• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:15 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 05 July 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

jump jets don't use any explosives afaik, they merely use air heated by the reactor engine

btw! it means they shouldn't work on hpg manifold - no air, no reaction mass, no propulsion... unless you carry a limited supply of some gas to be heated and thrown away;

also they kind of should cool down mechs when used

I have the answer to this actually, from in universe.

Mechs utilize Superheated Plasma from their reactor core, channeled through vents, to create thrust.

In the event that there is no type of reaction mass in the available enviornment, techs tend to fit an amount of reaction mass into storage within the mech that can be drawn on in limited supply.

So you are very right in that it should be no jumping, or limited jumping on HPG. HOWEVER, that's not exactly the best thing for gameplay.

You know me Bad, I'm always for more immersion, but at the same time, there's a level where you have to decide what's too much immersion? And for me, limited reaction mass is one of those things, and I don't even like jump jets [I come from house kurita sensability's... we ditch jump jets for more weapons and heatsinks.]

#22 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:07 AM

View PostFlash Frame, on 06 July 2015 - 03:15 AM, said:

I have the answer to this actually, from in universe.

Mechs utilize Superheated Plasma from their reactor core, channeled through vents, to create thrust.

"However, jump jets do not add plasma vented from the fusion engine, unlike fighters. Aerospace fighters are interested in maximizing their engine efficiency because they have to carry all their reaction mass onboard, and thus want the exhaust as hot as possible. On the other hand, jump jets usually have an endless supply of reaction mass and don’t need all the complexity of venting their fusion engine’s plasma. These jets thus usually capture air as their reaction mass through a system of turbo-compressors." - TechManual, pg. 39

:rolleyes:

Edited by Strum Wealh, 06 July 2015 - 04:08 AM.

#23 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:39 AM

For your reading pleasure. :)

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Jump_Jet

#24 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 05 July 2015 - 08:54 AM, said:

The theory behind mechwarrior jump jets is pressure released from superheated compressed gas or fluid. So why do you not lose jump jets in combat and why are there not jump jet fuel explosions?

Cause the fuel is in your reactor, what comes out the "jet" is the already burning plasma... :huh:

View PostStrum Wealh, on 06 July 2015 - 04:07 AM, said:

"However, jump jets do not add plasma vented from the fusion engine, unlike fighters. Aerospace fighters are interested in maximizing their engine efficiency because they have to carry all their reaction mass onboard, and thus want the exhaust as hot as possible. On the other hand, jump jets usually have an endless supply of reaction mass and don’t need all the complexity of venting their fusion engine’s plasma. These jets thus usually capture air as their reaction mass through a system of turbo-compressors." - TechManual, pg. 39

Take 25 years and thow it out the window! :huh:

#25 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:49 AM

Jumpjets work on space magic. Because thats the only way they could actually work.

#26 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:50 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 06 July 2015 - 08:42 AM, said:

Take 25 years and thow it out the window! :huh:

It doesn't seem terrifically relevant, but given the 112 citations on the Sarna page, that does seem to be the current cannon explanation. Turbofans compress air which is then ignited by a glorified spark plug.

View PostKhobai, on 06 July 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

Jumpjets work on space magic. Because thats the only way they could actually work.

On the one hand yes, the fiction explanation is probably garbage in reality the whole idea is ********. I think we are assuming that. The question is more about what the cannon explanation is, and why jets don't explode. I think.

#27 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:19 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 05 July 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

Now that would be cool! To see a mech get hit and then have the pressure suddenly and uncontollably fling them across the map, much like when you knock the top off a nitrogen tank!

Well when you kill a mech while it's jj's are firing they do sputter a bit afterward.

#28 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:49 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 05 July 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

Now that would be cool! To see a mech get hit and then have the pressure suddenly and uncontollably fling them across the map, much like when you knock the top off a nitrogen tank!

I would expect it to look more like it's pinwheeling, rotating around it's center of mass and accelerating roughly in a spiral as it predominantly falls down. Kind of like a botched aerial drop.

But I'm pissing in the wind here.

#29 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 06 July 2015 - 04:07 AM, said:

Eh, I was running on Pre-techmanual knowlege.

#30 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostWater Bear, on 06 July 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

It doesn't seem terrifically relevant, but given the 112 citations on the Sarna page, that does seem to be the current cannon explanation. Turbofans compress air which is then ignited by a glorified spark plug.

On the one hand yes, the fiction explanation is probably garbage in reality the whole idea is ********. I think we are assuming that. The question is more about what the cannon explanation is, and why jets don't explode. I think.

In a way, it's not too dissimilar to how the small lightcraft tested by the US Army at the White Sands Missile Range in the late 1990s at operates: the turbo-compressors pull ambient atmosphere into the reaction chamber and compress it (creating a high-pressure region), then the igniter system (in whatever form(s) it may take) rapidly superheats the air, causing it to expand violently (e.g. detonate) and be directed through the jump jet exhaust port(s) to produce useful thrust.

#31 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:28 AM

View PostCathy, on 05 July 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

We put auto canon ammo in our feet, which means it has to get past an ankle, knee, hip, waist, shoulder, and sometimes the elbow, without Jamming, it also travels past a 'cold' fusion reactor without exploding :blink:

HAHA! This has been on my mind for a long time but I never had the guts to discuss why this was possible... I guess the 'it's only a game' sentence explains it all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users