Skirmish On The Ner River City Map?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:53 AM

While it was called on before now we had a preview and it was not changed.

The spown point above the upper city , the bottom right ( edit: I thought the ingame map was inverse top to bottom , mb x) ) spown point that has it's own crater like are with a narrow enterance seems a bit unbalanced if the whole team decides to run in to it and setup a fireing line forwards the endterance , it's kinda like the defenders advantage in boreal vault.

Do anyone have any thoughts about counters?
I frist thought it was too small a surface with little cover to hold 12 mechs , but from the video it doesn't seem that way.

Edited by Nik Reaper, 06 July 2015 - 01:18 PM.

#2 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostNik Reaper, on 06 July 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

While it was called on before now we had a preview and it was not changed.

The spown point above the upper city , the top most left spown point that has it's own crater like are with a narrow enterance seems a bit unbalanced if the whole team decides to run in to it and setup a fireing line forwards the endterance , it's kinda like the defenders advantage in boreal vault.

Do anyone have any thoughts about counters?
I frist thought it was too small a surface with little cover to hold 12 mechs , but from the video it doesn't seem that way.

It's a bit too early to tell.

That being said, I really wish they made the entire map accessible, allowing some kind of sneaky flanking maneuver across the dam and the river leading into the dam. The center of the map isn't really that much wider, and although they did add some more cover on both sides of the Citadel, I'm kind of worried that the fighting will still take place on a relatively small part of the map (as is often the case with MWO maps), because moving around that critical area is either too hard or straight up impossible.

So really, I do hope that there are some good positions near either team's spawn position. Maybe even some brave pug teams will dare to avoid the standard rush to the center and try to hold their ground instead. Lord knows, some of the most enjoyable Skirmish / Assault matches I've had on Alpine and Tourmaline have been matches where one team just decided to hold their ground. And the most fun matches on Crimson Strait are usually matches where one team just decides to ignore the platform and hold the dense urban areas around B4, B5 and C6.

Btw, you may want to include a link to screenshots and/or video in your OP. I'm sure that'll make it easier to comment on specific positions for lazy and/or forgetful people like me :)

#3 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

All the regular maps will be used for the galaxy map some time someone said, for 4 v 4 and maybe other modes. Who knows.

The great part of this they may randomize where the two teams of 4 drop. This would add alot to every regular queue map for the 4 v 4 game mode. Tactics, scouting etc. 4 v 4 is looking like a really great addition coming up. Maybe 8 v 8 some time? again who knows but these new maps offer ALOT more options.

#4 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

Did I miss a public test server opportunity?

#5 Team Chevy86

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:49 AM

I think he means here:

View PostTarogato, on 06 July 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

Posted Image

I agree. Big waste of space. I doubt it will be a favorable position though.

Edited by Team Chevy86, 06 July 2015 - 11:49 AM.

#6 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

It will take a while for the other team to reach that entrance at all, so I have no worries. If you cant move past the entrance before the enemy team comes from all across this huge map then I won't feel sorry for you :P

#7 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

I'm more expecting the 'camping' in the bottom right corner area. Nice choke point...

#8 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostTeam Chevy86, on 06 July 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

I think he means here:
Posted Image
I agree. Big waste of space. I doubt it will be a favorable position though.

God, they could do so much interesting stuff in the area that is out of bounds. It wouldn't even need to increase the polygon count, and the fact that you've got mountains all around the river leading into the dam means (if I understand correctly) that your computer won't have to render all the buildings that are invisible due to broken line of sight.

They could do something like the river areas in Half Life 2, where the water has clearly been drained and the landscape looks sort of tortured from human influence.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users