Shadowcat And Arctic Cheetah Countdown: 1 Day Left!

349 replies to this topic

#121 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:40 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 16 July 2015 - 07:36 PM, said:

But... but... I like things to make sense T.T
Did you seriously just post that... Here, on this forum, about this game? Lol! Oh, man. This just made my day :)

#122 signal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 July 2015 - 07:16 PM, said:

The orientation of the gun/launcher is irrelevant to the projectile direction. Far more likely than what you suggest is that the missiles will just fly out of the launcher and turn hard immediately - if they don't just fly out at an angle.

The animations and position of the "lower arm actuator" is utterly unrelated, in terms of game mechanics. Basically just take off your immersion hat for a moment, and consider: the HGN733C, for example, only has one LAA, on its off arm. Yet an AC20 held in the arm without a LAA whatsoever can still move laterally.

This is because actuators don't exist. It's just a fun way to fill crit slots and define lateral arm movement range.

It perhaps SHOULD matter, for immersion if nothing else, but yeah... I'd put money on my answer above being correct.

It's because thry cant have one arm have actuators amd not the other, it would require a third reticule, so instead they just lower the arm movement radius

#123 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:53 PM

View Postsignal, on 16 July 2015 - 07:45 PM, said:

It's because thry cant have one arm have actuators amd not the other, it would require a third reticule, so instead they just lower the arm movement radius
I understand that. That was my point actually, that working game mechanics trump "realism" every time. Thus, where the actuator is won't have any bearing on which hard points can aim. The arm weapons will all use the arm reticule, and it's extremely unlikely that those launchers will have their own animations, rigging, etc.

#124 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:21 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 16 July 2015 - 04:08 PM, said:

cannot help not to see it like this

Posted Image

You just made my day, totally can see it!

what has been seen, can never be.. ..#unseen! :P

#125 Zaldier

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:12 AM

Cannot wait for today's preview :D

#126 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:33 AM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 16 July 2015 - 08:21 PM, said:

You just made my day, totally can see it!

what has been seen, can never be.. ..#unseen! :P

Lol, this phrase always cracks me up when talking about Battletech :D

#reunreseen

Edited by Luscious Dan, 17 July 2015 - 07:33 AM.

#127 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:35 AM

View PostBalvier, on 17 July 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

Cannot wait for today's preview :D

Same here, kinda :P But, at the same time, I feel like I know everything about both mechs now, except how those shoulder missiles are going to work, and what it will look like without them... And whether the 2nd energy on the arm will mount on the side of the forearm, or if PGI will make the awesome one in a million call to put it where the missiles would be :P

#128 Zaldier

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:37 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 17 July 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

Same here, kinda :P But, at the same time, I feel like I know everything about both mechs now, except how those shoulder missiles are going to work, and what it will look like without them... And whether the 2nd energy on the arm will mount on the side of the forearm, or if PGI will make the awesome one in a million call to put it where the missiles would be :P

Do you know if we will get the variant with the 2 energy hardpoints in the arms I really hope so /drools
( unless thats what your talking about :huh: )

Edited by Balvier, 17 July 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#129 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostBalvier, on 17 July 2015 - 07:37 AM, said:

Do you know if we will get the variant with the 2 energy hardpoints in the arms I really hope so /drools
( unless thats what your talking about :huh: )

The C (4th variant, exclusive to early adopters) of Arctic Cheetah has 2E on each arm. 2E on L torso, and 1E on R torso. Though, no one is going to use the L torso, as that's the one the ECM lives in on the Prime. The B also has 2E on it's left arm, but the right has 1E + 1B.

So, the 2nd arm hardpoint will almost certainly be on the forearms... I just kinda wish they'd put it where the missiles are on the prime :P It would be interesting...

#130 Zaldier

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:55 AM

I bet the light pug que will be a long wait on the day it launches haha

I pre-ordered the Cheetah since it seems like the best clan light I have ever seen. I have a firestarter on my IS account and love the thing it totally rocks if the cheetah is half the mech the FS is it will be really fun.

#131 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:00 AM

The AC will be fun. It has the armour of the kit fox, speed of the ice ferret and pod space of the mist lynx.

Hitbox, let's just wait till we can run them in-game.

Edited by dragnier1, 17 July 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#132 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:05 AM

View PostBalvier, on 17 July 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

I pre-ordered the Cheetah since it seems like the best clan light I have ever seen. I have a firestarter on my IS account and love the thing it totally rocks if the cheetah is half the mech the FS is it will be really fun.

That'll be a change of pace. Seen some 70% heavy queues of late, and lights below 10% :P

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 17 July 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

The C (4th variant, exclusive to early adopters) of Arctic Cheetah has 2E on each arm. 2E on L torso, and 1E on R torso. Though, no one is going to use the L torso, as that's the one the ECM lives in on the Prime. The B also has 2E on it's left arm, but the right has 1E + 1B.

So, the 2nd arm hardpoint will almost certainly be on the forearms... I just kinda wish they'd put it where the missiles are on the prime :P It would be interesting...

Interesting, yes, but this would cause even more problems for the crosshairs than they had with upper arm missiles.

One of the photos seemed to have a black rectangle on the side of the forearm, so it seems like a safe bet to me that the laser will attach there. Or maybe it was a space grey apple watch (the ultimate in lostech).

#133 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

View PostBalvier, on 17 July 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

The AC will run circles around the Firestarter :P 6CSPLs has slightly higher damage than 8SPLs on the FS. It will run faster, jump farther, shoot farther, and hit harder, all while having ECM. They are also physically the same size, with the AC being /slightly/ shorter. The only up the Firestarter has, is it can potentially run cooler, and has more armor available.

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 17 July 2015 - 08:27 AM.

#134 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 17 July 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

The AC will run circles around the Firestarter :P 6CSPLs has slightly higher damage than 8SPLs on the FS. It will run faster, jump farther, shoot farther, and hit harder, all while having ECM. They are also physically the same size, with the AC being /slightly/ shorter. The only up the Firestarter has, is it can potentially run cooler, and has more armor available.

Max engine FS9 is faster by 7kph in addition to having a little more armor. It also does have some slight quirks, but yeah the Cheetah will definitely be packing (soon to be nerfed) ECM and there's the whole Clan XL thing.

Cheetah looks like a very good mech, which can play the same games as a Raven (ECM/hill humping) or a Firestarter/Jenner (speedy pulse laser spam) on one chassis. I haven't played much with my Ravens lately, but overall I still have more time logged on them than any other mech and I'm looking forward to using that playstyle again.

#135 Zaldier

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:38 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 15 July 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

Oooohhhh /drools

Scale vid posted on first page for day 4 fokes !

Edited by Balvier, 17 July 2015 - 09:45 AM.

#136 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:44 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 17 July 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

Max engine FS9 is faster by 7kph in addition to having a little more armor. It also does have some slight quirks, but yeah the Cheetah will definitely be packing (soon to be nerfed) ECM and there's the whole Clan XL thing.

Cheetah looks like a very good mech, which can play the same games as a Raven (ECM/hill humping) or a Firestarter/Jenner (speedy pulse laser spam) on one chassis. I haven't played much with my Ravens lately, but overall I still have more time logged on them than any other mech and I'm looking forward to using that playstyle again.

Do people generally take the biggest engine in a Firestarter? I would think it would often be knocked down a few pegs for more heatsinks, but I have never owned one, I don't really know...

Who are we kidding? The proposed ECM nerf isn't going to change much of anything outside of CW. And other organized gameplay. The lone wolves flanking behind enemy lines to stalk the stragglers won't be effected by this change in the least...

Actually, it kind of HELPs them in a way... What's the first sign you get that an ECM mech is sneaking up on you? Your hud starts to flicker. If that area of effect is only 90 meters, the first clue you'll have that you're being stalked is your ass falls off :P

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 17 July 2015 - 09:44 AM.

#137 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:50 AM

Ooh, they snuck in the B variants at the end :D We now know what the AC looks like sans missiles. AND that the 2nd energy is indeed boring, and located on the side of the forearm as predicted :P

SCat missile arms are.... Interesting :P

Hopefully tomorrow's reveal will sneak in the 4th variants... Really wanna see the MG boat SCat :D

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 17 July 2015 - 09:51 AM.

#138 Zaldier

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:54 AM

Looks awsome you can see at the end what it looks like without the missile pods in the upper arms, I was worried that it would just leave a huge "blow my arms off easy box" when removed.

This should be such a fun mech, the AC that is.

#139 Thell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

Arctic Cheetah is the hero we need but not the one we deserve.

#140 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:01 AM

Cheetah without the missile pods looks cool. Pretty much all concerns about the standard variant are gone. Nice.

Shadow Cat arm missiles are a bit weird, I wasn't sure what to expect but the method they used didn't ever cross my mind. Will need to see other angles to form a strong opinion one way or another, but frankly I don't plan on using the missile variants much (maybe a streak boat once in a while for light hunting duty, but that's it). With smaller tube count, it might look more normal (won't have to split above and below the forearm).

Everything else about the Shadow Cat is good by me. Really want to take one for a spin...

Edited by Luscious Dan, 17 July 2015 - 10:02 AM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users