According to the Town Hall notes posted on Reddit, Russ is thinking about removing turrets from the Assault game mode.

All I have to say is HELL YEAH because I still fondly remember Assault matches where teams had to actually give a crap about their base ever, and it was fun playing them in my Jenner when I was still pretty new to the game. When turrets came in because people could not stop crying about light mech wolf packs, I was very disappointed by the extremely heavy handed change because that was also when Skirmish mode was implemented, and if people didn't want an objective to defend then they could just queue up for Skirmish only and leave the other modes alone.

I do realize that turrets have been nerfed at least once or twice, but not only are they still too much of a threat to light mechs because facing the turrets + any defending enemies is simply too much, the turrets also spot any enemies for their whole team to see so that surprise maneuvers are often completely ruined, and as a result I can only recall about 3 games in the last several months where either team tried to cap the enemy base as a game winning tactic.

I'm sure people will ***** and moan about needing to actually defend their base because it's different from what they are now used to, but the only proper answer is to say "deal with it or don't play Assault." This will definitely change how the mode is played because needing to care about your base objective necessitates playing differently and it will make scouting much more important because if you don't see where the enemy is then they might be heading for your base, which I had fun doing before turrets ruined it.

I wish this happened sooner because the effect it has had on Assault has been severe and pronounced right from the start, and it's a major sore point for me personally because it completely ruined the game mode and just turned it into Skirmish lite.

I do realize removing turrets hasn't actually been confirmed yet, but that is partly why I made this thread because I wholeheartedly support removing turrets from Assault, and to the players who don't want this then my mantra will be "go play Skirmish."

Nah, it will just return to light cap rush once again...that or both teams will camp the spawn to prevent the light cap rush.

It was much less fun without turrets...tbh.

Who am I kidding, I will leave the damn box unchecked unless they do a complete overhaul of the game mode. I hated it before, I hate it less now.

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 28 June 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

It was before because cap rush, now it is because turrets...assault is always a camp fest.

EDIT: I have an idea...

They should keep the turrets...however the turrets now function like this:

1.) They always shoot the enemy team first.

2.) If an ally is in the base more than 60 seconds after game start, the turrets treat them like an enemy.

3.) LRMs are replaced with SRMs.

Edited by Gyrok, 28 June 2015 - 12:22 PM.

#66 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,670 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:38 PM

View PostGyrok, on 28 June 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

It was before because cap rush

Only if you were bad......

#67 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

I get the (unreasonable) fear of Assault turning into BASE RUSH again.
But there have been numerous changes since turrets were implemented, one of which was that teams rarely get more than 3 lights (at most) due to 3/3/3/3. I believe the Cap rate was also decreased. AND WE GOT SKIRMISH MODE! So if people just want to blindly kill each other, they can do that now.
Assault was the mode that required the most tactical gameplay, because you couldn't just Deathball up in "teh bestest place". You had to have a scout out to keep track of the enemy team (and with VOIP, that's easier now too), and your main force had to be ready to reposition to intercept, or you needed a runner lance.
So, in my mind, removal of turrets would not be nearly as devastating as the doomsayers make it out to be.

One thing I would suggest though, alongside the turret removal, would be a regenerating cap bar. If the lights rush in, and cap it down, but are then either chased away, or decide to leave it almost capped, then the Cap bar could regenerate at a set rate (say, 1% per second for example). I'd also make sure that a Cap could be contested by any friendly on the base (if they can't already. Cannot recall.)

#68 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 28 June 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

No...only if you went looking for the enemy team and 2 ravens had ECM and cap accel.

#69 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,670 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:56 PM

View PostGyrok, on 28 June 2015 - 02:38 PM, said:

No...only if you went looking for the enemy team and 2 ravens had ECM and cap accel.

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 28 June 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

#70 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:35 PM

View PostQuxudica, on 28 June 2015 - 02:53 AM, said:

Walking for two-three minutes and never firing a shot or even seeing the enemy team is dull. It doesn't matter if you are on the winning side or the losing side. It's not good gameplay, it's not compelling gameplay, it makes the match boring and is a waste of a game. What's more is it's entirely avoidable by improving the overall quality of the game mode, introducing more mechanics into it beyond "stand in this box" and designing maps specifically to encourage combat flow towards important locations. For instance just take a creative leap for a moment and imagine that the bases turrets stayed, but required power from a generator in another area of the map to function. Suddenly you've got a deterrent to early base rushes, a reason to split forces for both attackers and defenders and an added layer of depth to the mode in general.

There's a massive amount of potential in the concept behind base assault, it does not have to be this piss poor of a mode. If you want the introduction of tactical depth you should be arguing for a complete overhaul of what Assault is, not backpeddling to an even more bare bones version that could barely be called an Beta product.

The problem is that if objectives are too complex then people will just ignore it in favor of turning the mode into a reskinned Skirmish every match, as we've plainly seen from turrets existing now.

Simple objectives are not inherently bad.

Assault never encouraged team splitting because the game has never been built to encourage team splitting. Partial team defense does not work, you will never consistently (and likely never in general) see three to six fresh MWO pilots defeat 6-12 equally skilled fresh enemy pilots and it's self delusion to think you would. Because of the nature of the games damage and heat systems every additional mech is an exponential increase in offensive capacity.

There are legitimate arguments for removing turrets, but this claim that three minute base rushes are good things is not one of those arguments. The argument that actually has merit is how restricted movement is made for lighter mechs because of turret placement and ranges (especially on smaller maps) when combined with the overcrowded 12 man team size. Another argument with merit is how turrets are detrimental to comebacks and could be considered a contributing factor to snowballing.

If you truly want a game mode that encourages breaking up the death ball you should be advocating for a more complex fleshed out Assault mode that includes multi-stage or optional objectives in different locations on maps that are actually designed for it (instead of just being generic arenas with "bases" arbitrarily slapped down in them).

I think this community has become so accustomed to playing with these unfinished game modes we have lost the ability to see what more could actually be done with them.

I've seen plenty of times where 3-6 people held off a much larger group of enemies while the rest of the team was doing something else (usually a flank maneuver, or perhaps dealing with a base capture) because it's rare for the whole group to push if they see a firing line because they don't want to get focused down.

I also remember some epic games on Alpine in Assault where I would go cap in my Jenner (which gave a reason for short range mechs on that map, by the way, unlike now) and then tell the rest of my team to push when the enemy came back to defend, and I even remember 1 game in particular where the lights (including me) had to deal with almost the entire enemy team with no help from the rest of the team because they sat on the H8 hill with me screaming at them to push but we still managed to win after an epic fight; that was pretty funny, definitely the sort of match to remember, but now that never ever happens because turrets are dogshit.

Edited by Pjwned, 28 June 2015 - 08:16 PM.

#71 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:21 PM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 27 June 2015 - 01:09 AM, said:

If they didn't see though ECM, they would be pointless. The target spotting system lets them tell you that HAY YOUR BASE IS BEING FLANKED YOU MIGHT WANT TO RTB!!!

Actually No.

If they couldn't see through ECM AT RANGE, the would still work. Give them the same 200 meter range as mechs have to see through ECM. Even make it longer (assuming BAP & seismic) and say 300 m. Then place 2 or 3 that all overlap the base within their anti EC zone.

Presto, the lights have to actually take out those turrets prior to Capping. Trivial thing to do, especially with a reasonable amount of hit points / armor points on the covered turret, but it takes time that allows the defenders to head back to base. Of course if its a feint they could be screwed ....

#72 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:30 PM

IMHO, turrets are both over and under powered.

Over powered because they can see though ECM at range and never miss. That makes them deadly against lights.
Underpowered because they are so spread out that a group of 2 - 3 mechs can engage them one by one with little risk.

The solutions I see are limiting their anti ECM range (as above) ad grouping them closer for more overlap but ultimately less coverage.

#73 Xmith

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

It appears assault mode has been played wrong.

Why assault a base with lights since they are so fragile against base defenses? It now would make more since to attack a base with heavier mechs with range weapons.

Lets try this one simple thing first instead of nerfing a game mode.

Don't send lights to assault the base.

Edited by Xmith, 28 June 2015 - 07:31 PM.

#74 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:12 PM

View PostXmith, on 28 June 2015 - 07:31 PM, said:

It appears assault mode has been played wrong.

Why assault a base with lights since they are so fragile against base defenses? It now would make more since to attack a base with heavier mechs with range weapons.

Lets try this one simple thing first instead of nerfing a game mode.

Don't send lights to assault the base.

I don't think you have a very good imagination of what would very likely happen if the heavier mechs just stormed the base.

#75 Gideon Grey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:52 AM

I have always been kind of confused by the implementation of the turrets. Why relatively fragile mid damage and long range? Wouldn't it be interesting to see shorter range, lower damage but sturdier turrets? Maybe SRM2 or 4 and Small Laser turrets (the bases are "portable" after all). Would still caps by one or two lights, and could slow down assaults to give teams time to RTB without attacking out to crazy distances. Balance damage output to armor... Maybe require most of all turrets to be neutralized before capping is possible...

#76 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, those turrets are mostly ********. As soon as one side or the other covers more then half the map, the base turrets start raining down on you, basically making our already tiny maps even smaller.

#77 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:30 AM

Someone has a heinously short memory. Turrets were introduced to help avert base races.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users