29 replies to this topic

#1 HellJumper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:16 AM

So going through the townhall notes...

NOTHING ABOUT MAPS..

why? how come its possible.. have i missed something really big?

no maps for pug games being developed??

yes i know they are doing over hauls to existing maps... but that is basically the same maps we have now with additional structures...

why is it that they havent said anything of any type of map, their development, their plans etc..

(if its answered then i apologize, if not then whats the point at all)..

more mech packs announced..

tbh we need more maps for this games then mechs..

please for once shift your priorities/ resources to making maps and pushing them at a faster rate...

#2 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:22 AM

Redoing problematic maps is also a good option rather than we getting new ones which aren't guaranteed to be good.

#3 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:32 AM

View PostHellJumper, on 26 June 2015 - 12:16 AM, said:

why? how come its possible.. have i missed something really big?

Yes.

#4 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:26 AM

By fixing the bad maps they learn what went wrong in the design process and their next generation of maps (and there will be a next generation maps) will be much better.

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:17 AM

No, no new maps. Better existing maps sound awesome though, especially seeing as they have apparently seen heavy optimization since the map team first birthed them.

I'd rather have maps that have been refined to address their shortcomings and improve their good qualities than new maps that will be an unknown quantity. Bear in mind also that new maps would still see the sub-par ones in rotation.

#6 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:31 AM

truth is, we have 100-150 mechs. and 10 maps , is it 10 ? ...... (

#7 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:48 AM

What are you talking about OP? They continued to discuss the release of the new River City. It has some destructible terrain. Just a little bit ago they made drastic changes to CW maps that definitely have effected game play. I would much rather have the maps we currently use fixed before moving on to new maps. Especially the invisible wall issues that still exist.

#8 That Guy

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:56 AM

they have a small art team, and thus cant develop new maps at the same time they retrofit the old ones. kinda like how we have not seen a new public map since bog, but a bunch of new CW maps? or how there have not been any new CW maps for a couple months during the time they have been renovating?

#9 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:18 AM

View PostThat Guy, on 26 June 2015 - 04:56 AM, said:

they have a small art team, and thus cant develop new maps at the same time they retrofit the old ones. kinda like how we have not seen a new public map since bog, but a bunch of new CW maps? or how there have not been any new CW maps for a couple months during the time they have been renovating?

True, they have a small team, but I have a distinct feeling they could churn-out maps very quickly if they just focused on the topography, instead of doing completely new objects and textures for every map. They can recycle those from previous maps and thus create map packs that would be planet specific.

A great example of this that they have already done is VITRIC FORGE, a map that uses some buildings and objects from HPG manifold and Emerald Taiga, but they made all-new terrain texturing and a few more new buildings.

I think that if they drop any new textures and objects and just use what they already have (and they have loads), they could spit-out a map every two weeks (1 week to make and 1 week to play-test).

I'm sure a graphics dev is laughing as he reads this, but I've actually made some maps in various game editors, and whole campaigns for my D&D and Pathfinder games, so I like to think I know a little about this matter.

Edited by Vellron2005, 26 June 2015 - 05:20 AM.

#10 That Guy

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:21 AM

well that is exactly what they are doing. their initial plan was to make a whole bunch of tile sets and prefabricated parts for different maps so that in the future they could more quickly turn them out, but still have some good verity. that's mostly how the CW maps were generally made as fast as they were

#11 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:23 AM

New maps are a potential money maker. PGI needs to wake up. If you price a map pack at 10.00 and it has 4 new maps on it, people will ante up for the variety.

#12 That Guy

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:32 AM

View PostLugh, on 26 June 2015 - 05:23 AM, said:

New maps are a potential money maker. PGI needs to wake up. If you price a map pack at 10.00 and it has 4 new maps on it, people will ante up for the variety.

thats the exact opposite of a good F2P model, especially for an arena shooter. you dont fragment your player base like that.

hell that is a terrible model for any game. COD only gets away with it because half of every one on earth plays that damn game

#13 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:33 AM

Map packs should never be sold for $ or MC because of the same reasons you can't have a "before the nerf" Timberwolf.. everybody must have the same game to play an MMO like MWO...

And besides, what would be the point of buy-to-play maps if they are supposed to affect the Inner Sphere map?

If Buy-to-Play maps or DLC's were player-side only, that would make the game's base premise fail miserably..

On the other hand, if the game had many maps, that would increase variety and player experience, and increased player experience would increase word of mouth and gaming community ratings, and that in turn would bring new players... players with cash to spend.

Edited by Vellron2005, 26 June 2015 - 05:36 AM.

#14 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:42 AM

View PostThat Guy, on 26 June 2015 - 05:32 AM, said:

thats the exact opposite of a good F2P model, especially for an arena shooter. you dont fragment your player base like that.

hell that is a terrible model for any game. COD only gets away with it because half of every one on earth plays that damn game

Please. It only segments out the froobs that are unwilling to support the game from the Fans, that are willing to support the game.

Which is exactly how the f2p model is supposed to work. You like it enough you spend some dough to support it, you don't you go away for a couple years. Come back like it, you spend some money.

#15 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:15 AM

Maybe someday map creation will be this fast and easy.

#16 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:21 AM

Redoing old tiny maps seems good to me.

#17 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:27 AM

Lets see ...at $250,000 a map ..4 maps = $1,000,000 / $10 per map pack = 100,000 purchases to just break even..I am not sure that will happen

#18 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:49 AM

Why do we need new maps, how many have War thunder, how many have world or Tanks.

Isn't making an old map better, the same as getting a new map

#19 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:00 AM

Yem and I told them alrdy. MOVE CW maps to PUG play. There are already maps done, not being used.

DO IT !

#20 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:53 AM

View PostTitannium, on 26 June 2015 - 07:00 AM, said:

Yem and I told them alrdy. MOVE CW maps to PUG play. There are already maps done, not being used.

DO IT !

NO!!!! CW maps are horrible for skirmish mode. Too much focus on narrow lanes. Takes over 5 minutes just to move across the map.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users