14 replies to this topic

#1 Auxian

• PipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCanada,Terra

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

Title says it all, honestly it seems like the game's died a bit more and isn't really worth dealing with the buggy download, even though BT is one of my favorite lores. But anyway, is it worth getting again and playing?

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:28 PM

For me. Yes.

IGP is gone now, and the game has been improving very rapidly ever since.

There are more clan mechs, and IS mechs. Better maps. More maps. CW is gonna be improving as well. European servers are up. Oceanic ones coming soon. I honestly think it's definitely worth getting back into.

#3 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:30 PM

View PostAuxian, on 25 July 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

Title says it all, honestly it seems like the game's died a bit more and isn't really worth dealing with the buggy download, even though BT is one of my favorite lores. But anyway, is it worth getting again and playing?

Honestly, if you already quit once you will probably quit again. There are still significant nerfs and buffs to mech, new mechs and maps frequently have bugs, and the c-bill grind hasn't gotten easier.

That said, if you really just want to enjoy piloting a mech, the game looks good, new content is released regularly and you can always step away for a short break if you need to.

Happy hunting!

#4 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

Been back a month now, I am still enjoying it, leveling clan chassis and trying to complete personal challenges. New river city map is a big upgrade and the visual quality of the latest mechs is extremely satisfying. Grind is still there, but hey you can leave and come back as often as you want too.

#5 Pioantom

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts
  • Locationcolorado

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:58 PM

I would also say it's worth coming back. I started in closed beta and played for several months and then took a break. When I came back lrms were broken so I played about a month and quit again. I started playing again about 2 weeks ago, and have really been impressed by the state of the game. Heck I'm even thinking of joining a clan this time. I would say it's definitely worth checking out if you have been away for a while. That's just my 2 cents.

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:54 PM

View PostAuxian, on 25 July 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

That depends. Why did you leave? The posts above are full of good info, but I can't answer your question without knowing why you left.

#7 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

That said, it certainly hasn't "died a bit more" - populations are good, at least as good as they've ever been, and game development is proceeding extremely rapidly ever since IGP's exit.

VOIP, faction chat, UI overhauls, faction grouping, CW, new mechs, new maps, maps being redone (badly needed for some old maps, and the new versions are amazing), some destructible terrain.

A major balance pass is coming in August, which should be interesting.

#8 Auxian

• PipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCanada,Terra

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:03 PM

Honestly I left because a lot of community was toxic and because i spent most of my cbills just screwing around with builds, my computer was also trash. I suppose the fact that I don't have anyone to play with would also be a reason I left, it got pretty boring just pubbing every match and getting stomped by groups of premades.

#9 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:09 PM

View PostAuxian, on 25 July 2015 - 10:03 PM, said:

Honestly I left because a lot of community was toxic and because i spent most of my cbills just screwing around with builds, my computer was also trash. I suppose the fact that I don't have anyone to play with would also be a reason I left, it got pretty boring just pubbing every match and getting stomped by groups of premades.

1- Use smurfy
2- we have an LFG function
3- Groups have their own queues.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:13 AM

View PostAuxian, on 25 July 2015 - 10:03 PM, said:

The community seems pretty good, of course there is the occasional idiot (I will probably run into them about 1 game in 20) but if someone is causing trouble (e.g. bad language, excessive insults, team treason) just screenshot it, and submit a report to moderation@mowmercs.com

If you get board playing alone I suggest joining a unit so you have a consistent group to play with on comms.

There are now separate queues for solo players and groups, if you are dropping solo you will not be up against groups of any size, if you are dropping in a group you could be up against groups of any size but will not be up against solo players.
The exception is Community Warfare where ether team can be made up of solo players and a mix of groups of any size (e.g. an 11 person group and a single player as the 12th)

#11 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:54 AM

1.) [...] I left because a lot of community was toxic[...]
-- No, not realy. Maybe the community is still sometimes a bit flabbergasted by some development decisions but the forum is extremely new player friendly, there are plenty of nice helpful ppl around.
2.) [...] because i spent most of my cbills just screwing around with builds [...]
-- Like it was said earlyer. Use smurfys mechlab to screw around with loadouts and never sell anything you are loosing money.
3.) [...] my computer was also trash[....]
--So double congrats the performance has been increesed and you got a new puter.
4.) [...] I suppose the fact that I don't have anyone to play with would also be a reason I left, it got pretty boring just pubbing every match and getting stomped by groups of premades. [...]
-- There are now separated queues for singleplayer, small pickup groups and full 12man company drops.
Also the forum is full of recruitment threads from different Merc, House and Clan units. Pick one.

#12 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:20 AM

Or, if you have a headset, in-game comms work pretty well, although getting team mates to talk can really be hit or miss. Either way, welcome back! How long have you been away? As stated before there have been a lot of changes and updates recently, and there are more expected.

It looks like PGI has been spending considerable time red-working and enlarging the maps. River City is just the first one that we have, and it is beautiful! Give the game a shot, post any questions you have here.

Also, if you're not happy about in-gam comms and want to group up with random people, there are a lot of team speak servers out there. I am in favor of comstar.na, but whatever. It's a great way to meet and talk to players both during the drop and outside it.

#13 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:40 AM

I can't say if it is worth you coming back. I started some 6 months ago and still play pretty regularly, not as intensely now as when I started but that's the way of the world I think.

I have no hangover from "the old days" so, to me, it seems that PGI is pretty responsive, communicative and delivers on it's promises. The community is, in general, friendly and helpful (apart from me with my occasional loss-streak rages.

All in all, it's enough to keep me playing and I am looking forward to the future...

#14 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:40 AM

Everyone is much happier overall and the forums are not near as toxic as they have been at certain times in the past. IGP seems to have been the root cause of much of this, though PGI'S inexperience was too. Now I think they've gotten a good handle on things. Some big projects have been completed or are in progress.

#15 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:26 AM

Games were fast even if I only picked the EU server so that's a good thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users