6 replies to this topic

#1 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

Anyone able to recommend a good video capture and movie maker software does not have to be free just something user friendly and good.

#2 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:34 PM

If you are using an AMD card, use AMDs Raptr App.
If you are using an Nvidia card, use Nvidias Shadowplay.

Boths apps grab video directly from the GPU and encode with GPU power, so the CPU doesn't have to cut away performance from your game. They encode in .mp4 containers with a h264 codec, with customizable quality levels.

If you want uncompressed .avis for whatever you want to do, use Fraps. That costs 15€ though and produces gigantic files.

Movie "maker" programs are a bit harder though. I would always recommend people starting with the real stuff before learning any other porgrams, but 20€ a months just for a student license for the Adobe Creative cloud might be a bit too much for you and a bit overkill too.

If you just want to cut apart clips and put them back together, use the movie maker. Just make sure you export in a bitrate that is high enough, since .wmv is not a great format to render into.

People will recommend Sony Vegas, which I highly dislike, but thats personal opinion maybe.

So if you want to get serious, go for the Adobe programs. You can always get free trials of them and there are literally millions of tutorials out there for them.
If its just some Gameplay footage cutting for youtube, you are fine with the windows movie maker.

#3 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:37 PM

I use to use, Bandicam (record), VirtualDub (splice,edit, encode),Goldwave (sound/music editing etc) when making shenanigan videos like this

(i still hate youtube compression it's horrific)

http://www.bandicam.com/downloads/
http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/
http://www.goldwave.com/release.php

You'll want the X264 codec for the best compression and quality if you decide to use virtual dub, which you can view a guide and download here

#4 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

I mainly want to record Jenner Play in MWO and then post to you tube. I have an Nvidia 980 Ti and can with an I7 processor I can handle about anything.

Just want something that is tested and good. I have experience in the past with movie makers and capture just been a while and I am sure better stuff is out now.

#5 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:23 AM

OK, I am now using Shadowplay for video capture and I love it. However I am having one issue. I want to narrate my actions and can not for the life of me find a way for shadowplay to capture my own voice. The only work around that i have found is clicking Listen to Own Voice in my volume microphone properties. The problem with that is I hear my own voice through the speakers along with the games sound.

Is there something I am just completely missing?

#6 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:33 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 03 July 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

Anyone able to recommend a good video capture and movie maker software does not have to be free just something user friendly and good.

I use OBS (Open Broadcasting System)to capture and Windows movie maker for my edits. Both are real easy to learn and I can do some cool things with movie maker. You dont need to get all the fancy stuff right now but play around at editing and captures and then decide on what you want in the future..

This is one of my videos that I used with OBS and Windows Movie maker

#7 Krauser V

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:19 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 12 July 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

Is there something I am just completely missing?

Yep , you're completely missing something. Go to the Shadowplay panel in Geforce experience. You`ll see several buttons like mode, shadow-time, quality and .. audio ! Click on audio, then click on "in-game & microphone " - you're done. Anything you say on the mic is now also recorded.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users