304 replies to this topic

#281 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

View PostA_Velociraptor, on 09 February 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

I have been running the 1D with 2 ML and 2 SRM 4's and it is very enjoyable probably one of my favorite mechs to play. Not to mention the fact that with Skills 2.0 it will be way better than it currently is now.

I like that build for it.

I'm withholding judgment on Skills 2.0.

#282 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

I still see a few SRM bomber Commandos every now and again. Yesterday, I even got inspired to run my Death Smell. Damn, that thing is pretty fast. Faster than a Locust.

#283 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:19 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 09 February 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

Yep, they shrunk the cooldown time on IS Streak 2s. Still not a megaweapon, but performs much more nicely less terribly.

Fixed.

#284 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:56 PM

The last few times I've played I finally got around to dropping with my trollish 3A... 2xFlamer 2xSRM4.

One match wound up with a hopeless but completely hilarious fight against three terribad heavy drivers who just didn't know what to do about me. I was already out of ammo by the time the match went sideways, but I managed to blowtorch one guy's leg and force another to overheat suicide before the last guy, who was mostly fresh, took my arms off and stole my zippos. I spent the next minute or so playing bumpercars with him while he tried to leg me... I'm convinced it would have gone all the way to time-out if I hadn't run into a wall because I was laughing too hard to drive anymore. All in all my second favorite Commando match, after that one time I got disarmed in my TDK and challenged a Stalker to a dance-off (ended with a faceful of splat, but it was worth it for the reactions).

Conclusion: Flamers are way too much fun in spite of their badness and I need to trollmando with them some more. I'm ashamed to say I haven't driven my COMs very much at all ever since PGI replaced their arms with shipping crates. I'd forgotten how much fun they are.

#285 Lorginir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:51 AM

Well flamers are interesting take on, but I personally can not give up a pair of medium lasers. They are just too useful and versatile and ammo always in short supply.

Edited by Lorginir, 11 February 2017 - 05:10 PM.

#286 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:38 AM

I dunno... I actually felt like I was making more of a contribution with the flamers, to be honest. Toasting bigs, as it turns out, is much faster than killing them (plus it doesn't matter if you attack from the front or rear), which means you can take more enemies out of the equation faster and potentially decide the course of the match. Most configs ride the high side of the heat curve, so it only takes a little nudge to make them take a nap when they were expecting to get one more safe alpha. I wound up using the SRMs a lot less than the zippos.

Mind you, I'm not going to go replacing the lasers on my TDK with flamers... but I tossed that 3A together from spare parts as a troll build and it kept pulling down 300+ games where I managed to shut down several bigs right in the middle of pushes. It worked far, far better than it had any right to.

#287 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

Took the old school 2D with 3 streaks for a walk tonight. It's still a nice a little toy if a bit boring.

#288 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

All I know is that my COM-2D is going to be packin' rocket launchers, ECM/stealth armor and a snub nose ppc.

#289 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 16 March 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

All I know is that my COM-2D is going to be packin' rocket launchers, ECM/stealth armor and a snub nose ppc.

Sounds yolo fo sho.

I was thinking that at the very least, the new ammo buffs on the skill tree will be a godsend for mechs like the 2D. At least the way I run it, it's all srm-bomber, all the time.

I'd love it if they boosted the engine cap a little. :(

#290 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

Oh yeah, snub-nose sounds good, though not in combination with SRMs - not enough weight for it.
On the side note - i seriously wonder if 2D is going to get an extra module slot - hero locust has three, so why shouldn't the 2D?

#291 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

View PostSandra McCrow, on 24 March 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

Oh yeah, snub-nose sounds good, though not in combination with SRMs - not enough weight for it.
On the side note - i seriously wonder if 2D is going to get an extra module slot - hero locust has three, so why shouldn't the 2D?

Module slots? Nah, the entire COM series needs an additional weapon hardpoint; 4 isn't sufficient. Not sure about balance, but I figure TDK needs a CT energy. 2D could up the missile to 4, 1B could get a second energy in the LA, and 1D could add an energy on the LA.
Now what to do with the COM-1C....

Edited by stealthraccoon, 24 March 2017 - 07:51 PM.

#292 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:08 AM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 24 March 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

Module slots? Nah, the entire COM series needs an additional weapon hardpoint; 4 isn't sufficient. Not sure about balance, but I figure TDK needs a CT energy. 2D could up the missile to 4, 1B could get a second energy in the LA, and 1D could add an energy on the LA.
Now what to do with the COM-1C....

Extra energy slots can be of help for non-ecm variants where it limits your active combat time. Extra missile slots? - only if new tech really offers viable light-weight missile/rocket/etc options, otherwise there is no weight to play with. Now if we were offered to use higher alpha and lower rof clan srms - then I would agree.

#293 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:25 PM

My first match with a Commando under the new skill tree, took the 2D out mostly to experiment with an ECM light....

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=927321407

430 damage with 3 kills and a KMDD? A good performance. I think several things are going on here:
1) Players have not "optimized" their Skill Tree builds yet, maybe neglecling the Mobility skills which makes small fast targets difficult to hit.
2) Matches were evening Pacific Time; LuRM boats are more common at that time making ECM more useful.
3) I have picked just 3 mechs of each weight class to test run under the new system. Favorites/old meta mechs may be being held on the sideline waiting for a new optimized meta will evolve.

Will my Commando continue to perform well? Are the models viable despite loosing valuable weapon cooldown quirks? We will see....

Edited by SilentScreamer, 17 May 2017 - 04:07 AM.

#294 Autologus

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

People underestimate the power of the Commando and its tankiness. It can seriously put out some damage and be a very difficult target to hit. The key to driving a Commando is to drive in a very helter skelter manner never stopping and always be unpredictable in your movements and lots of twisting and turning. The 2D version with 3 streak2 and tag with 3 tons of ammo is a good example of this play style. The tag makes it lock on very quickly and you can just run around a mech and take it apart slowly. Some may call this cheese but it is very satisfying to cause some much frustration and confusion.

#295 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 479 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

I took a year or year and a half break from MWO and recently came back, with the advent of the new skill trees. While I've seen some issues, I've also seen some good surprises and one of them was lights. While they are not hugely improved, the skill tree really does put a shine on some mechs now, given the ability to max out and improve already good mobility and numbers if you choose the right nodes. As an light pilot initially when I started in summer 2012, commandos are very old hat to me, but I hopped back in them of late and have seen how they can and do shine again, if you are the right kind of pilot.

Both the Locust and the Commando are teeny, fast and manuverable. With the addition of the hefty bonus armor or structure on the commando and the extreme manuverability that is imparted by going heavier into the mobility tree, it makes it very hard to get solid long burns on the commando and leg it. Continually dodging and weaving, turning and snaking across a battle field means that laser shots and missile volleys spread all over the little bugger. Further, the additional HP prevent the fatal legging from happening much more often, allowing the mech to stay in the conflict, even stripped of weapons. Only PPFLD really rains on the commando's parade if it's being played and skilled correctly, even then it's often RANDOM hits that end up getting it, like AC20 to the knee, which finally legs it, then a huge volley like a bug swat on the crippled little commando terror.

In contrast to the locust, the commando has fewer hard points in most models, making serious overheats less likely due to less ordinance or boating. Skilled right it's heat levels make it much less likely to overheat and be paralyzed by a shutdown and restart, whereas some of the multiple energy weapon packing locusts will drive themselves far into overheat shutdown, which is when they get bug swatted severely.

Another thing mentioned in the post above was the ssrm2 change. It's quicker rate of fire due lower cooldown allows a mech like the commando mounting 3, with a tag or a beagle to sand blast another light mech to death. Even if it does not manage a kill due to no aim ability whatsoever, it may well harass an arctic cheetah adder or locust into leaving the vicinity. Posing really no threat to larger mechs, such a 3xssrm2 commando is not the once feared no skill terror of early open beta, but its still got a place in light harassment and can occasionally secure kills if it has been skilled for the missiles to do crits. It also can loiter/linger longer due to missile rack skills allowing it to carry the equivalent of an extra ton of ammo.

Other commando variants range the gamut from death knells 4 energy hard points, to 3 energy, 1 missile, variants on 2 energy and 2 missiles as well, both grouping and seperating missile hard points and making them more amiable in arms or less so in the body. These other commandos with the new skill nodes can carry more appreciable ammo to fuel 2xsrm4 or 2xsrm6 builds, with medium lasers. Running lean on armor and relying on speed still can be good, or they can armor up and rely on those survival nodes as well, getting valuable protection from the terror of light mechs, legging.

Heck, with the TECH update to the 3060's, there are even other variants of all mechs, including the commando. There is a commando from the late 3050's or early 3060's I think designated the 4d. It runs 2 energy and 6 missile hardpoints! It doesn't even NEED hardpoints inflation that PGI brought in to make other chassis viable. One hopes these old chassis types get the release of new variants to eat through our chills and MC soon.

#296 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

Dude, wth are you talking about? The 2d streak boat is awesome

Your mistaken the rolls of the commando

#297 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 479 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:35 AM

View PostBurning2nd, on 01 July 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

Dude, wth are you talking about? The 2d streak boat is awesome

Your mistaken the rolls of the commando

Dude wth are YOU talking about? I DIDNT PUT DOWN or bad mouth the 2d commando or the ROLES it and other commandos can play.. Not ever sure how you misread it that way. But what I did comment on - was the ssrm changes being beneficial, agreeing with the earlier post in thread about that change. Regardless how things are NOW, 3 X SSRM2 was useless on the 2d commando after some glorious early days. Thats just the nerf buff cycle and before clans hit, there was a period when 3 x SSRM2 was considered OP and skill less, so of course streaks got nerfed, vastly reducing the 2d streakboat viability. In part it was making streaks target only random locations not including head, but also it was removal of missiles splash damage mechanic which had multiplied the effective damage of even ssrm2, because multiple hitboxes could be in their blast radius, making a single 2 point ssrm missile hit do 2 points to target diectly hit, then additional 1 point to adjacent hitbox areas. When splash went away they also started raising ssrm cooldowns on ssrm2 and all clan ssrm in response to qq about how streaks would be incredibly OP in larger amounts than ssrm2 and so punished reliance on skill-less weapons. This really was poor for that little 2D, but as the other person I was reacting to commented, the streak cooldown decrease making the streak2 fast firing made it more viable again.

Edited by Mad Porthos, 01 July 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#298 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

I was referring to the Op... In the very first post

I see now some years ago

not talking to you

#299 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

Light Ferro will be nice for my 2D bomber builds.

It seems I'm always a crit or two short because of external heatsinks and ECM soaking up critspace. Now, I can wring out a little more weight for the engine ...

... or I could run stealth armor which is 12 crits instead of 14.

Hmmmmm ...

#300 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

View PostBurning2nd, on 01 July 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

I was referring to the Op... In the very first post

I see now some years ago

not talking to you

Don't say my name in vain! You just made me awake from my slumber Posted Image

Yes, it was a long time ago, what I said was perfectly fine back then, not so any more.

Skill tree brought a vast improvement to the chassis, it was not looked or even planed by PGI, everything just kind of accidentally fell in a way that played to the CMD's strenghts.

1: It always was kind of tanky but with survival now it does truly tank.
2: It's fast enough that it doesn't need speed tweak so it can put those points in other more useful things
3: Ammo quirks made the SRM builds viable
4: SPLs and specially cSPL were nerfed so badly it created a huge shift on the optimal weapon system for light mechs, MPLs and SRMs now rule.

I am still assessing the CMD, all I can say it's gone from being one of the worst lights (mechs in general actually) to being an above average mech, clearly. I am still undecided on it's competitiveness, but I'd say it's possibly the go to bomber light mech, fulfilling the old role Oxide used to fill thx to inferior but comparable fire power and hugely superior survivability.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users