Just Play Conquest

51 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:36 AM

I didn't even realize they removed the turrets, and was looking forward to playing the new patch, but after stopping by the boards i saw and thought, man this sucks.. Before turrets assault just sucked. Groups, is one thing, but pugs.. They were never any fun...

Uncheck skirmish

uncheck assault...

Hello conquest cue! I always find the games much more fun anyway.. Perhaps if more people just play conquest, the cue wait won't be so long, and PGI might have to come up with another form of gameplay beside base rush, or find the ECM spider...

#2 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:38 AM

Everyone has their own opinion JC. Assault is meant to be Knocking your door down and taking your stuff. Like it is in CW. Now how many of you do I need to kill to be able to take your stuff?

If you don't protect what you have You don't deserve it!

#3 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:39 AM

You should try skirmish more often, hiders are neglectable and asking them friendly helps from time to time.

#4 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:39 AM

Meh.

I don't care, best mode is skirmish mode.

Kill robots, only objective.

Simple, yet elegant.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:49 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 08 July 2015 - 01:39 AM, said:

Simple, yet elegant.
Mindless is more like it. You don't have to think about anything but killing. Got boring after a while.

#6 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:35 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 July 2015 - 01:38 AM, said:

Everyone has their own opinion JC. Assault is meant to be Knocking your door down and taking your stuff. Like it is in CW. Now how many of you do I need to kill to be able to take your stuff?

It was, If the team decided to base rush it was a tactic you had to defend.. No turrets, and the cap speed the way it is, a single light can just run and take the base, even if the team doesn't wan't that, and end the game after a min..

It was Zero fun before.. there were 1000's of posts about how hated it was, and turrets were added, and it became a fun mode. You can still storm bases, and use that as a tactic, and still have to defend the base.

I just wanna know who all the idiots are that were dying to a base turret, that was ruining everyones game? I have never died on accident to a base turret, though maybe once or twice trying to take a base if i was totally wrecked. I've never had a lone mech end a match, due to hiding in a base.. *(though me and one guy did defend once from 5 mechs and won the match, after the last 2 ran back to their base and we caught up.. talk about exciting!)

there was zero wrong with the game mode.. If ya wan't skirmish, play skirmish, this skirmish with cap end after one min is for the birds.. Play pugs, and then come back and talk to me how much fun it is..

#7 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:54 AM

I agree JC,

But they refuse to look at history. They put the turrets in for a reason. Assault mode was basically ignored after Skirmish came out for a reason. They put the turrets in to try to "save" the game mode from total desolation. Both teams nascaring around the map, not finding each other, and "oh well, may as well cap it since we're here". The tiny maps weren't that big a deal, but Mordor... or Alpine...?

Light pilot: "Oh no, I'm not *really* capping, just false capping, because... tactics, yeah that's it."

Opposing team goes all in on counter cap: "Hey, you guys started capping first, so now we're capping."

Neither side willing to step off cap and actually play the game, because "This is TACTICS BABY". Try to get your lights to RTB to engage, only to find that Every. Single. One. of them is on enemy base capping. Along with every mech on your team with a top speed over 75. So you sit there and play "watch the cap bars", or you're in a mid to fast medium and actually make it back to your base in time... Oh wait, it's a full lance of med's and heavies standing there.

Total match time... 2 minutes. Total wait time in game que... 2 minutes.

SWEET! Love me 'dat Stand In a Box Warrior Online man!

#8 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:16 AM

Was hoping for a complete assault overhaul my self, I hate this game mode becuase it just turns into another skirmish mode which is incredibly boring. also the turrets where barely threatning at all, a medium laser (or 2?) and an LRM10 thats pretty easy to take cover from :\

Edited by Kodiak Jorgensson, 08 July 2015 - 04:17 AM.

#9 PurpleNinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:33 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 July 2015 - 01:49 AM, said:

Mindless is more like it. You don't have to think about anything but killing. Got boring after a while.

I don't think so.
Most of the time people don't PTFO.

#10 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:38 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 July 2015 - 01:38 AM, said:

There is no door to knock down Joe.

It's not an assault at all, you run and stand on a spot on the ground.

That's it.

The "if you don't protect what you have, you don't deserve it!" mentality is misplaced.

I don't want my own team to rush caps and win with no combat - what the hell is the point of having mechs with weapons?

Using the base to draw the enemy out of position is fine, but there are a lot of pilots who will continue to cap win even though your team is already winning on kills. It's the same stupidity that sometimes pervades PUG conquest matches.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 08 July 2015 - 04:39 AM.

#11 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:38 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 08 July 2015 - 02:35 AM, said:

It was, If the team decided to base rush it was a tactic you had to defend.. No turrets, and the cap speed the way it is, a single light can just run and take the base, even if the team doesn't wan't that, and end the game after a min..

It was Zero fun before.. there were 1000's of posts about how hated it was, and turrets were added, and it became a fun mode. You can still storm bases, and use that as a tactic, and still have to defend the base.

I just wanna know who all the idiots are that were dying to a base turret, that was ruining everyones game? I have never died on accident to a base turret, though maybe once or twice trying to take a base if i was totally wrecked. I've never had a lone mech end a match, due to hiding in a base.. *(though me and one guy did defend once from 5 mechs and won the match, after the last 2 ran back to their base and we caught up.. talk about exciting!)

there was zero wrong with the game mode.. If ya wan't skirmish, play skirmish, this skirmish with cap end after one min is for the birds.. Play pugs, and then come back and talk to me how much fun it is..

There were as many posts defending the right to have base capping. I know I made a few of them from my Slow as molasses Atlas. If you don't like being capped you need to guard your base! If you don't, then you lose.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:44 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 08 July 2015 - 01:39 AM, said:

Meh.

I don't care, best mode is skirmish mode.

Kill robots, only objective.

Simple, yet elegant.

yet I usually end up in far better actual fights in Conquest. I would guess less than 10% of my matches end by Pts. But unlike skirmish you don't usually end up with brain dead death blobs peeking at each other for 10 minutes. It forces more mobile fighting, which is a heck of a lot more fun.

#13 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:44 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 08 July 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

There is no door to knock down Joe.

It's not an assault at all, you run and stand on a spot on the ground.

That's it.

The "if you don't protect what you have, you don't deserve it!" mentality is misplaced, I don't want my own team to rush caps and win with no combat - what the hell is the point of having mechs with weapons?

Using the base to draw the enemy out of position is fine, but there are a lot of pilots who will continue to cap win even though your team is already winning on kills. It's the same stupidity that sometimes pervades PUG conquest matches.

And? Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Some folks like to be all ninja like and steal the win from under your nose. That pisses some folks off. I get it. But to bad you didn't protect your square on the ground.

PGI can take some aspects from CW and add them to Assault. Kill the generator. Destroys the base. I win. Easy enough. As for the killing... Not everyone wants to be forced to kill everything to win. And Conquest is supposed to THE cap to win scenario. To damn bad some people wanna be killers more than actually doing the mission.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 08 July 2015 - 04:44 AM.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:49 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 July 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

And? Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Some folks like to be all ninja like and steal the win from under your nose. That pisses some folks off. I get it. But to bad you didn't protect your square on the ground.

or if it gets a person's panties in a bunch, ...um...uncheck the mode box?

The only people I don't get, are the idiots who PLAY a game mode, then complain about it, when whether you play that mode or not, is totally up to you.

Don't like it? Great. But are you such a precious princess that you can't uncheck the box?

#15 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:15 AM

Not gonna play a game mode where there can be, theoretically, zero fighting. I play Mechwarrior for combat, not to stand on a plot of land for a few seconds.

There are plenty of video games out there where you use speed to accomplish tasks. Go play them and leave Mechwarrior out....

#16 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:24 AM

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 08 July 2015 - 03:54 AM, said:

I agree JC,

But they refuse to look at history. They put the turrets in for a reason. Assault mode was basically ignored after Skirmish came out for a reason. They put the turrets in to try to "save" the game mode from total desolation. Both teams nascaring around the map, not finding each other, and "oh well, may as well cap it since we're here". The tiny maps weren't that big a deal, but Mordor... or Alpine...?

Light pilot: "Oh no, I'm not *really* capping, just false capping, because... tactics, yeah that's it."

Opposing team goes all in on counter cap: "Hey, you guys started capping first, so now we're capping."

Neither side willing to step off cap and actually play the game, because "This is TACTICS BABY". Try to get your lights to RTB to engage, only to find that Every. Single. One. of them is on enemy base capping. Along with every mech on your team with a top speed over 75. So you sit there and play "watch the cap bars", or you're in a mid to fast medium and actually make it back to your base in time... Oh wait, it's a full lance of med's and heavies standing there.

Total match time... 2 minutes. Total wait time in game que... 2 minutes.

SWEET! Love me 'dat Stand In a Box Warrior Online man!

In assault mode without turrets it's common sense to try to cap the enemy base at least once just to distract the enemy. If the rest of the team fails to actually find and engage the enemy and lets them cap their base, they're the ones who failed. If the enemy somehow manages to deal with both the capper and the rest of the team, survivors will have a better chance at capping the base or killing the remaining hostiles than they would have otherwise.

#17 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:47 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 July 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

yet I usually end up in far better actual fights in Conquest. I would guess less than 10% of my matches end by Pts. But unlike skirmish you don't usually end up with brain dead death blobs peeking at each other for 10 minutes. It forces more mobile fighting, which is a heck of a lot more fun.

Agree. I've had some great Conquest games in Alpine of all places, including some balls-out mêlée in map sections I hardly knew existed (i.e. far from H10).

Assault clearly needed something, as it was pretty redundant due to people playing it as Skirmish 9+ times out of 10. In present form though I expect it's not great for the public queue in particular. Pushing without exposing the base would demand the sort of coordination which I don't expect to arise in PuG, so it might become a frustrating experience for all. Ideally people would learn play together smarter, but I think that's a tall order when you throw together 12 strangers, some of whom might not speak English anyway, for 5-10 minutes. I'll reserve final judgement until I play it more though.

#18 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,959 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

I'm almost afraid to mention it, but Cbill rewards tend to be better in conquest too.

<-- Ducks for Paulconomy spies.

Edited by Mister D, 08 July 2015 - 08:18 AM.

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:29 AM

View PostCoolant, on 08 July 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

Not gonna play a game mode where there can be, theoretically, zero fighting. I play Mechwarrior for combat, not to stand on a plot of land for a few seconds.

There are plenty of video games out there where you use speed to accomplish tasks. Go play them and leave Mechwarrior out....

In a training exercise my 4 man fire team snuck into the 2nd Platoons trench and killed every sleeping Jarhead. Every 4th man was supposed to be on watch in the trench and the listening posts were easy to slip past.

By your line of thinking we should have woke up the other guys before we entered the trench. The heck with that, I'd rather kill you in your sleep. I stand a better chance to get paid that way!

Success is more valuable than a kill count.

Employer: Where's the hickymajiggerdoodle?

Merc: We didn't get it. But we killed all the enemy on the base!

Employer: But the base is now reinforced and on high alert. I won't be able to reverse engineer the hickymajiggerdoodle and make up the cost of your failure! ComStar... I'd like to file a grievance for incompetence against these dweebs!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 08 July 2015 - 08:55 AM.

#20 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:32 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 July 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

There were as many posts defending the right to have base capping. I know I made a few of them from my Slow as molasses Atlas. If you don't like being capped you need to guard your base! If you don't, then you lose.

This is true. I was one of the ones posting that Base capping stunk. I hate that form of victory, but it has it's place and I've even participated in it when games "go that way".

The problem is that without some form of deterrent, this game encourages death-balling. So if you want to protect your base from capping you need to leave a large group there because there's a good chance that the other group is in a death-ball and will crush a team that's divided when they encounter part of it.

Yes, tactics...tactics....tactics.....but come on, we all know that in PUG games 90% of us are too stupid, or too impatient, or too ADD to use tactics, so some form of deterrent needs to be in place. If not turrets, then how about something similar to CW where there are 2 or 3 generators spaced throughout the map ( or even next to the cap) that need to be destroyed before capping can begin? Anything that offers some chance for the defenders to re-group.

As a side note, I've never been a fan of using top-tier players exclusively to determine how a game should be designed. Just by the definition of top-tier they are not representative of the majority of the people playing the game. Their input needs to be tempered by the reality that for the game to thrive it has to still cater to the rest of us "plugs".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users