#21 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:57 PM

View PostThaddeus Radetzky, on 02 July 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

Well, I still average 500+ damage with 2-3 kills in my 1B and 350+ damage in my 1D. More quirks would be lovely and the removal of the minimum number of heatsinks would honestly make the Commando more viable with SRMs, as the poor 2D at best has to commit 2 more tons to heatsinks it simply does not need.

Removing the minimum number of heatsinks would be great. 1-2 tons makes a huge difference for these tiny mechs.

And here is some Commando Propaganda. . .For the Cause!

Commandos

If you would like to know
How fast the fastest mech can go.
Then I think that you should know
That you should go commando.
They are not big, they are not strong.
But don't you get this mech wrong.
With a speed of one seventy-one
This mech is sure a lot of fun.
No, oh no, don't let them fool you
Or those srm's are sure to ruin you.
And with their weapons in their arms
Their enemies are never safe from harm.
Just don't stop, 'cause if you do
Dual guass rifles will ruin you.

-Dr. Zeus

Edited by 3xnihilo, 02 July 2015 - 04:20 PM.

#22 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:51 PM

The problem with Commandos is, at its core, the fact that SRMs in MWO are (extremely) underwhelming compared to their effectiveness in TT. The Commando was meant to be an ambush & anti-scout 'Mech in lore. It wasn't particularly fast for its size; instead, it could put out a high volume of damage despite only being 25 tons. The COM-2D had a 25-point alpha. And this in a game where armor only went half as far as it does in MWO, so really, a 50-point alpha in MWO terms. That's not chump change. If SRMs were actually guided missiles, and a single SRM-6 pack was both powerful and reliable enough to be considered a serious threat at close range, the Commando would do much better.

#23 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:06 PM

We don't need no stinking guidance ! You got streaks and LRMs for that stuff.
At minimum better SRM spread quirks for lights in general should be good.

#24 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:20 PM

View PostShinVector, on 02 July 2015 - 05:06 PM, said:

At minimum better SRM spread quirks for lights in general should be good.

Better spread would be great, especially with cool down quirks too. The range quirks are pretty much useless since the spread is so wide on srms that 270m is further than they are effective already. I tighter spread, quicker fire rate, and maybe even a velocity quirk, would all be great ways to make commandos better. Given the quirks of the locust 1E it doesn't seem like PGI is bashful about doling quirks out, we just need them on our little buddies ;)

#25 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 02 July 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

Better spread would be great, especially with cool down quirks too. The range quirks are pretty much useless since the spread is so wide on srms that 270m is further than they are effective already.

SRM spread from 10m (I think) to 270m is identical. It used to be that SRMs had a weaving pattern. This caused some specific distances to have extreme hit precision due to the missiles' weaving paths crossing into each other. Conversely, other specific distances had the missiles extremely spread out, due to each one being at the apex of its parabolic flight arc.

Now, however, missiles spread out into a formation within 10m (again, I think - the actual number could be different) and maintain that identical formation to the end of their 270m (or more, with quirks and modules) range. Not only that, but the game seems to choose randomly from four or five specific missile formations that never change. Take an SRM-4 or SRM-6 to the training grounds, keep your reticle stationary, and hold down the fire button. You'll start seeing the missiles' patterns repeating themselves, almost exactly.

It's quite boring, and it also makes the weapon system less skill-oriented. You can't control which cluster the missiles will take. So that's RNG. Nor do you have any way of using timing to your advantage, since SRM flight paths are no longer dynamic. So that's removing variable options.

This latter option used to be available, by the way. By waiting until your target was at just the right distance, you could get ALL your SRMs onto the same component. It was wicked. It required patience, but if you could pull it off, you were rewarded. Now, SRMs behave the same no matter what the distance is.

View PostShinVector, on 02 July 2015 - 05:06 PM, said:

Hey, look, I get what you're saying. And I agree. I just want SRMs to be more involved as a weapon system. More fun. And more effective, too.

You can have guided SRMs without turning them into just another version of LRMs or Streaks. I don't want them to have the simple "find target, lock on to target, fire missiles" mechanic that's been used in every FPS ever. Gotta get creative, man. Increase the interactivity, increase the fun.

You know what would make for a killer SRM mechanic? Something intrinsically basic so that you can refine your skill over time. Something easy to learn but challenging to truly master. So how about this?

SRMs operate under three separate, but concurrent mechanics. The first is reticle tracking - your SRMs, when fired without a lock, will constantly veer towards where your reticle is pointing, adjusting in-flight to follow it. LRMs only head to where your reticle was pointing when you fired them, with no further course correction - SRMs will actually track your reticle.

The second mechanic is a charge mechanic, similar to what Gauss has. The long you hold down the trigger before releasing, the more clustered your SRMs will be upon launching. If you don't charge at all, they splatter all over the place in random directions. If you charge, they launch in a tighter cluster. Whether charged or not, they will still head towards your reticle while in-flight.

And the third mechanic is your basic target locking, which works similarly to what we have now for LRMs. But add in a bit more. Make it a progressive lock, so that the longer you achieve lock, the more missiles will track the target. The ones that don't track behave under the first two mechanics, following the reticle and spreading based on charge. Three mechanics, none too complicated, but all interacting with each other in vastly different ways depending on how YOU choose to use them. That's what I'd like to see.

Because illustration is sometimes better than explanation, I'll give an example. Let's say you round a corner to see an enemy Hunchback. He is about ten meters in front of you. You will use your SRM-6 against him. You now have several options:
---

1) You take advantage of neither the locking nor accuracy mechanics of your SRMs. You don't need any of that fancy stuff, not at a ten-meter distance. You simply tap the fire button. Your SRM-6 pack has not charged, and it has not locked - so, it blasts all missiles out in a haphazard, cacophonous bloom of death. You have elected to use the Macross Missile Massacre approach.

Fortunately, because the target was so close to you, he eats four of those six missiles before they're able to veer off into the atmosphere. Two of them, however, do still go wide. They try to re-converge towards where your reticle is pointing, but since they have already passed the Hunchback, they do so far behind him. Yes, they spread that much when fired in "panic mode," missing even at ten meters. But, each missile that did hit, hits for two points of damage. Which in MWO should really be FOUR points of damage. The target backs off, having just eaten sixteen damage points from you. Your pants have also suffered sixteen points of damage due to fear-pooping.
---

2) You don't fire at all. You back off, give yourself a moment, and figure out what you want to do. The Hunchback will be following you back around that corner soon, thinking he has frightened you off, and that you are now easy prey. He is mistaken. You have an SRM-6, and a second or two. You start charging your SRM-6. After a second, he comes around the corner. You RELEASE! Your SRMs, having already been charged, now launch in a nice tight little spit-wad of doom, hitting him right in his chest. He is now cored, and your lasers carve your initials into his internals. The Hunchback dies soon afterwards, succumbing to you as the fight continues. Your pants suffer a little dampness due to the anticipation you subjected yourself to after backing off, but they are otherwise OK.
---

3) You want this Hunchie to FEEL THE PAIN. So you hold down your trigger. You don't release it - you hold it down. If you hold it down for a one-half of a second, your missiles will all head the same general direction - forwards. If you hold it down for a full second, they will actually start to cluster up a bit, similar to what they do now in MWO with Artemis. If you hold it down for a one-and-a-half seconds before releasing, all six of your SRMs will be instantly clustered upon release.

You choose to let all your missiles cluster up. In the meantime, though, the Hunchback has managed to move away, and is now running at an angle perpendicular to you. You launch your missiles. You keep your reticle on the Hunchback. The missiles don't know there's a Hunchback, they don't even know what a target is right now since they have no lock. They do, however, know what you are. Your sensors will guide them. So as you move your reticle to keep it over the Hunchback, your SRMs veer to follow wherever your pointing. Your SRM-6 was fully "charged," which gave it an immense accuracy bonus. The SRMs hit. The Hunchback is dead, having taking 12 (MWO equivalent: 24) points of damage up his rear CT. You sip on a victory Scotch, pants sparkling and unsoiled(aka shiny and chrome).
---

4) You are a fool, and for some reason decide you should let your SRMs track the target despite the fact he is only ten meters in front of you. You keep your reticle on target, while achieving lock. If you keep it on target for one second before firing, two of your SRMs will hit. The other four will have no lock, and thus behave the same way as in situations #1 and #2. That is to say, they will follow your reticle in-flight. If you simply tap the trigger they will launch in a wide-spread salvo. If you hold down the trigger first, they will launch in a tighter cluster. Whether wide or clustered, they will still make an attempt to follow your reticle.

If you continue to achieve lock for two full seconds, four of your SRMs will hit. Two will have no lock, so they may go wide, or they may hit. If you wait an unrealistically desperate three seconds of lock-on, all six of your SRMs will hit because they are now all locked. Or they would, if you weren't already dead! Had the Hunchback been further away, waiting for lock-on may have been a smart move. Since he wasn't, though, you are now pantsless, as he pushed a couple of AC/20 rounds right into your cockpit while you were waiting for that sweet sweet lock, making your pants (and everything else on and in you) nothing but a whispered memory soon swallowed into the howling winds of war.
---

Having all your fired SRMs launch out into, just, an outright panic blast just seems like it would be fun. And it seems like it would be just as much fun to have them slowly arc into whatever your reticle is pointing at. And it also seems fun if you could lower that initial SRM spread by implementing a charge mechanic, like Gauss has. I just want SRMs to be more fun, more involving for the pilot to use, more immersive, etc. Just better all-around.

The above mechanics also allow upgrades to be effective without being overpowered, because each upgrade could have a separate use. Artemis could increase missile velocity and clustering. Narc could improve lock-on time and turning. Streaks could operate with the same lock-on mechanic as regular SRMs, with the only difference being that they don't fire unlocked missiles, saving both ammo and heat. They could also have a slightly better lock-on time if needed for balance.

Another great thing about a system like this? Having three SRM-2s still gives a natural advantage over a single SRM-6, without having to mess around with quirks/DPS/heat values. The triple SRM-2 system will always achieve lock in a single second, whereas the SRM-6 would take three times as long to do the same thing. That's just beautiful to me. The design itself lends each option advantages! No quirks required!

I don't know, man, I know it's a pipe dream and all. I know the SRMs we have are gonna stay. But doesn't this whole concept sound a LOT more fun than our current SRM mechanic, which is simply a lighter version of the LBX autocannon? speaking of another weapon mechanic that should be compeltely rehauled... Doesn't it seem like this game should be capable of so much more than basic point-and-shoot?

EDIT: Of course, this is a Commando topic, not an SRM topic. However, I maintain that the primary reason Commandos aren't good is because SRMs aren't good. They never will be under the current mechanics. Either they'll be ineffective, as they are right now, or they'll only be effective due to having damage/cooldown/etc. values adjusted into OPness. Which only become effective by sacrificing balance and fun factor. I'd rather see SRMs as a whole become a more unique weapon system. Commandos would shine under the proposed mechanics.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 02 July 2015 - 11:16 PM.

#26 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostBloodweaver, on 02 July 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

I don't know, man, I know it's a pipe dream and all. I know the SRMs we have are gonna stay. But doesn't this whole concept sound a LOT more fun than our current SRM mechanic, which is simply a lighter version of the LBX autocannon? speaking of another weapon mechanic that should be compeltely rehauled... Doesn't it seem like this game should be so much more capable of basic point-and-shoot?

I just sort of against auto guided weapons of any sort.
Just dumbs down that game too much and the worst victim will be the Lights.

#27 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:03 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 02 July 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

Commandos

-Dr. Zeus

That's... beautiful :wub:

Commandos are still fun. That's why I and most other Commando fans still ride them. I don't expect to take out half of the enemy team single handed with a Commando, or even survive the match :D

Those SRM Commandos aren't very effective against other lights because of the nature of SRMs but they're excellent in the job of ruin a big mechs day. And that's the advice I want to leave here. If you're riding a SRM Commando avoid small targets ...go big or go home!

I would never say the Commando is crap and useless compared to other lights. Otherwise it wouldn't be my favourite mech. But it would be just fair if it gets the same level of quirks like all the other lights got.

Edit:
I see so many Commandos with a single LRM 5 and no other weapons lately. Please don't do it!
There's no situation, no universe where this might work!

Edited by Norman Kosh, 02 July 2015 - 11:09 PM.

#28 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

Happened to hit a pug drop with not 1, or even 2, but 3 Com-2Ds! Lots of fun was had... by us at least...
Posted Image

Personally I placed right under the HBR and Nova on my team in damage and third highest in score... I can live with that... xD

#29 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:43 AM

It's the most non configurable mech cause of the minimum heat sinks and load out for the 2D. It was my favorite at one time and now I hardly ever use it cause it is overpowered by too many other lights. I sometimes run a single ER PPC for kicks and grins but it overheats so quick. Otherwise you pretty much have to load out with streaks and ml. Hope they do something for this mech :(

Edited by WANTED, 03 July 2015 - 10:43 AM.

#30 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

I like Bloodweaver's idea of 4 point per missile srms...for commandos, might be a little scary on a Maddog or Stormcrow though ;) missiles that tracked with the reticule would be kinda cool. Especially if you still had the "Holy Crap! Where did he come from?!?" Option of instantaneous fire and they grouped tighter the further they travelled. The trade off for tighter grouping at distance is the increased FaceTime to get the missiles there. (Of course my iPhone thinks face time is FaceTime :) )

#31 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostWANTED, on 03 July 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

It's the most non configurable mech cause of the minimum heat sinks and load out for the 2D. It was my favorite at one time and now I hardly ever use it cause it is overpowered by too many other lights. I sometimes run a single ER PPC for kicks and grins but it overheats so quick. Otherwise you pretty much have to load out with streaks and ml. Hope they do something for this mech :(

Just think outside the box. Building the COM to the typical MWO meta strengths won't work, since it's not a good 'Mech for that meta. My favorite COM builds involve SRMs in the CT, STD engines, and a LL in one arm. Commandos can be pretty tanky with STD engines.

Not saying the COM doesn't need help, of course. As you noted, the Commando is the worst light as far as build options go due to its strong missile focus on low-weight chassis.

View Post3xnihilo, on 03 July 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

I like Bloodweaver's idea of 4 point per missile srms...for commandos, might be a little scary on a Maddog or Stormcrow though ;) missiles that tracked with the reticule would be kinda cool. Especially if you still had the "Holy Crap! Where did he come from?!?" Option of instantaneous fire and they grouped tighter the further they travelled. The trade off for tighter grouping at distance is the increased FaceTime to get the missiles there. (Of course my iPhone thinks face time is FaceTime :) )

To be clear, the 4 points of damage per SRM wasn't something I was recommending be implemented. I was just pointing out how ineffective SRMs are in MWO vs. how effective they are in TT, due to the double armor in MWO. This affects all weapons, of course, but SRMs are more affected than lasers or ACs due to they fact they always spread. To get a true idea of how useful SRMs in TT could be, you'd have to give them 4 points of damage per missile and implement some sort of homing system, although it wouldn't be a very good homing system.

The damage increase would be completely unnecessary IMO, so long as you gave SRMs the other options I mentioned. Track towards the reticle, can release "charged" for a tighter initial cluster, and can be locked on over time. That would make them both fun and easier to balance due to the various different mechanics at play.

#32 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

View PostBloodweaver, on 03 July 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

Just think outside the box. Building the COM to the typical MWO meta strengths won't work, since it's not a good 'Mech for that meta. My favorite COM builds involve SRMs in the CT, STD engines, and a LL in one arm. Commandos can be pretty tanky with STD engines.

Not saying the COM doesn't need help, of course. As you noted, the Commando is the worst light as far as build options go due to its strong missile focus on low-weight chassis.

To be clear, the 4 points of damage per SRM wasn't something I was recommending be implemented. I was just pointing out how ineffective SRMs are in MWO vs. how effective they are in TT, due to the double armor in MWO. This affects all weapons, of course, but SRMs are more affected than lasers or ACs due to they fact they always spread. To get a true idea of how useful SRMs in TT could be, you'd have to give them 4 points of damage per missile and implement some sort of homing system, although it wouldn't be a very good homing system.

The damage increase would be completely unnecessary IMO, so long as you gave SRMs the other options I mentioned. Track towards the reticle, can release "charged" for a tighter initial cluster, and can be locked on over time. That would make them both fun and easier to balance due to the various different mechanics at play.

I was pretty sure you weren't actually hoping to implement a that ;) but you are right they are definitely not as effective because of their spread. I do pretty well in my 2d with 2srm4 but the 16 points of damage spread everywhere certainly isn't knocking things down left and right, and it runs out of ammo about 3/4 of the way through a match if I am in any kind of heavy engagement. I had a round one time with 4 kills, over 400 damage and was the last guy alive on my team against an ice ferret, jagermech, and timberwolf. And the only weapon I had was 1 medium laser. I didn't carry the match for my team :(

#33 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:14 PM

Hey bloodweaver, you mind posting smurfy link for that commando load out on 2d cause it's gotta be a slow light to carry all that with a standard engine and srms?

#34 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:33 PM

View PostBloodweaver, on 02 July 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

<gonna have to snip a long treatise>

Having all your fired SRMs launch out into, just, an outright panic blast just seems like it would be fun. And it seems like it would be just as much fun to have them slowly arc into whatever your reticle is pointing at. And it also seems fun if you could lower that initial SRM spread by implementing a charge mechanic, like Gauss has. I just want SRMs to be more fun, more involving for the pilot to use, more immersive, etc. Just better all-around.

The above mechanics also allow upgrades to be effective without being overpowered, because each upgrade could have a separate use. Artemis could increase missile velocity and clustering. Narc could improve lock-on time and turning. Streaks could operate with the same lock-on mechanic as regular SRMs, with the only difference being that they don't fire unlocked missiles, saving both ammo and heat. They could also have a slightly better lock-on time if needed for balance.

Another great thing about a system like this? Having three SRM-2s still gives a natural advantage over a single SRM-6, without having to mess around with quirks/DPS/heat values. The triple SRM-2 system will always achieve lock in a single second, whereas the SRM-6 would take three times as long to do the same thing. That's just beautiful to me. The design itself lends each option advantages! No quirks required!
I don't know, man, I know it's a pipe dream and all. I know the SRMs we have are gonna stay. But doesn't this whole concept sound a LOT more fun than our current SRM mechanic, which is simply a lighter version of the LBX autocannon? speaking of another weapon mechanic that should be compeltely rehauled... Doesn't it seem like this game should be capable of so much more than basic point-and-shoot?

EDIT: Of course, this is a Commando topic, not an SRM topic. However, I maintain that the primary reason Commandos aren't good is because SRMs aren't good. They never will be under the current mechanics. Either they'll be ineffective, as they are right now, or they'll only be effective due to having damage/cooldown/etc. values adjusted into OPness. Which only become effective by sacrificing balance and fun factor. I'd rather see SRMs as a whole become a more unique weapon system. Commandos would shine under the proposed mechanics.

Oh, I like this. I was going to bring up the "fire and forget" nature of SRMs that make the Commando usefull (blast an alpha strike of missiles and turn & run before they even hit), but if your system has a differentiation between clustering and tracking in the "button press time" then I am ALL in! I could even see this system being integrated into an updated pilot skill tree or chassis specific quirks. Never forget that EVERYTHING is adjustable in this game. All it takes is the right idea presented well, and a whole lot of forum passion. ;)

Edited by BarHaid, 03 July 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#35 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

View PostWANTED, on 03 July 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

Hey bloodweaver, you mind posting smurfy link for that commando load out on 2d cause it's gotta be a slow light to carry all that with a standard engine and srms?

Not a -2D. I always preferred the -1B and -1D variants. The -1D in particular can make some decent zombie builds. It was a long time ago that I last used it - in fact, I just repurchased the -1D with some of the C-Bills I ground out during the last Hero event. Here's one such STD engine build I whipped up in a couple of minutes. Your entire left side is for shielding purposes only. Here's another, faster but more range-limited.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 03 July 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#36 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:13 PM

View PostBarHaid, on 03 July 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

Oh, I like this. I was going to bring up the "fire and forget" nature of SRMs that make the Commando usefull (blast an alpha strike of missiles and turn & run before they even hit), but if your system has a differentiation between clustering and tracking in the "button press time" then I am ALL in! I could even see this system being integrated into an updated pilot skill tree or chassis specific quirks. Never forget that EVERYTHING is adjustable in this game. All it takes is the right idea presented well, and a whole lot of forum passion. ;)

Thanks! I think MWO would become much more impressive if only more mechanics were introduced to combat. MASC is one such new mechanic. A minor game-changer that can give a strong advantage but at a high cost, and using it in any one particular situation can be good or bad all depending on whether you're using it to speed up, slow down, or turn faster.

A simple idea gives more options than a complicated one, because you can build more out of it. At some point, complexity creates limitations. This has always been one of PGI's weakest areas - implementing unnecessarily complicated mechanics to address a simple issue, and then having to add artificial limits to those mechanics in order for them to function decently. Ghost heat, triple gravity, Gauss desync, etc.

#37 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:41 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 02 July 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

Removing the minimum number of heatsinks would be great. 1-2 tons makes a huge difference for these tiny mechs.

And here is some Commando Propaganda. . .For the Cause!

Commandos

-Dr. Zeus

Would you like to know more?

#38 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:07 AM

I've been using a commando in CW because I was tired of playing by the meta. While I also considered an ERPPC 2D and 4ML TDK I finally decided to use LL+2ML 1B, reason being that its large laser gives it more flexibility in regards to what kind of engagements it can participate in while staying true to commando spirit, skirmishing. These are my conclusions:

1: Commando is best in counter attack mode, turrets will screw any light mech attempting to infiltrate enemy lines with their deadly precision and outside of bases most often there isn't enough obstacles and cover to allow a commando to strike and fade.
2: In counter attack mode commando can actually work in its more frequent role, skirmisher. The largest the fighting area the better. Maps like SULPHUROUS are bad because the battle zones tend to be narrow while larger bases like VITRIC, PORTICO and TAIGA are good, Boreal is a surprisingly decent battlefield, while cover isn't hard and thus you can die to an UAV very easily its rugged nature and large size makes it actually workable with.
3: Taking a Commando doesn't open up any interesting new drops, the 10 tons you save from downgrading the typical RVN or FS7 don't take you anywhere. I've been droping in CMD, BJ, STK, STK, not an improvement over my RVN, GRF2N, TDR, STK drop.

Edited by Brizna, 05 July 2015 - 04:09 AM.

#39 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:13 PM

Well, we get a weapons' visualization pass tomorrow...but no quirk revamps...they did lessen the twolf and scrow nerfs though for all you testtube babies ;)

Edited by 3xnihilo, 06 July 2015 - 06:14 PM.

#40 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:54 PM

Funny. I got into the commando recently and it's getting 400-600 damage average per match (excluding disasters of a match or matches I DC'ed and came back to finding out I already died).

I quite like the 1D and the 2D. The build I got between them are rather simular, one has duel medium pulse and duel SRM 2's, the other has a single medium laser, duel SRM 2's, and a SRM 4 with ECM.

my ECM'er guy manage to beat a couldron born on a 1 vs 1 when we're both the last mechs and I already was out of ammo, still manage to win with my single medium laser. (both of us were cored pretty bad but he still had a ER large laser and a ER medium laser and an LRM 10 functional )

Not saying it's the best mech ever, but I'm doing very good with just 1/3rd of the way through basics...

I would love this thing to get a bunch of sensor specific quirks for scouting...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users