• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:11 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 16 July 2015 - 02:06 AM, said:

Thats exactly what I thought...or roughly how I saw someone else put it somewhere.

"The only game where you can buy a ship or a new Honda".....

https://robertsspace...tionist-Digital

and I guess that explains what it gets, but still...wtf!?

$15K for the vehicles in a FREE to play game!?! WTF indeed!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 16 July 2015 - 02:34 AM.

#42 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:33 AM

About the video:

His bottom line is:
1.) The "average player" has to accept that content cannot be free but must be payed for.
My answer: They don't, so here we are. It's not that the BAD BAD companies force that strategy. They REACT, even are FORCED to react to the immature behavior of the average player.

2.) He would be willing to pay mighty 10 bucks for a sophisticated high-tech state-of-the-art multi-MILLION-dollar-game.
My answer: which extremely ironically can only work if there is the MASSIVE advertising that he condemns.

In short: naive idiot

On the thread:

MWO is completely free to play.
You can get EVERYTHING you need to be competitive eventually without ever paying a single buck.
No mech, weapon, equipment is locked behind a pay wall. You can get plenty of MechBays from CW and events. More than evough to have a respectable collection of Mechs.
You can even be competetive RIGHT NOW as many many good mechs are already purely C-Bill-available and the new ones are not "better" per definition, only "different", suiting another role, another play style.

This makes any and all whining about having to pay in MWO the same naive idiocy that is displayed in the video.

In the end, every whining is just a coverup for "I want ingenious engineering work and I want it FOR FREE or MAYBE for the price of an average McDonalds visit".

If I were part of a F2P company, I would rage-explode on a regular basis about that hypocracy and insulting demanding from "average players".

Edited by Paigan, 16 July 2015 - 02:38 AM.

#43 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:36 AM

View PostArmorine, on 15 July 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

I played planet side 2.... The grind was horrible! Mwo is so far ahead compared to that.

And WOT, WT...

I gave up my beautiful WT planes because the grind was a special kind of insanity. I still revisit every now and again and pilot low tier planes. Only a bajillion more matches and I might be able to get a jet!

#44 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:40 AM

View PostArmorine, on 15 July 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

I played planet side 2.... The grind was horrible! Mwo is so far ahead compared to that.

LOL, no, Planetside 2 grind was long if you were bad at the game, if you were decent or good at it, you were swimming in certs.

And, even if it was bad, Planetside 2, unlike MWO, has done something amazing to help that NPE along. So, there we are back to MWO being worse.

Planetside 2 grants you 100 certs up to lvl 15 for each Battle Rank you get. Then, lets not forget any of your own certs earned along the way. So, there you it. Planetside 2's grind is officially not at all. Of course, they did go and jack with all the gun prices, but still, 1500 certs to basically start id say is a good deal.

Now, if only PGI did something of the sort, I know they gave us 25 game cadet bonus, but 1500 certs is a MUCH bigger bonus then the Cadet bonus in MWO....

#45 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:22 AM

View PostSquirg, on 15 July 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

Alright, WoT one-upped us in scumbaggery, I stand corrected.

Nice to know you can rub two brain cells together and come up with a baseless ad hominem. Sure you can get everything you need in MWO without paying a cent, but I'm talking about the value of what you get versus what you pay for. Ignoring P2W and paywalls since it's not the point of the thread and I don't think they really apply to MWO anyway.

Baseless?!? I'm not the one that made the grand and bold statement that MWO F2P model is the worse ever.

Value is subjective.

What you think is a value is not what someone else thinks is a value.

How do you place value on everything you get for FREE?

#46 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:58 AM

View PostSquirg, on 15 July 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

Just ask yourself if any other game charged 500$ for a paint job.

There is no FTP game that compares to the greed in MWO's FTP model, and I'm and Steam monster than has played dozens and dozens of FTP games.

MWO's "premium" incentives aren't even that good.

PGI offered a paint job for $500
People then bought it, because they wanted it and they had the $500 to spend

If the market existed for it then why have PGI done a bad thing for supplying that market? If it's a totally cosmetic thing then surely you should be happy that someone just subsidised your game experience so heavily.

#47 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:26 AM

For a FTP game I have spent roughly $1600 and I regret not one penny! In fact, I'm gearing up to buy the IIC pack soon™. :ph34r:

#48 Tangelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:01 AM

I've enjoyed many FTP games and I honestly think MWO is fair. I'm not talking in terms of prices for certain things, certainly some can use a reduction but In terms of being able to compete at any level.

Most of the FTP games I've played the best of the best is pay only. Competing with the big boys or the big events depends on how much you have opened your wallet, and if you haven't you barely stand a chance regardless of your skill simply because the player that shelled out has much better crap than you. Unless you are willing to do the same you will always be at a severe disadvantage.

MWO is not like that. Sure there are "Hero's" and such that can only be acquired with real money, but they do not own the playing field by any means. You don't need to invest in MWO to be competitive no matter the level, you can do it with time and C-bill bought chassis' and many of them.

Their prices are a little expensive yes but they are luxuries, not necessities. PGI also has sales frequently too, and they are by no means bad. To say nothing of the fact that most challenges and events are pretty rewarding compared to other games.

I can't actually think of another FTP game that doesn't limit its players to what they are willing to spend.

#49 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

is it already extra credit time again?

#50 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:20 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 16 July 2015 - 02:11 AM, said:

$15K for the vehicles in a FREE to play game!?! WTF indeed!

Lest anyone forgets. MWO had a buy in at the start as well. I think the "Founders" all had to pay to get into this F2P game right? ;)

#51 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 16 July 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

Lest anyone forgets. MWO had a buy in at the start as well. I think the "Founders" all had to pay to get into this F2P game right? ;)

Had to pay to be a Founder, indeed good sir!

#52 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:26 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 16 July 2015 - 02:40 AM, said:

stuff

Now, if only PGI did something of the sort, I know they gave us 25 game cadet bonus, but 1500 certs is a MUCH bigger bonus then the Cadet bonus in MWO....

Now only if someone could do a true conversion of the value of a Cert in C-Bills. Then we could extrapolate what roughly 8 million C-Bills would be in Cert #'s. Until then it is all pure speculation and or personal bias...

View Postcdlord, on 16 July 2015 - 04:26 AM, said:

For a FTP game I have spent roughly $1600 and I regret not one penny! In fact, I'm gearing up to buy the IIC pack soon™. :ph34r:

Just to good to pass up really. I will wait until the bitter end so then I can say I resisted...some. LOL! ;)

Edited by Almond Brown, 16 July 2015 - 10:28 AM.

#53 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:33 AM

Give it a rest on the, "this game is to tough for F2P".

I was free to play for a very long time in this game and the thought never crossed my mind even once. Now I am not F2P and its no big deal except I am in a better looking mech then the F2P'ers, and this makes a ton of sense.

Anyway, all kidding aside, although I dont want to see cheap tactics in Mechwarrior Online, and there are none since nothing in game is off limits, I do want to see the game succeed so lets stop the calls for bankruptcy for this game. Thanks.

If a player wants 4 top quality mechs with all the best stuff buy a pack, if not play the game some and get one mech at a time fairly easily even.

Oh and I have tested the waters in other F2P games and they are static in their development, so piss off to the complainers in this game. Although again, it has to be mentioned the development of this game is also part of the equation

Edited by Johnny Z, 16 July 2015 - 10:41 AM.

#54 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:37 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 16 July 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

is it already extra credit time again?

What I would like to know are who is behind Extra Credits and, more importantly, why should I believe them?

Edited by Mystere, 16 July 2015 - 10:38 AM.

#55 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:40 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 15 July 2015 - 08:14 PM, said:

Lol 25 mechs? You mean like 5, the other 20 are just copy pasted to make the amount seem like alot more.....

Translation: Yeah, I just pulled that out of my arse.

#56 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:48 AM

MWO completely lacks any micro transactions and expects players to spend $7 minimum to be able to afford a pathetic amount of content.

Mech bays are pretty much the only thing that are somewhat reasonably priced, everything else costs way too much.

#57 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:50 AM

Im all for having Mechwarrior Online ask for 10$ after the tutorial or something along those lines.

The market is saturated bla bla bla, and players want to try before they buy, but having a small amount at the door of a next gen quality game may be a good idea.

Even 5$, or it could be alot more. Just to avoid trolls etc. This is the main reason night clubs do it.

Edited by Johnny Z, 16 July 2015 - 10:56 AM.

#58 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:15 AM

View PostMystere, on 16 July 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

What I would like to know are who is behind Extra Credits and, more importantly, why should I believe them?

They say stuff on the internet and make videos. That alone is enough to assume they are always correct on everything for a lot of people.

#59 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:22 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 16 July 2015 - 11:15 AM, said:

They say stuff on the internet and make videos. That alone is enough to assume they are always correct on everything for a lot of people.

I think their extra history series is also heavily funded on Patreon.

#60 Corduroy Rab

• PipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 41 posts
  • LocationI'm not giving my location to some machine.

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

View PostMystere, on 16 July 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

Mostly Extra Credits is James Portnow who is a games designer who writes the scripts and Daniel Floyd who is an animator and provides the narration.

As for your belief, doesn't matter to me. I would say that since they both work in the game industry their opinion is worth considering at the least.

After re-watching the video (saw it months ago originally) I am not sure their criticism is fully directed at the likes of MWO. It seems to me that is directed more at games that fully lock players out of content unless they pay or require payment to be played at the highest level - which seems to happen a lot in the mobile market, but also in MMOs (ArcheAge comes to mind just because i played it most recently but I am sure there are better examples).

I would say that were this video does have some have some legitimate criticism for MWO is that the content that is obtainable for a modest payment in the 5-10 range feels a bit weak. Overall all though I would say that MWO's implementation of ftp is on the good side of the spectrum but not as good as others.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users