4 replies to this topic

#1 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

One of the things that River City 2.0 got right was finally feeling to scale. The 'Mechs feel huge, but they also feel proportional to their surroundings. It finds the perfect balance in this regard.

The new Forest Colony seems to have unbelievably massive trees. Ones so large they push what seems 'realistic' and make the 'Mech in the video seem tiny. (Granted it is a spider, so *maybe* my impression would be different with something taller at the helm, but they still seem positively massive, maybe 2-3x the height and circumference of a redwood).

Upon several rewatches, the detail of the ground (lots of visible details) and the height of the trees really make it feel like a dude running around in power armor instead of a ~9m BattleMech.

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:41 AM

Posted Image
I kinda like the giant trees.
But i'm also a person that likes the bog, soooo i'm probably not the right person to ask.

#3 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:54 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 09 July 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

Posted Image
I kinda like the giant trees.
But i'm also a person that likes the bog, soooo i'm probably not the right person to ask.

From the video, though, the Spider felt about as tall as the person in the picture. I don't mind "giant" trees, I would just prefer "realistically giant".

It's a small gripe, I know, I just want my 'Mech to feel like it's actually in the low double digit meters in height.

#4 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:24 AM

They are giant redwoods. They get to 116m tall. These are modeled on real trees....

#5 Thumper3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 281 posts
  • LocationTemplar Headquarters

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

View PostValar13, on 09 July 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

From the video, though, the Spider felt about as tall as the person in the picture. I don't mind "giant" trees, I would just prefer "realistically giant".

The Spider is NOT a big mech, using the representation from Sarna and the picture posted above of giant redwoods.......it should be pretty clear that the trees in Forest Colony 2.0 are quite small, realistically.

Posted Image

If the Spider were inserted into the Redwood forests and even the Sequoia's it would not even come to the halfway point of those trees.

Edited by Thumper3, 14 July 2015 - 09:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users