#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:52 AM

Mediums have come a long way from back in the Beta Day when they were the whipping boy class of MWO. No Lagshield to protect them, no Deathstar class weaponry to level the opposition with.

Just slow, fragile and under armed. And even then, I loved driving them.

Well, Mediums are still generally second class citizens, at least to Clan Heavies, which basically can do anything a Medium can do, but with Heavy Armor and up to Assault Class firepower. But Mediums tend to have higher agility, and be more versatile. I've been hooked on them since I first ran a Centurion in Closed Beta.

So what's your favorite Medium to drive?
And what's your favorite Medium for looks?

For me.... I'm a Hunchback guy. 4G(F) all the way. Love the looks, love the agility, and I love the simple brutality of my AC20. Whenever I need to perform better, I grab my lil Jackhammer and go.

Honorable mentions go to my Centurions, Novas and Vindicators.

For pure looks? Unless something changes in the next few hours til Patchmas? (I) Shadowcat is stunning. Simply stunning. But if counting just the mechs in game at the time of this writing? The Nova. Alex had to change it a lot to make it work for MWO, and yet he kept the feel stunningly well.

You?

#2 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:58 AM

Posted Image

Sure, Cents are nice and more or less my goto if I need to do trouble, but nothing beats running around in my X-5 or the other Cicadas.

#3 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:04 AM

In respective order:
  • Cicada (ECM one or the X-5)
  • Hunchback (Any hunchie, really)
  • Griffin (Mmmm, tasty SRMs)
  • Vindicator (Poptarts anyone?)
  • Yen Lo Wang (Boom)
  • Blackjack
Honorable mention to my Nova. And I guess the Stormcrow, though that always feels like cheating.

#4 Ancalagon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 502 posts
  • LocationThe Abyss at the edge of Terra

I've been around for a while, but never actually managed to get into mediums. I can't wait to try out the Shadowcat tomorrow though, those high hardpoints are going to be hilarious if used right. Not to mention how high it can jump too, and with ECM to boot!

#5 Alek Ituin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Yen-Lo-Wang.

That Mech will get you through hell and back, even if it's missing a few parts by the end. It's funny when people underestimate you because you've "only" got an AC/20 and 2x MLas... Until you facetank and solo kill 2 Stomrcrows, 1 Warhawk, and 3/4ths of a Timber Wolf in one match.

After that it's:

Lolcusts
Hunchies
AS7-D(F)

Edited by Alek Ituin, 21 July 2015 - 04:06 AM.

#6 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:07 AM

The 4G was my first 'mech and for a long time was my favorite. Nothing beats that AC20 sucker punch to the face and it only became more formidable once the quirks came a'knockin.

Though, now since the hit reg has been signifciantly improved, I've found my Cicada 2B to be incredibly effective. Those five MPLs pack a serious punch now I can actually hit things with them.

When it comes to look I'm strangely attracted to my Vindicators... never really found much use out of them, but I shoved a standard engine into it and found it much more enjoyable with it. :P

View Post627, on 21 July 2015 - 03:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

Sure, Cents are nice and more or less my goto if I need to do trouble, but nothing beats running around in my X-5 or the other Cicadas.

Sigh... the mechlab used to look a lot nicer in terms of its 3D view. Everything from the lighting to the more interesting perspective that looked up at the 'mech and gave it a sense of scale. :(

Posted Image

Edited by Dingo Red, 21 July 2015 - 04:07 AM.

#7 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:08 AM

The 55 ton quadruped Scorpion, of course.
Wait. We don't have it.
So, the 40 ton Vulcan. Oh wait, we don't have it either.

I like my Centurion, it's a darn shame it got beaten with the ugly-dynamic-hardpoint stick so hard.

#8 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:14 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 July 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

[...]
Well, Mediums are still generally second class citizens, at least to Clan Heavies, which basically can do anything a Medium can do, but with Heavy Armor and up to Assault Class firepower.
[...]

If I may, in all humbleness: objection!

Compare a SCR to a MDD, HBR or SMN.
Hardpoints, hardpoint positions, speed, hitboxes.
Sometime I even feel the SCR is better than the TBR. Little less weapons, litte MORE durable.

But to the point:

Until today:
To pilot: Stormcrow (yes, guilty, flame me, I deserve it ;) )
Looks: Stormcrow

As of today:
To pilot: SHADOW CAT :wub:
Looks: SHADOW CAT :wub:
No, seriously, I got pretty awesome results with a sneaky KFX with 2xLPL and SHC will be SO much better at it.
Also, looks.

Edited by Paigan, 21 July 2015 - 04:19 AM.

#9 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:14 AM

View PostAlek Ituin, on 21 July 2015 - 04:04 AM, said:

Yen-Lo-Wang.

That Mech will get you through hell and back, even if it's missing a few parts by the end. It's funny when people underestimate you because you've "only" got an AC/20 and 2x MLas... Until you facetank and solo kill 2 Stomrcrows, 1 Warhawk, and 3/4ths of a Timber Wolf in one match.

Yen Lo is an excellent Stormcrow hunter, in my opinion. It always feels like I can slice through them like butter in that mech, provided the AC20 is intact and loaded.

#10 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:16 AM

Man, that's a tough question.
I love my mediums...
But it i must find an answer, i'll say that my favorite is the Griffin. Great looks, variety of builds, plays great, excelent shield arms, no need for uber-quirks to shine (i'm looking at you wolvie...), even has a ECM variant that can roll with 4xASRM6s (probably my favorite weapon combination)... it just feels right.
Favorite for looks? It must be the Cent. Even if it's a bit bigger than it should, and it's arm has seen better days, it's still the sexiest mech around.

Honorable mention: the Cicada. I really love this mech, but don't be silly. It ain't a medium, it's a fat light.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:16 AM

im gonna have to say the ice ferret. its kind of invisible on the battlefield despite not having ecm. i figure people really dont give it much though. it can outrun pretty much any other clan mech. so far my favorite build is a simple but effective 5 erml build. its only real down side is its rather mediocre omnipod options.

number 2 would probibly be my doom crows. they suffer from 'every build is awesome' syndrome.

3 and 4 are probibly hunchies and griffons in no particular order.

since i love ballistic mechs im also eyeballing the enforcer, but im currently leveling 7 other mechs at the moment and only have 2 free mech bays, which are going to a couple more summoners. of those 9 am going to end up selling 5 of them and the resulting funds and mechbays should allow for the purchase of 3 enforcers (i always buy mechs in triplicate). not sure how it will rank.

#12 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:20 AM

BJ's i love BJ's.

#13 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:20 AM

Mediums are my fun mechs. The YLW is my top medium money maker - a hard hitting, tough beast.

#14 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:21 AM

Griffins followed by Novas.

Griffin has a sexy sound like i.e. Adders have, and Nova just has a nice cockpit, I feel welcome there.

#15 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

so far, Wolverines. Its a bit hide and seek, but best medium i see there.

#16 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

For a Dakka Lord like me, there is no substitute for WVR-6R. Sustained 14 DPS for a Medium mech? That's even more than the 4G and many of the Heavies. Of course, for lurming, there is the HBK-4J.

As for looks, I like Blackjacks.

Edited by El Bandito, 21 July 2015 - 04:24 AM.

#17 Erkki

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:24 AM

To pilot: Hunchback!
To look at: Griffin! (if only it were a bit smaller, but at least its thin from the side with the shield "wings")

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:26 AM

View PostAlek Ituin, on 21 July 2015 - 04:04 AM, said:

Yen-Lo-Wang.

After that it's:

Lolcusts
Hunchies
AS7-D(F)

YLW is a noble steed. When they removed the AH, I was probably in the first 5 to buy the YLW. It served me simply, and well for a long time. I flirted with Shadowhawks and such, but until a few months before Quirkageddon, it was my go to ride. I actually own it on both accounts. I started toying with my HBK a bit before the Quirks, and post quirks, am stuck on it. That said, depending on what happens with the rebalance, I could easily see myself riding my YLW again.

AC20 + 107kph = LOVE

View PostPaigan, on 21 July 2015 - 04:14 AM, said:

If I may, in all humbleness: objection!

Compare a SCR to a MDD, HBR or SMN.
Hardpoints, hardpoint positions, speed, hitboxes.
Sometime I even feel the SCR is better than the TBR. Little less weapons, litte MORE durable.

But to the point:

Until today:
To pilot: Stormcrow (yes, guilty, flame me, I deserve it ;) )
Looks: Stormcrow

As of today:
To pilot: SHADOW CAT :wub:
Looks: SHADOW CAT :wub:
No, seriously, I got pretty awesome results with a sneaky KFX with 2xLPL and SHC will be SO much better at it.
Also, looks.

So one broken Medium with broken animations and Hitboxes means that Mediums are on par with Heavies?

#19 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:26 AM

Accept no substitutions.

Posted Image

Though I will say, for my playstyle, the Grey Death was a pleasant surprise.
Posted Image

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:28 AM

View PostPiney, on 21 July 2015 - 04:20 AM, said:

Mediums are my fun mechs. The YLW is my top medium money maker - a hard hitting, tough beast.

Apparently the masses disagree with us on this "Centy needs rescale because it dies easy".

SMH. Learn to twist and use cover. Well run Centy still tougher than nails.

30 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users