24 replies to this topic

#1 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

I have not been a huge btech history fan. I read many of the books and played the games but never really paid much attention to the details. I would like to know where I could get some canon information on the actual unit names and types of the kurita military. Because players will not be part of existing universe units, I thought it might be a good idea to know how they are named and structured so that any lance/company group that I got into or formed at least sounded and looked like an actual Kuritan military unit. I have seen others posting specific group names. I was wondering if there was a definitive list of known military units of the kuritan military anywhere I could look at?

#2 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

As always http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page but more specifically for your needs http://www.sarna.net...stered_Soldiery

#3 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

I can give you a general summary. The best resource for a total list is the 20 year update. Information below is from that book.

The Draconis Combine employs numerous elite or specialized units in 3050. The most elite among these are the Sword of Light (the premiere DCMS line regiments), the Otomo (The elite palace guard of the Kurita family), the Gyenosha (two elite line regiments), and the Ryuken regiments (patterned after Wolf's Dragoons).

Otomo (1 Regiment)
Posted Image

Sword of Light (5 regiments)
Posted Image

Genyosha (2 regiments)
Posted Image

Ryuken (5 regiments)
(Insignia Omitted)

Supplementing these elite units are the so-called floating units. These forces are frequently redeployed to where the dragon needs them. They are typically not as elite as the above units, but are on the whole much more experienced than the regular units described below. Perhaps the most notable unit (though all are worthy of mention) is the Proserpina Hussars, which is noted for its ingenious tactics and teamwork. Others include the Legion of Vega (formerly noted as the dregs of the DCMS, they later proved themselves under the leadership of Theodore Kurita), the An Ting Legion (a fairly standard unit), the Arkab Legion (made up of Azami Muslims, the unit is largely autonomous), the Amphigean Light Assault Group (essentially a press gang), the Night Stalkers (made up of retirees and other volunteers), the Shin Legion (A Capellan unit which fled the Confederation in the wake of the 4th Succession War) and the Ghost regiments (established after the 4th Succession War, they were a state secret and equipped with advanced technology. One of the major reasons the war of 3039 was a wash).

Proserpina Hussars (3 regiments)
Posted Image
Legion of Vega (3 regiments)
(Insignia Omitted)

An Ting Legion (2 regiments)
Posted Image
Arkab Legion (3 regiments)
Posted Image

Amphigean Light Assault Group* (3 regiments)
(Insignia Omitted)

Night Stalkers (1 regiment)
(Insignia Omitted)

Shin Legion (2 regiments)
(Insignia Omitted)

Ghost Regiments (12 regiments)
(Insignia Omitted)

The most common DCMS units are regulars based in the various districts to which they operate in almost exclusively:

Alshain Regulars (11 regiments)
(No Known Unit Insignia)

Benjamin Regulars (9 regiments)
Posted Image

Dieron Regulars (14 regiments)
Posted Image

Galedon Regulars (12 regiments)
Posted Image

Pesht Regulars (7 regiments)
(Insignia Omitted)

In addition to these main combat units, the DCMS also operates several Sun Zhang academy cadre units. Though these exist more for training than actual combat, they can be used in a pinch and are equipped if inexperienced.

Sun Zhang Academy Cadre (4 regiments)
Posted Image

That should about cover it! Sorry if I kinda glossed over anything, but it should be a complete listing of all Kuritan house units in 3050.

*NOTE: This refers to the post-retcon Amphigean LAG, which should be not confused with the pre-retcon Amphigean LAG that I am running.

Edited by Hayden, 04 July 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#4 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostFiachdubh, on 04 July 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

As always http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page but more specifically for your needs http://www.sarna.net...stered_Soldiery

Thank you for the reference material. My searches did not turn these resources up.

View PostHayden, on 04 July 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

I can give you a general summary. The best resource for a total list is the 20 year update. Information below is from that book.

The Draconis Combine employs numerous elite or specialized units in 3050. The most elite among these are the Sword of Light (the premiere DCMS line regiments), the Otomo (The elite palace guard of the Kurita family), the Gyenosha (two elite line regiments), and the Ryuken regiments (patterned after Wolf's Dragoons).

Otomo (1 Regiment)
Posted Image

Sword of Light (5 regiments)
Posted Image

Genyosha (2 regiments)
Posted Image

Ryuken (5 regiments)
(Insignia Omitted)

Supplementing these elite units are the so-called floating units. These forces are frequently redeployed to where the dragon needs them. They are typically not as elite as the above units, but are on the whole much more experienced than the regular units described below. Perhaps the most notable unit (though all are worthy of mention) is the Proserpina Hussars, which is noted for its ingenious tactics and teamwork. Others include the Legion of Vega (formerly noted as the dregs of the DCMS, they later proved themselves under the leadership of Theodore Kurita), the An Ting Legion (a fairly standard unit), the Arkab Legion (made up of Azami Muslims, the unit is largely autonomous), the Amphigean Light Assault Group (essentially a press gang), the Night Stalkers (made up of retirees and other volunteers), the Shin Legion (A Capellan unit which fled the Confederation in the wake of the 4th Succession War) and the Ghost regiments (established after the 4th Succession War, they were a state secret and equipped with advanced technology. One of the major reasons the war of 3039 was a wash).

Proserpina Hussars (3 regiments)
Posted Image
Legion of Vega (3 regiments)
(Insignia Omitted)

An Ting Legion (2 regiments)
Posted Image
Arkab Legion (3 regiments)
Posted Image

Amphigean Light Assault Group* (3 regiments)
(Insignia Omitted)

Night Stalkers (1 regiment)
(Insignia Omitted)

Shin Legion (2 regiments)
(Insignia Omitted)

Ghost Regiments (12 regiments)
(Insignia Omitted)

The most common DCMS units are regulars based in the various districts to which they operate in almost exclusively:

Alshain Regulars (11 regiments)
(No Known Unit Insignia)

Benjamin Regulars (9 regiments)
Posted Image

Dieron Regulars (14 regiments)
Posted Image

Galedon Regulars (12 regiments)
Posted Image

Pesht Regulars (7 regiments)
(Insignia Omitted)

In addition to these main combat units, the DCMS also operates several Sun Zhang academy cadre units. Though these exist more for training than actual combat, they can be used in a pinch and are equipped if inexperienced.

Sun Zhang Academy Cadre (4 regiments)
Posted Image

That should about cover it! Sorry if I kinda glossed over anything, but it should be a complete listing of all Kuritan house units in 3050.

*NOTE: This refers to the post-retcon Amphigean LAG, which should be not confused with the pre-retcon Amphigean LAG that I am running.

Very helpful, thanks for the information!

#5 muskrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

Bow Hayden your amazing

#6 Otonashi Saya

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAdelaide Australia

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

Wow Sooo much Info...you my friend are a walking library.

#7 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

Aw, thanks guys!

#8 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

So the 1501st Dieron Regulars would be the first 1st battalion of the 15th regiment of the Dieron Regulars. I like the almost Davion symbol for the Dieron Regulars. Who knows what the fighting 15ths version might look like....

The 15th is a canon unit but it was disbanded in 3068. As of the games beginning timeline it is a regular reliable unit. Well crud.

Edited by Harusee, 08 July 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#9 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Ok I am digging into the Dieron Regulars a little more and I have found no mention of the 1st regiment. Does anyone have any information on that? What happened to them? Did they never exist? Are they mentioned anywhere?

Edited by Harusee, 08 July 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#10 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostHarusee, on 08 July 2012 - 12:34 AM, said:

So the 1501st Dieron Regulars would be the first 1st battalion of the 15th regiment of the Dieron Regulars. I like the almost Davion symbol for the Dieron Regulars. Who knows what the fighting 15ths version might look like....

The 15th is a canon unit but it was disbanded in 3068. As of the games beginning timeline it is a regular reliable unit. Well crud.

There is another symbol they used earlier which is a bit less davion-esque.
Posted Image
Their individual symbol, listed on camospecs is based on the parent insignia, but has a black border. I actually whipped up one of these as well:
Posted Image
ED: as an aside, according to Camospecs.com this is a non-issue. For some reason the 15th's 'mechs may not display the regimental insignia or House Kurita dragon: they may only use the parent insignia and all units are required to paint their 'mechs flat gray. The unit probably messed up badly in the past.

View PostHarusee, on 08 July 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Ok I am digging into the Dieron Regulars a little more and I have found no mention of the 1st regiment. Does anyone have any information on that? What happened to them? Did they never exist? Are they mentioned anywhere?

There isn't a 1st Benjamin or Galedon either. Not sure about the others off the top of my head. My books are at home and I'm visiting a friend. More tonight.

NOTE: I also have larger versions of all these insignia available on request.

Edited by Hayden, 08 July 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#11 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostHayden, on 08 July 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

There is another symbol they used earlier which is a bit less davion-esque.
Posted Image
Their individual symbol, listed on camospecs is based on the parent insignia, but has a black border. I actually whipped up one of these as well:
Posted Image
ED: as an aside, according to Camospecs.com this is a non-issue. For some reason the 15th's 'mechs may not display the regimental insignia or House Kurita dragon: they may only use the parent insignia and all units are required to paint their 'mechs flat gray. The unit probably messed up badly in the past.

There isn't a 1st Benjamin or Galedon either. Not sure about the others off the top of my head. My books are at home and I'm visiting a friend. More tonight.

NOTE: I also have larger versions of all these insignia available on request.

Thanks! I do like the one you whipped up and would love a bigger version. I am curious about the lack of a founding or 1st regiment. Any info would be appreciated.

#12 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

View PostHarusee, on 08 July 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

Thanks! I do like the one you whipped up and would love a bigger version. I am curious about the lack of a founding or 1st regiment. Any info would be appreciated.

Alright, here's the deal.I looked up the Regulars units in both the '87 House Kurita hand book as well as the 20 Year Update. In the handbook the Benjamin, Dieron and Galedon each began their regimental numbers at 2nd. Rasalhauge started with the 5th and Pesht with the 3rd.

In the 20 year update this continued, except in the case of the Alshain, which has regiments numbered 1-11. Of course, by 3050 there is no longer a Rasalhague military district as this has been spun off into the Free Rasalhague Republic, with the remainder of Combine-held worlds going to the new Alshain district. (ED: I suspect the Alshain Regulars have concurrent numbers because they were a freshly founded unit that had not experienced the massive attrition of the 4 Succession Wars).

I read over the '87 Kurita handbook's entries on the military forces, but could find no reason for the missing units. They were probably simply wiped out and it was just coincidence that in the case of every district force their 1st regiment was lost. The 20 Year Update had very little info on the units themselves, instead focusing on the broader picture of the military and political situation in the Combine.

Anyway, here are the Dieron insignia you asked for.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Hayden, 09 July 2012 - 02:23 AM.

#13 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

View PostHarusee, on 08 July 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

I am curious about the lack of a founding or 1st regiment. Any info would be appreciated.
As far as I recall, DCMS regiments do not strictly follow a persistent numerical sequence. A regiment that is officially destroyed/dissolved remains vanished, with no new formation "inheriting" its number. I will check the books to make sure and can give you a page number then.

View PostHarusee, on 04 July 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Because players will not be part of existing universe units, I thought it might be a good idea to know how they are named and structured so that any lance/company group that I got into or formed at least sounded and looked like an actual Kuritan military unit.
I think you got it backwards! Players will indeed be able to join canon House regiments - the developer intends to set up a system where pilots may earn reputation and standing with the DCMS, eventually requesting transfers into the regiments they want to join. Players in this position will also be able to earn rank and, supposedly, eventually be able to influence community warfare by pointing out new planetary targets for other mechwarriors to attack.

On the flipside, the developer has repeatedly stated that the names of canon units will remain "locked out" for the creation of player-controlled companies. Not that this would have stopped a number of players from planning to (ab)use the custom mercenary company feature for claiming canon names for their own units. It remains to be seen if this will actually be possible, meaning how the developer will react once the game goes live. (judging from the forums, I expect a large number of variations of the Wolf's Dragoons, such as "W0lf's Drag00ns", "VVolf's Dragoon5", etc...)

Hayden-san: Though we may disagree on the entire naming issue, I have to hand it to you, you have an impressive talent for creating these graphics!

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 09 July 2012 - 06:15 AM.

#14 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 09 July 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

As far as I recall, DCMS regiments do not strictly follow a persistent numerical sequence. A regiment that is officially destroyed/dissolved remains vanished, with no new formation "inheriting" its number. I will check the books to make sure and can give you a page number then.

I think you got it backwards! Players will indeed be able to join canon House regiments - the developer intends to set up a system where pilots may earn reputation and standing with the DCMS, eventually requesting transfers into the regiments they want to join. Players in this position will also be able to earn rank and, supposedly, eventually be able to influence community warfare by pointing out new planetary targets for other mechwarriors to attack.

On the flipside, the developer has repeatedly stated that the names of canon units will remain "locked out" for the creation of player-controlled companies. Not that this would have stopped a number of players from planning to (ab)use the custom mercenary company feature for claiming canon names for their own units. It remains to be seen if this will actually be possible, meaning how the developer will react once the game goes live. (judging from the forums, I expect a large number of variations of the Wolf's Dragoons, such as "W0lf's Drag00ns", "VVolf's Dragoon5", etc...)

Hayden-san: Though we may disagree on the entire naming issue, I have to hand it to you, you have an impressive talent for creating these graphics!

The issue with players in house units seems to be a problem for coherent units. How will a unit on one side of DC space work with one on another front? I will profess a desire to operate with at least 3 other people in a coherent and organized lance. With community warfare not being live right away, it seems that non canon units based upon canon units and operating as mercs in Kurita space seems to be the obvious solution to the players problem of being where they want to be and fighting with whom they want to fight.

And I hope that all the wannabe wolves will join together as one group and not L337 name themselves to death. :huh:

Edited by Harusee, 09 July 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#15 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostHarusee, on 09 July 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

The issue with players in house units seems to be a problem for coherent units. How will a unit on one side of DC space work with one on another front? I will profess a desire to operate with at least 3 other people in a coherent and organized lance. With community warfare not being live right away, it seems that non canon units based upon canon units and operating as mercs in Kurita space seems to be the obvious solution to the players problem of being where they want to be and fighting with whom they want to fight.

Well, you are still able to group up with your friends and join battles together - thats not just for mercs. :huh:

#16 Hunson Abadeer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 09 July 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

a large number of variations of the Wolf's Dragoons, such as "W0lf's Drag00ns", "VVolf's Dragoon5", etc...

Well, at least they aren't creating a bunch of lame units that would make no sense in a role-play sense. Oh, wait...

:D

#17 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

I will profess a desire to operate with at least 3 other people in a coherent and organized lance.
Me too, but as mentioned it is still quite possible to form a team with people you know. I have been discussing with OberSchutze the idea of simply letting "sub-units" (lances or even companies) exist "outside the game" on a separate platform like housekurita.org - after all, there is no good reason why players who have joined the same regiment should be disallowed from organizing themselves further, as long as they do not ursurp anything, right?

With community warfare not being live right away, it seems that non canon units based upon canon units and operating as mercs in Kurita space seems to be the obvious solution to the players problem of being where they want to be and fighting with whom they want to fight.
That would depend on how you define "whom they want to fight". Before being allowed to take up contracts with the Draconis Combine, a mercenary unit first has to prove itself worthy, so merc players are actually locked out until they have spent some time battling as neutrals.

Also, from how I understand the community warfare description, it seems as if the developers have ultimate control over which planets can be fought for and which ones remain "immune". It has been said that faction officers of high rank can influence the selection of these worlds, but I admit I have no idea if this goes for individual regiments or the entire DCMS. I would suspect the latter, though, else too many people would be locked out from playing with each other.

And I hope that all the wannabe wolves will join together as one group and not L337 name themselves to death. :)
But then player X couldn't be the leader and he is so convinced he is the right one for the job! And of course he was there first and has a history and everybody knows that! B)

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 09 July 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#18 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 09 July 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

Well, you are still able to group up with your friends and join battles together - thats not just for mercs. :)

Thats the question really. I have not found a post anywhere so far that explicitly states that players can organize lances or companies and actually play together. If I had my way, I would be in a company and that company would have 11 other players and myself and we would practice together and work together and design our mechs to complement each other so that we could go out and fight one of the factional border world fights and take control of a planet or two and make an impact on the map. I saw a post by one of the devs I cannot remember which one which said that player controlled worlds would provide some benefit to the owners. I just have not seen anything so far that said "you can form a group and fight together in a coherent unit and the match making system allows for that."

How would it work for say a Kurita faction pilot? As a soldier you get assigned to units. Are your lancemates going to be assigned to the same unit? Will you be able to always control your side of a fight so you have known quantities fighting by your side?

This is all I have been able to find on the subject so far.
[PAUL] Merc Corps have full control over their drop builds. They can put whoever they want into the command positions (team/lance).

Edited by Harusee, 10 July 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#19 muskrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Hayden, if you have time

3rd Dieron Regulars (symbol Raven flying against the Dieron Sun Star)

please

(bow)

Edited by muskrat, 12 July 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#20 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

View Postmuskrat, on 12 July 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

Hayden, if you have time

3rd Dieron Regulars (symbol Raven flying against the Dieron Sun Star)

please

(bow)

Sounds like a cool emblem. I really like the Kurita house dragon emblem. It is the best one in the game material.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users