36 replies to this topic

#21 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

I found that asking question in chat before a game is the best way and fastest way to get a true answer with the minimal ammount of trolling and zero people who "diasgree" with facts because they shouldnt be like that.

I know i answer question in chat readily when i can.

#22 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:44 AM

Next time go to http://mwomercs.com/...ew-player-help/

and Short Question, Short Answer...

#23 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 06 July 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

I found that asking question in chat before a game is the best way and fastest way to get a true answer with the minimal ammount of trolling and zero people who "diasgree" with facts because they shouldnt be like that.

I know i answer question in chat readily when i can.

Lots of misinformation there. For a simple question, probably safe, but something about Crits or how BAP works seem to be questionable.

The whole BAP decreases lock times (they don't), and Dual Gauss not being able to one shot (they can, rarely) come to mind.

Edited by Mcgral18, 06 July 2015 - 10:28 AM.

#24 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,980 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:25 AM

been playing MechWarrior since Mw2, there's lots of stuff I don't know and not sure of, but I usually Google or Sarna and research to find answers. But the Forums have lots of peeps that can answer your questions in seconds, instead having to do time consuming searches

I found my MW2 book on a visit to TX a some weeks ago and started looking at it a few ago something I did not do back in the day
Just read CASE means cellular ammunition storage equipment

One thing I am wondering about was Russ mentioned bone structure during the town hall meeting a term I haven’t herd before
What was he taking about?

#25 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:06 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 06 July 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

One thing I am wondering about was Russ mentioned bone structure during the town hall meeting a term I haven’t herd before

Without listening to it again I don't know what he was referring to, so I'll just mention the ones I know off the top of my head:

Bones are the "skeleton" of the 'mech's animation rigs; there's a lot of them:

Posted Image

Bone-targeting is used by Streak SRMs, where each missile picks a bone to hit from a pre-defined list corresponding to the hit locations on the 'mech (minus the head - yep, streaks cannot hit the head).

It could also refer to the fact that Host State Rewind previously ignored your 'mech's limbs - this is the fix that's going in tomorrow as a "hit registration fix"; you will now hit instead of miss if your shot hits an arm or a leg in certain HSR situations.

#26 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 06 July 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

As part of how the game engine deals with mechs, each hit location has a virtual "bone". Streak missiles, for example, target the center of these bones and fly in as straight a line as the can towards them, and ignore everything in the way (this is why streaks going for the left side will plow into the right from the side, and why the missiles will sometimes nail the terrain, or even hit friendlies). Host State Rewind (HSR, a system designed to mitigate the issues of high ping players) checks where mechs were when shots were trigger pulls were made. HSR used to assume that mechs were in their default motionless stance (facing dead forward relative to the legs as far as I know, legs not in motion) for these purposes, which means torso-rolling against high ping players often didn't work so hot (conversely, it was almost impossible for them to hit the far leg of a mech from the side). With the upcoming changes to HSR it will also track the bones; so arm, leg, and torso positions will be accounted for.

Edited by Escef, 06 July 2015 - 11:13 AM.

#27 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:29 AM

See, this is why I suggested that the mechlab should show:
  • Base number of structure points on each component
  • Equipped number of armour points (and max armour) on each component
  • Extra structure points from quirks on each component
  • Extra armour points from quirks on each component
I'd say 90-95% of the people playing this game have no idea precisely how much damage each component on their mechs can take.

Click for mock-up

Spoiler

#28 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:34 AM

Good to see someone asking questions. About the trolling its best to just get used it, the men in green prowl these forums day and night. :) Actually I dont know what they wear but I assume trolls wear green, or, are at the very least greenish in color themselves. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 06 July 2015 - 11:36 AM.

#29 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

The reason why the bones exist, btw, is to make the work of the animators easier. With them, they can just assign parts of the geometry to a bone, then move and rotate the bone, instead of having to move and rotate each piece of the geometry separately. Bones are also in a hiearachy, so if you move the hip bone, it will move all bones "above" it as well, making animation even more efficient.

Edited by zagibu, 06 July 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#30 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 06 July 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

Good to see someone asking questions. About the trolling its best to just get used it, the men in green prowl these forums day and night. :) Actually I dont know what they wear but I assume trolls wear green, or, are at the very least greenish in color themselves. :)

As far as I know, trolls being green was originally a D&D thing.

Posted Image

#31 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

I always thought of additional internal structure as a magical thing we just accepted through faith like "ghost heat" and "invisible pink unicorns"

#32 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:33 PM

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

I wish the game would have some sort of interface to describe all this info to new players or players who have questions about the game...

#33 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:34 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 06 July 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

Thanks

When I first started a year ago I had a lot of questions but I decided to temper my questions because of the nature of forums

6 months or so into MWO I ask a question in the new player section and was told you’re not a new player

So I stopped asking questions in the new player area

Now at the 1 year mark I still have a ton of questions so I thought I would ask one

My only frame of reference is in the F16 world
The F16s additional structure would be thicker bulkheads
(I thought that might be it but I wasn’t sure so I asked)

Anyway I don’t have that many Mechs and I sort of suck at this game so I don’t think giving someone my password would do them any good lol

Ok, first off, fimilarize yourself with how Classic Battletech handles damage. Then understand the mechwarrior functions on the same system, just with inflated hitpoints for locations.

The obvious things you've probably figured out already... your mech is split into 11 parts, 2arms, 2legs, 6torso spots[front and back],and head.

Armor is distributed individually into those spots... Internal Structure Hitpoints however are shared between the front/back torso [it's why you can get cored out yet your back armor stay pristine.]

If you have any questions, nearly everything can be worked out by looking at how Classic Battletech handles things [with the exception of the heat scale and jump jets]

#34 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

View Poststjobe, on 06 July 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

Technically, it's the exact opposite - the amount of armour a section can have is double the internal structure value - except for the head, which is always 15 IS + 18 armour on all 'mechs.

Edit: Mildly interesting side-note - all internal structure values in MWO are doubled from what they are in TT - except the head, which is quintupled. TT heads have 3 IS, 9 armour max. Yes, a single Gauss or AC/20 hit to the head would instantly kill any 'mech. In MWO, only a dual AC/20 hit will do so - or dual Gauss and a bit of luck (thanks, Mcgral18!).

Thank you. I've played this game for a long time but there's so much to know that is unwritten.

#35 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

View Poststjobe, on 06 July 2015 - 11:06 AM, said:

Bone-targeting is used by Streak SRMs, where each missile picks a bone to hit from a pre-defined list corresponding to the hit locations on the 'mech (minus the head - yep, streaks cannot hit the head).

Wait, what? My streaks can't hit the head of a mech? I call hogwash and balderdash! Peshaw to that mechanic! PESHAW. I demand to know who thought that was a good idea! I spit on them and wish a pox on their reproductive organs. LRM's can magically swarm down on my unsuspecting noggin but streaks cannot? Fiddlesticks.

#36 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 06 July 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

See, this is why I suggested that the mechlab should show:
  • Base number of structure points on each component
  • Equipped number of armour points (and max armour) on each component
  • Extra structure points from quirks on each component
  • Extra armour points from quirks on each component
I'd say 90-95% of the people playing this game have no idea precisely how much damage each component on their mechs can take.

Click for mock-up

Spoiler

Yes! You're talking about me. This would be very helpful.

#37 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

View PostMors Draco, on 06 July 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

Wait, what? My streaks can't hit the head of a mech? I call hogwash and balderdash! Peshaw to that mechanic! PESHAW. I demand to know who thought that was a good idea! I spit on them and wish a pox on their reproductive organs. LRM's can magically swarm down on my unsuspecting noggin but streaks cannot? Fiddlesticks.

I guess you can blame Paul "The Nerfinator" Inouye; he was the one in charge of balancing back then.

In the July 16, 2013 patch, Streak SRMs got bone-targeting with the following percentages assigned to hit each location:
* LA, RA, LL, RL: 15% each,
* LT,RT: 12% each,
* CT 16%.

Once the arms are destroyed the percentages are recalculated to
* LL,RL: 24% each,
* LT,RT: 15.6% each,
* CT 20.8%

Also, destroyed legs will still be targeted by Streaks, but if an arm is targeted but gets destroyed before the missile hits it, that missile will re-target and try to hit the neighbouring side torso instead.

So there you have it; Streaks can't hit the head.

Edited by stjobe, 06 July 2015 - 03:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users