River City Appreciation.

13 replies to this topic

#1 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:54 AM

Idk if this has been beat to death, but I figure if im gonna complain, I should also praise.

I like the direction they went with the new river city..
I REALLY appreciate the increase in scale for certain buildings , layout etc.

I am excited looking at the mini map as it "appears" there may be more areas that open up in the future?

IDK if adjustments have already been made, but I think aspects of the lighting etc could use some tweaking, but its a step in the right direction.

Planetside sure looked good at night..

Keep up the goodwork. .

Im sure there are small problems that I havent noticed, but like I said, the scale... Good job whomever had that Idea..

Cramped doesnt work NEARLY as well for this game as you might think..

Look how much people like tourmaline and crimson... there is a reason.

#2 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:01 AM

It's the best map in the game, hands down.

My only problem with River City is the spawn points and base locations. Like so many other MWO maps, it suffers because there's rarely any reason to take the fight away from the "old areas" of the map and into the lovely new areas of the map. My experience so far has been 90% fighting on the 4-line, 5-line and 6-line, with 10% fighting in the 2-line, 3-line, 7- line and 8-line.

It's a wonderful map and I wish the spawn points and base locations would encourage people to fight all over it. For Conquest in particular, the bases should be spread out a lot more.

EDIT: Yesterday, I had my first match where combat took place all over the space port and it was glorious. It felt like some MW2 or MW3 mission where we were actually fighting over a strategically important landmark (i.e. the space port) as opposed to some generic square. And I don't mean we were just fighting above the tunnel, the fighting actually took place all over the space port. One team was setting up snipers behind the most remote buildings and hangars. It was glorious.

Spoiler

Edited by Alistair Winter, 20 July 2015 - 06:06 AM.

#3 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:04 AM

Because the Citadel is still there..., people automatically still flock around it....

#4 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:11 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 20 July 2015 - 06:04 AM, said:

Because the Citadel is still there..., people automatically still flock around it....

Yeah, I predicted this as soon as we saw the first preview. They expanded the map in every direction with the Citadel as the center, which means the Citadel is still inevitably the focal point. Also, for some reason I will never comprehend, they made the B5-C5 area of the map out of bounds. This severely limits the tactical options on this map.

If the B5-C5 area of the map was accessible and the map was a big square, you could run Assault matches on the horizontal axis (e.g. one base on E2, the other base on E8), you could run Skirmish matches on the vertical axis (e.g. one team drops on B-line and the other team drops in the water on H-line) and you could run Conquest matches diagonally (e.g. one team drops near C3 and the other team drops near G8)

I don't know who made the call, but this map isn't even close to being used to its full potential.

#5 Dale Grible

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:11 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 20 July 2015 - 06:01 AM, said:

My only problem with River City is the spawn points and base locations. Like so many other MWO maps, it suffers because there's rarely any reason to take the fight away from the "old areas" of the map and into the lovely new areas of the map. My experience so far has been 90% fighting on the 4-line, 5-line and 6-line, with 10% fighting in the 2-line, 3-line, 7- line and 8-line.

It's a wonderful map and I wish the spawn points and base locations would encourage people to fight all over it. For Conquest in particular, the bases should be spread out a lot more.

EDIT: Yesterday, I had my first match where combat took place all over the space port and it was glorious. It felt like some MW2 or MW3 mission where we were actually fighting over a strategically important landmark (i.e. the space port) as opposed to some generic square. And I don't mean we were just fighting above the tunnel, the fighting actually took place all over the space port. One team was setting up snipers behind the most remote buildings and hangars. It was glorious.

Spoiler

What would be great is if base locations were randomly placed and object there would hafta be destroyed even if u annihlate the other team. Kinda like CW which I have never played

#6 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 20 July 2015 - 06:04 AM, said:

I try to steer every fight to old upper city. The fights invariably spill out all over the place from there, and are glorious. You can fight in upper proper, the rocks between upper and the water, the lower city bits near the broken ramp, the grassland behind it... It's fantastic.

The citadel is trite and passé. Ignore it! Seriously. Suggest upper city, every time, do it early.

I love this map. If the next re-dos are even half as good as River City, I'll be deliriously happy.

#7 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

I like the new River City, but I think the dynamic time of day changes too fast.

I'd like to move to that planet and get a job there, because the days are only 5 minutes long.

#8 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:31 AM

View PostLexx, on 20 July 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

I like the new River City, but I think the dynamic time of day changes too fast.

I'd like to move to that planet and get a job there, because the days are only 5 minutes long.

Agreed!

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:40 AM

I am having a blast with the Timbie-A LT (the negative laser duration quirk has no power over my CERPPCs), and Citadel is a great place to use it. Might as well milk it while it is still popular. ;)

#10 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:48 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 20 July 2015 - 06:01 AM, said:

Spoiler

Agree on all points.

New River City is my favorite map by far, from a (hopefully) little biased view, it is aesthetically great compared to the others, and there are tons of avenues for approach, room to maneuver, but still areas where you really need to know your surroundings or you'll get trapped in a corner. Very fun map. Make them all more like this. There are definitely some minor tweaks they can make, but overall, it's got the essence of what all the maps should have.

#11 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:54 AM

Its not just River City. Though it is vastly improved. I am noticing a graphic improvement on all maps.

View PostLexx, on 20 July 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

Doood I already work 7 days a week, I really don't wanna live on a world where I work 12 days an hour! Heck Monday through Friday id be working I'd be working 120 days per shift! :o

#12 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

I like the new River City, but in PUGville, old habits die hard. Many matches still focus around the Citadel. I'm wondering if they just shouldn't have made it a pile of bombed out rubble in the new map.

Still, maybe as more matches happen, people will find new places to go.

I have to admit that the added dock section next to the Citadel does seem to get some traffic.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 20 July 2015 - 12:24 PM.

#13 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

I love the map. The only problem with it, which is the same problem with almost any map, is there forces congregate. This is due in some part to familiarity. I think there's another factor though.

All three lances on each side are split up. The easiest and quickest path to coalesce is the center. Looking at the new RC map, that means the citadel is the closest feature to center. Why Center? For an assault in the lar lance, to be told to vector to the far lance is no mean feat. Say what you will, I have played assaults, pedal to the metal from the get go, and still never catch up to the main body and get picked away (or hole up against) flankers.

#14 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 20 July 2015 - 12:23 PM, said:

I like the new River City, but in PUGville, old habits die hard.

It's not just habits. It makes no strategic sense to fight in most of the new areas, because of the river, the Citadel and the spawn positions. Depending on which route the teams take, one of two things will happen.

Either both teams will reach the river at the same time, at one or several locations. The urban areas have more cover than the river, even with the new rocks and the new docks added. Crossing the river is always going to be more risky than moving through urban areas. In order to fight in the new areas of the map, this means one side will essentially have to pull back in order to let the other side cross the river and move through the urban areas on the other side. That's just tactically dumb.

The other possibility is that the two teams cross the river on opposite sides. This will typically result in a Nascar situation, as both teams try to chase each other's tail. Alternatively, one team will stop to defend their rear, and the other team will circle until there's a full engagement. The circling team is usually right next to the river, and again the river becomes a natural focal point. For a fight to happen in the new areas, one team would have to cross the river unopposed and then just keep moving forward untill they reach a new area, and then try to defend. It's not impossible, but... why give up the advantage of "overwatch" (For you Warhammer 40,000 / X-COM fans) on the river?

Fighting will only happen on the new areas if one or both teams decides to try something new, just for fun. Maybe it's completely different in 12v12, where teamspeak allows teams to coordinate more complex maneuvers. But in the steering wheel underhive, the river (and thus, the Citadel) is almost always the key. The fight may take place in Upper City or at the docks, but almost never further away from the river.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users