#21 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:48 AM

View PostDashen, on 15 July 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

I find myself in trouble understanding how exactly lrm damage works, it seems it does no damage, i have lrm30 + artemis and it simply doesn't do much damage even when i hit targets at medium ranges.

Its simply dmg per missile hitting the target.
If you watch the videos closely you see a certain ammount of missiles simply missing the traget, or hitting interfering objects or beeing shoot down by AMS.

So if you consider the above mentioned there is an awfull lot of things able to interfere with your LRM dmg.

Even if you got an enemy standing still, at 300m, you are standing still and you got a perfect solid lock without any interference AND you got Artemis, it is a rare occasion to see all your missiles striking home.

So you will have to fire LOTS AAND LOTS of your LRM 30 to get some dmg on your target.

I've seen a lot of people chainfiring LRMs regardless of the situation.
Thats terribly wrong.
Especially if you are IS.
The strength of IS LRMs is they can fly as one big swarm. Since AMS systems only have a certain rate of fire you can easily overwhelm them. When I see ppl firing their multiple LRM 5 at chain into four assaults, everyone with AMS I could .... oh well.

#22 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,373 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:01 AM

When i tested the Hunchback 4J i got way better results chainfiring its LRM - it was almost twice the damage.
Chainfire or Swarmfire depends totaly on the Mech, the Player, the Connection pobably, AMS - there is simply no general advice.

#23 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

View PostDashen, on 15 July 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

I find myself in trouble understanding how exactly lrm damage works, it seems it does no damage, i have lrm30 + artemis and it simply doesn't do much damage even when i hit targets at medium ranges.

LRMs don't work like streaks, they home on the mech's coordinates. Not on it's bones. So an LRM 20 for example will have several missiles (4 or so), that will be sp spread out, they will not hit the mech, but land inches close to it. Each missile deals 1 point of damage. So that 30 of yours, is spread out across 8 sections on the mech, and possibly the ground.

#24 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 295 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:48 PM

LRMs are basically like a sandblaster. They don't do concentrated damage but rather "sand" armor off of nearly the entire 'mech they hit. Great for "softening up" the bad guys as you close, or if you can fire them from behind cover at range.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users