To All New Atlas Players...

23 replies to this topic

#21 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:32 PM

It occurred to me that perhaps new players load up on LRMs because they are trying to fill up the 100 tons. Atlas is unique among mechs I've played in that it is actually difficult to build with the stock engine and hit your tonnage limit. LRMs might look attractive because they are heavy.

Because of the low number of hardpoints, try upgrading your engine to a 325 or 350! You will be more responsive as well as able to fit more heat sinks in the engine itself.

#22 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

No such thing as "frontline" mechs in MWO anymore. Any mech, will survive a maximum of 2 well placed alphas, or 1 if against multiple enemies. You tanked for a good 2 seconds, not worth it, especially in the solo queue where half the time your team STILL chickens out after you've made the push. You might charge in with an arm twisted towards them but a smart-ish enemy will avoid that arm and target a more vulnerable teammate of yours.

#23 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:36 PM

View Postloopala, on 26 July 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

yep for newbes these are great. now once you get a few fights under your belt some of this becomes player preference.

Specialty rules for the Boars Head

Do not buy a Boars Head until you learn how to twist.
Do not buy a Boars Head if you believe there no exception to the "No XL Atlas" rule
Do not buy a Boars Head till you can lock the throttle wide open and engage 2 or 3 targets on the run
Do not buy a Boars Head until you can read the min map
Do not buy a Boars Head if you can not pin the throttle and charge at the front of a push
Do not buy a Boars Head if you can not come to terms with your inner berserker and learn when to slip him loose

to me an atlas is a field superiority mech. Designed to dominate the field with it's ability to deal damage at all engagement ranges while taking damage that would kill other mechs. Atlas pilots are patient, watching for the moment to step up and turn the tide with overwhelming fire power or to plug the hole with large amount of armor while making the reds pay dearly for every point.

oh you will get focused fired down and die a lot when leveling an atlas (heck you die a lot when you have a mastered chassis under you) just make sure when you do go down, you were the most expensive mech they killed

and remember the only reason for reverse on most atlases is for parking in a mech bay

So, basically, it plays like a XL400 Wubshee minus some of the hillhumping???

Interesting...

#24 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 27 July 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

So, basically, it plays like a XL400 Wubshee minus some of the hillhumping???

Interesting...

so i have been told. i may have to take a look at doing BNCs this winter. the interesting thing about the BH is it has it's MPLs in it's arms for that extra aiming bit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users