Setting The Graphics For Optimal Gaming?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandros

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 153 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:38 AM

Greetings:

I have some issues finding how should I set up my graphic options to play a bit smoother.
My Rig can play most of games with no issues with settings that begin from medium to even maximum.
But MWO is a real challedge since I don't know if it supports my hardware configuration:

My little mech:

CPU :AMD A10 7850k (3,7ghz/4ghz)
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast at 2133mhz (goes up to 2400)
GPU: XFX R7 250 (Core Version) with 2GB RAM (latest catalyst drivers and linked with APU in Dual Graphics mode like crossfire)
Supply :Thermaltake "Munich" 430W
Windows 8.1 pro
The rig is watercooled no issues with temperatures.

MWO is the only game that I cannot find a combination of settings to play it smoothly. Am I doomed?

#2 MechWarrior849305

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:40 AM

Resolution? Amount of FPS? FPS needed/wanted? Ingame settings (Low/Med/High/U-High)?

Edited by DuoAngel, 09 July 2015 - 12:41 AM.

#3 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:07 AM

The individual video options vary greatly in how much they affect FPS. Check the following:

http://www.reddit.co...ngs_effect_fps/

Particularly bad FPS hogs include Object Detail, Particles, Shadows, and Environment. Particles especially affects FPS drop during combat, as it changes the amount of debris flying around. Setting Particles=low also gets rid of the FPS-hogging steam effect when you run hot.

I play on a so-and-so laptop, and have ended up playing with everything at Low except Texturing at Medium. The latter greatly improves the visuals, with negligible FPS drop.

As a last resort you can try playing at a lower-than-native resolution -- that'll give you tens of % FPS improvement.

#4 Alexandros

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 153 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:24 AM

View PostDuoAngel, on 09 July 2015 - 12:40 AM, said:

Resolution? Amount of FPS? FPS needed/wanted? Ingame settings (Low/Med/High/U-High)?

the desired would be 1080p but ill compromise with 720p (thx for replying)

View Postjss78, on 09 July 2015 - 01:07 AM, said:

The individual video options vary greatly in how much they affect FPS. Check the following:

http://www.reddit.co...ngs_effect_fps/

Particularly bad FPS hogs include Object Detail, Particles, Shadows, and Environment. Particles especially affects FPS drop during combat, as it changes the amount of debris flying around. Setting Particles=low also gets rid of the FPS-hogging steam effect when you run hot.

I play on a so-and-so laptop, and have ended up playing with everything at Low except Texturing at Medium. The latter greatly improves the visuals, with negligible FPS drop.

As a last resort you can try playing at a lower-than-native resolution -- that'll give you tens of % FPS improvement.

thx for the suggestion and replying :)

Edited by Alexandros, 09 July 2015 - 01:25 AM.

#5 Alexandros

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 153 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:30 AM

I think I have found a sweet spot that seems to use the Dual mode without problem: 720p All High except shadows (low) and AA (off). So far no stutter. It seems that Dx 11 mode caused some major lag spikes so I turned Dx9 on.

1280x720 in Dx9 mode (64bit client)
All high except shadows (off)
AA off

In normal multiplayer matches Fps 50-65 and decent visual for sniping.

Edited by Alexandros, 09 July 2015 - 01:32 AM.

#6 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:42 AM

View PostAlexandros, on 09 July 2015 - 12:38 AM, said:

GPU: XFX R7 250 (Core Version) with 2GB RAM (latest catalyst drivers and linked with APU in Dual Graphics mode like crossfire)

I'm not an AMD aficionado, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe your GPU and CPU are about halfway between the "minimum" and "recommended" settings for the game (found here) so you may need to look at medium to low settings on all the fancy options.

#7 blindhai

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

View PostRaggedyman, on 09 July 2015 - 03:42 AM, said:

I'm not an AMD aficionado, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe your GPU and CPU are about halfway between the "minimum" and "recommended" settings for the game (found here) so you may need to look at medium to low settings on all the fancy options.

Is there any guide, where you can see the optimal graphics settings with a good performance at 1080p with 60 fps? I meet the recommended system requirements with a 3570K with 4 GHz and a GTX960 plus 16 GB Ram, but i have problems reaching stable 60 fps at something higher than medium settings.

So which can i deactivate, without realizing it and it still looks nice?

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,703 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:42 AM

Okay, I had to edit my post. You are aware you necro'd a post that is 2.5 years old which was dealing with an AMD CPU and GPU?

Head to the Hardware and Accessories and generate a new thread for yourself with your system info, as this thread may be locked and/or moved now.

Hardware and Accessories
Trouble getting your settings or drivers for your awesome new Lostech to work? Experienced players may help!

https://mwomercs.com...re-accessories/

#9 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

View Postblindhai, on 07 January 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

Is there any guide, where you can see the optimal graphics settings with a good performance at 1080p with 60 fps? I meet the recommended system requirements with a 3570K with 4 GHz and a GTX960 plus 16 GB Ram, but i have problems reaching stable 60 fps at something higher than medium settings.

So which can i deactivate, without realizing it and it still looks nice?

Everything on low, maxed textures.

#10 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

View PostAlexandros, on 09 July 2015 - 12:38 AM, said:

Greetings:

I have some issues finding how should I set up my graphic options to play a bit smoother.
My Rig can play most of games with no issues with settings that begin from medium to even maximum.
But MWO is a real challedge since I don't know if it supports my hardware configuration:

My little mech:

Supply :Thermaltake "Munich" 430W
Windows 8.1 pro
The rig is watercooled no issues with temperatures.

MWO is the only game that I cannot find a combination of settings to play it smoothly. Am I doomed?

It is that 2gb of VRAM that is most likely throttling your system... VRAM is one of those things that is fine until it is not, then it falls off a cliff. if all you want is 1080p then stepping up to something with a higher VRAM count would help you out immensely like a 1060 6gb or even a 1050ti 4gb... the only other issue is your L2 cache being so low and this game is very CPU heavy. But really a larger VRAM buffer would help load everything into it which cuts down on processing power needed for every frame rendered. You can check that out by opening whatever GPU software you use and checking your VRAM utilized graph while playing the game... then it is just a matter of seeing what you can add from the lowest settings until you fill it up, while also taking into account that you need some spare to prevent huge lag spikes when the action gets more intense (mainly its the Particles which HAMMER everyones gpu in this game.)

more of a Hardware & Accessories question than a General Dicussion thread, though.

Edited by I_AM_ZUUL, 07 January 2017 - 06:40 PM.

#11 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

I get this problem again when coming back to MWO, this time equipped with a new Asus ROG and a Google router. Setting resolutions too low and too high, actually affects my scores and gaming performance. Too low a resolution and I can't see a damn thing, and too high a resolution, it gets laggy, although I have played other games in higher resolutions and they don't lag. I recently arrived to using 1600 x 900 for MWO as best for myself.

#12 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

LOW/MEDIUM.

This game is so unoptimized.

#13 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

For that CPU/Motherboard, go with a RX 470/480. You will see huge improvements in graphics. I myself have a FM2+ Motherboard using a A8-6600k, 16gb Ram, 2400s, but using 1866 settings. Was using the XFX R7-265, Ghost 2Gb, and that didn't even touch the graphics from Mediums. FPS was 40-50, and hot. Then installed a Nvidia EVGA GTX 970 FTW (4gb). No difference, and was saying wtf?

Then get this, I go out and purchase Asus Dual-fan Radeon RX 460 2GB OC Edition (Gaming card) for one of my other PCs, and of course for MWO, and used it temporary on this FM2+ board, but to have on Medium settings. This card blew away with the power. Its has half the specs a card should have, and its power is amazing. Memory interface: 128 bit, Requires a PCIe- 3.0 x16. But the card is PCIe is x8. Comes with OC mode software, but I never overclock, just put it on gaming mode with Asus GPU tweak 2. Played MWO, and I get 50-60 fps and all in medium setting, except for texture (high). Temps are 45-50 Celsuis, when MWO. Now just imagine if I go out and get a RX 480 (8gb).

The FM2+ board including processors was the worst purchase I have ever encountered for AMD, but sad choice, that the boards come with PCIe 3.0 x16. and the CPUs are hot as heck, that finding a cooler for CPU is not easy. Finally found one (AIO water cooler), and brought the temps down to 24c Idle, and 35c gaming. AM3+ boards only come with 2.0 PCIe 2.0/2.1 x16 slots. Not one AM3+ board comes with a PCIx 3.0 slot. It is a struggle. But when the ZEN comes out. Will be something. Try to lower your CPU Temp, that will help with FPS.

https://www.asus.com...0-O2G/overview/

Edited by GuardDogg, 07 January 2017 - 09:56 PM.

#14 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:29 PM

Just annoyed that when I finally got all my overclocks maxed out and stable, the maps all got revamped and now run like crap.

I am lining up a 1080 later down the line but I really dont think I have to. I am going to turn down the eye candy again so it looks like the original mw2 now :(
(MW2 Voodoo edition).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users