What's Your Favorite Medium Mech?

118 replies to this topic

#81 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:22 AM

Griffin-- Sparky, for PPC poptarting goodness.

Blackjack-- BJ-1 for JJ and Gauss/AC20, or BJ-1X for speed and lasers.

The Stormcrow is pretty ridiculous, but I find myself wanting jumpjets in my mediums (how else can I jump over a Dire when one suddenly turns the corner in front of me?)

#82 zeta44

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

i'm terrible with mediums but if i had to say one favorite it would be enforcer (uziel isnt in MWO yet, favorite medium overall is the uziel)

#83 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,012 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

Well, Mediums are still generally second class citizens, at least to Clan Heavies, which basically can do anything a Medium can do, but with Heavy Armor and up to Assault Class firepower. But Mediums tend to have higher agility, and be more versatile. I've been hooked on them since I first ran a Centurion in Closed Beta.

Ha anything my TW can do the Stormcrow can do better

#84 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

Enforcer with Liao Design with any Dark green color(gorm for example) looks beast. But utility wise i like YLW the best. That mech makes the best memories. I remember a time in CW where i destroyed a DW, 2 HBR, Summoner, kitfox and maddog one after another while almost managed to kill a tbr as well. Got ripped to shreds by the end of it but i remember how they chased me one after another and all died before the next one could come to help lol.

#85 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

I think the one I consistently do well with is the Hunchback 4G, it's straightforward and not to complicated.

#86 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:42 PM

Favorite medium mech to play: Blackjack
The high mount points, combination of hardpoints, and responsiveness make these a joy to pilot. They are a little constrained on tonnage, but that is part of the appeal. This is a mech that can force players to make tough decisions, carving out everything that is not essential and scaling back engine, heatsinks, and armor.

Favorite medium appearance: Wolverine
Of the medium mechs I really like the heft, bulk, and mass of the Wolverine. It almost has an industrial look to it without sacrificing effectiveness. It is also does an excellent job of paying homage to the original Battletech Wolverine aesthetic. This and the Blackjack are the only two mechs that have warranted a camo scheme purchase.

Honorable Mention: Griffin
There is a lot about his mech I really like, the bubble head, the lean profile, unfortunate there is one aspect I just cannot get over, the asymmetrical shoulder plates. This may have pulled top honors with symmetric shoulders. The thing I find most confusing about the asymmetry is that it doesn’t change when the missile tube changes sides, meaning it was not added to represent a mechanical or structural purpose, it was put there for aesthetic purproses.

Edited by Agent 0 Fortune, 21 July 2015 - 12:46 PM.

#87 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 21 July 2015 - 11:27 AM, said:

Ha anything my TW can do the Stormcrow can do better

Jump?

#88 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

View PostDeimos Alpha, on 21 July 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

I think the one I consistently do well with is the Hunchback 4G, it's straightforward and not to complicated.

Just how I like 'em. :D

#89 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

Another sucker here for the Cicada, the light that thinks it's a medium.

They can be a lot of fun, even though with the current state of the game (HSR, meta, etc) they can be deathtraps. OK...maybe it's not all HSR's fault, it could be the pilot having some very bad days.

#90 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

Griffins (especially Sparky) & Wolverines

#91 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

My TOP3 IS medium mechs: (didn't play the Griffin & Wolverine or Clan meds yet)

1. Blackjack: My best performer of all meds. I like every single variant.
2. Cicada: I like my oversized Jenner :wub: 2A is my fav one.
3. Enforcer: My second best performer and my fav 50t mech.
99. Vindicator: Seriously, that mech needs help. All the help it can get! Not sure if I should pilot it or shoot it like a crippled horse.

#92 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:12 PM

View PostKristian Radoulov, on 21 July 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Posted Image

HEY..isn't that the robot that tried to kill just about everybody in Futurama?

Posted Image

#93 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:18 PM

As a primarily heavy mech pilot (my favorites are and have always been the Catapult, Mad Dog and Timber Wolf), I really like the appearance of many of the medium mechs, particularly IS.

In terms of gameplay I have done the best in my Shadow Hawks, and in Griffins (although have only a few drops in Griffins).

In terms of looks, I cannot choose only one....maybe the Griffin, with its big bubble-head. Howver, I love the looks of all of the following (in no special order): Shadwohawk, Shadowcat, Centurion, Hunchback, Nova, Kintaro, and have been drooling over the upcoming Hunchback iic.

I think that the Centurion is a fine example (one of the best!) of PGI's art staff taking a very plain looking mech, and making it appear truly elegant.

#94 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

View PostPaigan, on 21 July 2015 - 05:40 AM, said:

Ahhh... Bishop, come on, you insult yourself with that post. You're better than that :P.

My objection clearly only concearned clan mechs, which you implied yourself in your post:

If you can't refute it, bringing in IS mechs (which were clearly not the point in the objection) won't cut it.
For clans, it's 3(4) mediums vs. 5 heavies.
And there, mediums are definitely on par with heavies.

"On par" btw. meaning "having some advantages and some disadvantages that balance each other out" and NOT meaning "are everywhere superior".
Just to ... avoid further sarcastic shortcutting :P

since I specifically listed the Hunchback as my favorite to run in the same OP...methinks you are mistaken.

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 21 July 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:

Vanity =/= Inability to grasp the game.

Am i such a bad person to want my mech to look the best it can? Is it a crime to wish for it to look less like an American Football player?!

Posted Image

If you place it above fixing mechs that actually need fixing? That answer should be self apparent. Let's just say I would call choosing the Centy because "looks" as the "Kardashian Protocol" and leave it at that.

View Postcdlord, on 21 July 2015 - 06:55 AM, said:

Had me there for a second Bish.... I only choose my mechs based on aesthetics.

When it comes to the meta:
Posted Image

As for resize.... I did vote based on what I deem to be a big issue with mediums, their HUGE size..... The SHD (I think that's the one I voted for) is just so damn big....

........... Shadowhawk? RLY?!?!?!?!

*unfriends*

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 21 July 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

what kind of bs is it? unlike spider etc, stormcrow registers all the damage which hits it
if you cannot aim to get its ct instead of st or arm it's your personal problems

lol. Go sniff some more catnip

#95 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

Shadowcat. I still have to try it, but it's the Shadowcat.

#96 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

Shadowcat is seriously in the running for me too now. Holy crap. Doesn't pack much of a punch but holy crap! Holy crap!

#97 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

Hunchback 4G is my all time favorite medium. I have so much time logged into my founders hunch it hurts.

Favorite "looking" Medium. I love the look of the Shadowhawk. It's close to the original designs while still being it's own thing. That long AC5 barrel, the over all feel of the mech just feels good when piloting it.

#98 BigJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:28 PM

Favourite to play; Centy AH. '20. Three-fours. Fragile as fk but I love it so hard.

Looks wise? Would have been the Cicada until today. Now it's the Scat without a doubt, the thing is gorgeous.

#99 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:38 PM

Shadow Cat is my favorite medium 'mech so today I'm all like
Posted Image

#100 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

Mediums ARE my favorite mech, not one in particular. I have a few i do terrbly bad in it but the rest i love.

View Post627, on 21 July 2015 - 03:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

Sure, Cents are nice and more or less my goto if I need to do trouble, but nothing beats running around in my X-5 or the other Cicadas.

I have the very same camo on one of my AWS, same pattern/color lol.

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users