How Do You Like The Jump Jet Changes? Poptarts Strike Back?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

Class I, III and IV jump jets have been buffed. On the Clan side, this means Dire Wolves, Summoners and Novas, amongst others. On the Inner Sphere side, it means Highlanders, Cataphracts and Griffins.

You like?

My first impressions:
  • Summoner still doesn't jump well enough.
  • Nova poptarts are going to be everywhere.
  • My GRF-1N with XL325 engine and 7 jump jets is a lot of fun to play right now. On River City, jumping on the buildings feels like a gundam version of the rooftop scene in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
  • Even with full amount of jump jets, the Highlander still doesn't jump very well. With 4 of them, you can just barely jump from Citadel level to the space port on River city, if you have the right speed. Not quite worth the 8 tons, IMO.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 07 July 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:52 PM

not too worried about poptarts. Even in novas you have to know how to aim. Not a skill I see the masses developing anytime soon.

#3 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:53 PM

poptarts + 40pt alphas = peg leg every where!

#4 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:59 PM

The Executionner on River City seemed to have a better time climbing the Citadel... You can feel the difference right at the start.

#5 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:58 PM

I have tested my Highlander with 3 JJs on Canyon Network, since I have a few reference points there and I was wondering if the patch worked... I cannot see a difference in the behaviour at all. You still usually can reach a cliffedge with millimetres of room between sucess and fall.

#6 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

View PostChapeL, on 07 July 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

The Executionner on River City seemed to have a better time climbing the Citadel... You can feel the difference right at the start.

View PostJohn McHobo, on 07 July 2015 - 01:58 PM, said:

I have tested my Highlander with 3 JJs on Canyon Network, since I have a few reference points there and I was wondering if the patch worked... I cannot see a difference in the behaviour at all. You still usually can reach a cliffedge with millimetres of room between sucess and fall.

Seems like the reduced fuel has basically nullified the extra thrust.

#7 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:07 PM

I guess their goal was to increase the acceleration and make the JJs more responsive without increasing their jump height.

#8 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

That is my assumption too.
  • Initial boost off the ground increased from 158 to 220 = roughly 25% bonus
  • In-air thrust increased from 50 to 68 =almost 50% bonus
  • Duration of burn (fuel amount) reduced from 4.9 to 4.1 =roughly 20% malus
Is my guessmath rightt? I can´t bring these numbers into correlation (Its quite late here).
Thanks to anyone who can explain the math to me.

#9 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:23 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 07 July 2015 - 02:01 PM, said:

But Extra Thrust is a million times more important than fuel.

This has made poptarts viable. Not OP. Viable.

#10 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:32 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 07 July 2015 - 02:23 PM, said:

But Extra Thrust is a million times more important than fuel.

This has made poptarts viable. Not OP. Viable.

Well, it's not like PGI is asking me for opinions. But I always felt like jump jets on assault mechs should be about mobility first and poptarting second. So when I invest in 8 tons of jump jets instead of 2 or 4, I'm more concerned about whether my Highlander can move rather than whether it can poptart.

I don't mind poptarts, but I think it would be better for the game if they were mostly medium and heavy mechs. The static Highlander poptart meta was kind of boring, but I wouldn't say it's such a bad thing if more medium mechs start poptarting.

#11 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 07 July 2015 - 02:01 PM, said:

Classic PGI "fix".

#12 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:38 PM

the thrust changes made Highlander usable again

3-5 JJ:s will give you reasonable thrust for spreading damage or some limited poptarting.

#13 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

View Poststjobe, on 07 July 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

Classic PGI "fix".

But it actually is one of the best fixes in a long time. Not a "fix." The height you reach hasn't changed, but the speed at which you get there has. This is a great change and exactly what we've been asking for. It's usable again, and they didn't go overboard.

#14 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,659 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

The Vindi and Nova don't feel that much different, though it seems because of the added fuel I am taking less leg damage and still getting height so I guess there is that. The Class IV JJs feel right, but the heat dissipation is still what keeps this from being as competitive as laser vomit in the higher levels. The day I am stuck between the choice of the Wolverine and a poptart is the day I will truly be excited, and I think they are close, for mediums that is. The higher up you go from that the worse off it is.

#15 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:41 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 07 July 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

I don't mind poptarts, but I think it would be better for the game if they were mostly medium and heavy mechs. The static Highlander poptart meta was kind of boring, but I wouldn't say it's such a bad thing if more medium mechs start poptarting.

There are good poptarts for every weight class now. The Nova is an excellent one right now for example.

#16 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:41 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 07 July 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

Well, it's not like PGI is asking me for opinions. But I always felt like jump jets on assault mechs should be about mobility first and poptarting second. So when I invest in 8 tons of jump jets instead of 2 or 4, I'm more concerned about whether my Highlander can move rather than whether it can poptart.

Well it jumps FASTER now. Not higher, FASTER, which, if you care about mobility, is more important than max height.

#17 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:54 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 July 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

Well it jumps FASTER now. Not higher, FASTER, which, if you care about mobility, is more important than max height.

Speed is only one part of mobility. Another part is the ability to get where I want. Like jumping up to the Citadel on River City or jumping right up to the platform on Crimson Strait, jumping out of the canyons on Canyon Network or jumping up from Theta on Frozen City. (Just examples, but you get the point)

If you try to make those jumps and fail miserably, the extra fast jump is a very small consolation. But for a slow Highlander or Dire Wolf, the ability to quickly move between levels instead of walking around to the nearest ramp, it can be the difference between life or death. Especially in the pug queue, where Nascar is alive and well and assault mechs are often left behind like baby elephants for the hyenas to feed on.

#18 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 07 July 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

Speed is only one part of mobility. Another part is the ability to get where I want. Like jumping up to the Citadel on River City or jumping right up to the platform on Crimson Strait, jumping out of the canyons on Canyon Network or jumping up from Theta on Frozen City. (Just examples, but you get the point)

If you try to make those jumps and fail miserably, the extra fast jump is a very small consolation. But for a slow Highlander or Dire Wolf, the ability to quickly move between levels instead of walking around to the nearest ramp, it can be the difference between life or death. Especially in the pug queue, where Nascar is alive and well and assault mechs are often left behind like baby elephants for the hyenas to feed on.

Noone Ever said:

We wanted Hoverjets™.

Edited by Deathlike, 07 July 2015 - 02:56 PM.

#19 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:58 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 07 July 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

But it actually is one of the best fixes in a long time. Not a "fix." The height you reach hasn't changed, but the speed at which you get there has. This is a great change and exactly what we've been asking for.

It's only half of what I've been asking for, really. Hoverjets weren't just a joke because the thrust was so low, but also because your Highlander (aka Hoverlander) just hovered over the ground like it was tethered to the ground.

If I plonk down 8 tons of jump jets, I want to feel the wind flow through my hair. I want some altitude.

Posted Image

#20 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

Spider V with max JJ.

For science!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users