Founders Program Insights.....

59 replies to this topic

#1 Veevslav

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

Based on the information given with the founders stuff.....

Monthly fee for boost is $10.
Founders Mechs are valued at $15 each.

Things not listed for comparison that would be worth knowing and are a determining factor:

The in game currency that they speak of, are they speaking of cbills or will they have a different in game currency? Similaar to tanks credit and gold?

If it is Cbills it could be a major turn off since over in WOT the gold to credit ratio is a rape fest. 400 credits per each gold spent. Makes it 15250 gold per each t10 tank if you were to not bother with the cash grind. In this game it would be interesting to see how much value 80$ of in game currency actually holds. So please do tell is the $80 in a different currency than cbills?
For those curious it is 6388 for a t8 tank. 8913 for a t9. Kind of chafes a bit, doesnt it. Even if you were to sell the t8 and t9 you only get back 50% of the credits to put towards your next tank, but it still chafes.....

To anyone in beta responding please be careful not to break NDA.

#2 Broddr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Its been said time and time again that they have its own in-game currency. If I remember correctly it will be apart from C-bills in all ways, but regardless everything can still be bought with c-bills (so far that's what I've personally heard). That being said its just a way to get what you want sooner. Doesn't make you a better pilot. That can only come with experience. All weapons do that same damage no matter what Mech' its how you use them that makes the difference.

Edited by Broddr, 05 July 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#3 combatplayer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 137 posts
  • LocationMilkyway Galaxy

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

alone letting it be visible that they are in beta would break the NDA. =P

but none the less, i would think the ingame money you get is something other than Cbills, but can possibly be converted through some or other means.
on a side note, the worth of what i bought as a founder is pointless, since the value of supporting the team itself at this point makes it worth it.

#4 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

MC Bills are currency purchased with real money.

C-Bills are in game currency you earn playing the game.

I believe both can be used to purchase mechs and weapons.

Cheers.

#5 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Keep one thing in mind here gents. The Founder's Mechs are decidedly more valuable than other Mechs for one single reason: +25% C-Bill bonus. I can't tell how to rate that right now, but it's worth to keep that in mind when you make more educated guesses.

Edited by CCC Dober, 05 July 2012 - 09:35 AM.

#6 Veevslav

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostBroddr, on 05 July 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

Its been said time and time again that they have its own in-game currency. If I remember correctly it will be apart from C-bills in all ways, but regardless everything can still be bought with c-bills (so far that's what I've personally heard). That being said its just a way to get what you want sooner. Doesn't make you a better pilot. That can only come with experience. All weapons do that same damage no matter what Mech' its how you use them that makes the difference.

Said time and again but you are not certain if it is seperate from cbills or not. As to my concern it is a matter of whether I can use that $80 from in game to buy 8 more months of booster time.

View PostHelmer, on 05 July 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

MC Bills are currency purchased with real money.

C-Bills are in game currency you earn playing the game.

I believe both can be used to purchase mechs and weapons.

View PostCCC Dober, on 05 July 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

Keep one thing in mind here gents. The Founder's Mechs are decidedly more valuable than other Mechs for one single reason: +25% C-Bill bonus. I can't tell how to rate that right now, but it's worth to keep that in mind when you make more educated guesses.

That is assuming that they wont have cash shop mechs that do the same thing.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply, could you please find out if the currency will be able to purchase boost extensions please.

Edited by Veevslav, 05 July 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#7 Gamgee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationCanadia's Royal Reservation

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

I think the founders program is fine. Maybe they could have thrown in an extra 10$ in game for legendary, but otherwise fine.

#8 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

@Veevslav
That's not so much assuming but dealing with facts. The bonus has been confirmed only for the Founder's Mechs at this point.
You can assume that it's not a unique trait, but there are no facts or statements that support your assumption. You may compare it to that other game but it's questionable whether MW:O will go the same way. After all, the Founder's could have waited for the game to release and pick a Mech of their choice with that bonus. This would devaluate the original Founder's Mechs somewhat and may cause some bad vibes. So please allow me to remain skeptical in that regard, unless you have supporting evidence for your 'theory'?

#9 Daegog

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

I have been debating this as i see it as a pretty odd dilemma.

They banking on our love of Battletech/Mechwarrior to the extent where they feel they can sell 120$ "package" with very little information behind it. Ok you get 4 mechs, they all earn 25% more.

But there is so little other information to know the relative worth of the package. I cannot bring myself to buy a package on so little information cause this has "sucker" written all over it.

In particular the $ value of the ingame currency. Is 80$ a lot? is it relatively tiny? Whats more valuable a premium account or a founder mech?

I just feel that the way this sale is coming off with so little supporting information about ACTUAL game details is very suspect and a incredibly bad way to do business.

#10 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

One of the developer blogs mentioned that $80 worth of real money will get you 8-10 medium mechs. On average medium mechs cost something like 3.7m CB.

You're looking at $80 can get you something like 35 million CB. So apparently that means $1 is approximately 437,500 CB (let's call it 450k).

http://www.mechspecs...p?7-AS7-D-Atlas

Model: AS7-D
Cost: 9,626,000 C-bills

At 450,000 CB per $1 you're looking at $22 for an Atlas (the current most expensive mech).

Remember that you don't have to buy the whole thing with dollars as you will get a good chunk of CB just by playing the game.

Unlike WoT you are gonna keep every mech you buy unless you need a new slot or just dislike it overall. In WoT you grind through a tank line as you go through the tank tiers. You buy a tank, grind through it then sell it and buy the next model. You don't do there here. You buy a mech and you buy parts for it. Weapons might cost 200k each so you need to keep a good bit of cash on hand. Buying a better engine will probably cost a LOT of CB; in the table top the special armor (uses up less weight but more space on the mech its not better in every way.... using it is a trade off) or the extra light engine makes the mech cost almost double.

Good thing you don't need the XL engine OR the special weighted armor for the Atlas.... it's built with carrying all of its armor in mind!

Edited by Glythe, 05 July 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#11 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Let me emphasize this point.... buying the $60 package now gets you 1 founder mech (easily worth $15), $80 of in game money, 3 months of premium ($30).

When the game launches $60 is going to get you $60 worth of CB. The mech alone that you get for $60 is worth FAR more than the price of the elite package as it has a lifetime 25% CB bonus, and you get +1 mech slot in your garage (unkown at this time how much they cost).

If you did play WoT you recognize the need to own a few premium tanks to easily pay for what you want to play. Do yourself a favor and spend $60 on this game before it launches and you probably won't ever need to buy anything else for this game.... unless of course you want to buy the concept controller.

Edited by Glythe, 05 July 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#12 Brien

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostDaegog, on 05 July 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

I have been debating this as i see it as a pretty odd dilemma.

They banking on our love of Battletech/Mechwarrior to the extent where they feel they can sell 120$ "package" with very little information behind it. Ok you get 4 mechs, they all earn 25% more.

But there is so little other information to know the relative worth of the package. I cannot bring myself to buy a package on so little information cause this has "sucker" written all over it.

In particular the $ value of the ingame currency. Is 80$ a lot? is it relatively tiny? Whats more valuable a premium account or a founder mech?

I just feel that the way this sale is coming off with so little supporting information about ACTUAL game details is very suspect and a incredibly bad way to do business.

Devs broke down the actual worth of each pack and roughly the number and types of mechs $80 would buy, sorry I do not feel for searching for the post

#13 Veevslav

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

I love the assumptions that there wont be other cash mechs with cbill bonuses..... But who knows.

#14 BigJim

• 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Just a little context to all your miserable old git cynics out there to bear in mind... ( :ph34r:)

PGI aren't a "screwing money outta BT-fans" company, they're a game-dev company.
The FTP model is just the best way the money-men could see to make the game work, having already spent a bunch of money for the MW rights, something Russ said he'd been trying to do for yonks, probably longer than most of the cynics have been using computers.

No, I'm not schoolgirl-pigtails naive, not quite, but just please, let's leave the more rampant cynicism for another month at least, say, the 8th of August? :D

Ps: Not looking at anyone in this thread directly, but I throw that out to the world in general.

*EDIT* Btw I'm guessing there will be a sliding-scale of C-Bills to MC conversion rate, because I doubt they'd charge $22 for an Atlas, even including the air-freshener & complimentary mech-wash package that comes with it.

Edited by BigJim, 05 July 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#15 00seven

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

I started at the Veteran level then upgraded to the Elite, I think it's definitely worth it from a players perspective as you get a good return on what you put out. The extra bonus is the early support / validation to the dev team regarding their efforts. Forum traffic doesn't pay bills and I don't see any adverts or cross marketing going on, this is all for MWO. I wasn't sure about any Founders pack as I don't have extra money gushing out of my pockets for gaming, but I'm glad I ante'd up what I could.

The kids better hide their legos before I sell them on EBay to fund my Legendary level upgrade!! :D

#16 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

biggest thing to me is that you will have 1 mech in each weight class that has the c-bill boost. So you can keep the c-bill boost while still changing pace and role.

#17 Daegog

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

Some of you seem a bit touchy on this subject. Perhaps because you have already spent the 120 with unabashed optimism.

You have to admit, charging 120 dollars with such scarce information is bad business. Ok i get it.. a that amount of money buys X mechs instantly, but thats all i know? How fast could i earn a mech playing free only? Is the game actually even gonna be WORTH playing more then a hour or two? I am sure by now most of us have been epically disappointed at a new release only to find out it was utter rubbish (masters of orion 3 sticks in my head when i think of over hyped garbage).

The xp bonus for example, if you have this account can expect to earn xp 50% faster then someone without it. Is this really even important?

Does 120 guy earn "something" in 4 hours and free guy in 6 hours OR.. does 120 guy earn "something" 2 months and free guy in 3 months?

The mere fact that we have to say "something" instead of what exactly they could earn is rediculous btw. I think a lot of the 120 guys are just hoping for the best (as i supose is natural) and SOME perhaps didnt stop to demand more answers before making that kinda purchase.

If instead of rushing to buy these programs, people started harping for more information, i think the pool of concrete information would be more plentiful. YES i know its not yet complete.. but its a month till launch, MOST aspects of the game are under feature lock and will only be tweaked minorly, i think more information at this point is easily doable.

Caveat: if 120 bucks is a totally insignificant amount of money to you, please ignore this post.. and pretty please send me 120 dollars while your at it.

#18 Zynk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostGlythe, on 05 July 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

One of the developer blogs mentioned that $80 worth of real money will get you 8-10 medium mechs. On average medium mechs cost something like 3.7m CB.

You're looking at $80 can get you something like 35 million CB. So apparently that means $1 is approximately 437,500 CB (let's call it 450k).

http://www.mechspecs...p?7-AS7-D-Atlas

Model: AS7-D
Cost: 9,626,000 C-bills

At 450,000 CB per $1 you're looking at $22 for an Atlas (the current most expensive mech).

Remember that you don't have to buy the whole thing with dollars as you will get a good chunk of CB just by playing the game.

Unlike WoT you are gonna keep every mech you buy unless you need a new slot or just dislike it overall. In WoT you grind through a tank line as you go through the tank tiers. You buy a tank, grind through it then sell it and buy the next model. You don't do there here. You buy a mech and you buy parts for it. Weapons might cost 200k each so you need to keep a good bit of cash on hand. Buying a better engine will probably cost a LOT of CB; in the table top the special armor (uses up less weight but more space on the mech its not better in every way.... using it is a trade off) or the extra light engine makes the mech cost almost double.

Good thing you don't need the XL engine OR the special weighted armor for the Atlas.... it's built with carrying all of its armor in mind!

Not Atlas try Cataphract CTF-3D Cost 13,612,354 C-bills

#19 Mortimir

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

You can sh@t in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up faster.

It should be pretty clear at this point that the information available is the information available. It's either good enough for you or not. Sounds like it's the second category for you, so why not just come back when you can play for free?

#20 Wolfclaw

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,510 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSpring, Texas

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

View PostVeevslav, on 05 July 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

Based on the information given with the founders stuff.....

Monthly fee for boost is $10.
Founders Mechs are valued at $15 each.

Things not listed for comparison that would be worth knowing and are a determining factor:

The in game currency that they speak of, are they speaking of cbills or will they have a different in game currency? Similaar to tanks credit and gold?

If it is Cbills it could be a major turn off since over in WOT the gold to credit ratio is a rape fest. 400 credits per each gold spent. Makes it 15250 gold per each t10 tank if you were to not bother with the cash grind. In this game it would be interesting to see how much value 80$ of in game currency actually holds. So please do tell is the $80 in a different currency than cbills?
For those curious it is 6388 for a t8 tank. 8913 for a t9. Kind of chafes a bit, doesnt it. Even if you were to sell the t8 and t9 you only get back 50% of the credits to put towards your next tank, but it still chafes.....

To anyone in beta responding please be careful not to break NDA.

For the 1000th time, the founders package has nothing to do with in-game items. Its a collectors item for the fans of the series, the things you get are just a bonus.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users