The Knights of Stone

2 replies to this topic

#1 Baenlynn

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTaurus, Taurian Concordat

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

PLEASE NOTE: This topic is intended for chapter posts of the story 'Knights of Stone' which is going to be capital 'L' Long. It will end with the words 'The End' posted by me, somewhere in the next few months (depending on how much spare time I have). I would kindly ask that you refrain from posting in this thread. If you love/hate what you're reading please feel free to let me know what you think via PM or start another topic for the discussion of stories in this forum. I will likely move this someplace where the format can be more easily managed without these kinds of requests. But for now, Enjoy!

CHAPTER 1: LAST SCION OF FIRE

"Hewn in war by Suns and Stars
Left fallow by the Bull's last roar
The swords of peace still free of blood
Must be forgotten evermore

Forget the Sun and damn the Stars
As all defeats have come and gone
The Knights of Stone shall hold the sword
and wield it for the peace of none

For should the Golem's castle rise
then Suns and Stars come to this shore
and swords of peace shall reap the fields
and ashes dust the crown once more"

~The Knights of Stone: Myths and Legends of the Reunificaiton War, Taurus University Press 2937

New Samantha, Taurus, Hyades Cluster, August 4, 3048

New Samantha was stunning in the summer. Fingers of sunlight played over manicured lawns as clouds spun chaotically through a windswept sky. The steady quiet susurrus of the wind in the trees was the sum total of all sound across Calderon Gardens. Baenlynn stood, his long black hair blown to an unkempt frizz, just staring. Staring at the polished wooden box propped up on the table in front of him. All that remained of his father, all that remained of his family.

The Deist priest, a formality at these events, hadn't said a word in the 10 minutes since Baenlynn had arrived. Perhaps he was still waiting for the other mourners to show up, but there wouldn't be any. No matter the elbows he had bumped in his lifetime, no matter the people he had known, no matter what esteem he had been held in privately... publicly, Eric Shaugnessey had been marked from birth as a pariah, and his funeral like those of every Shaugnessey for the past five centuries would be small, private, and unremarked.

"Has there been some mix up?"
The priest's voice made Baenlynn jump, reflexively curling his hands into fists before relaxing once more. He shrugged. "From what I remember, Padre. This is pretty par for the course." He walked towards the closed casket, leaning on it heavily as he stared at the racing cloudscape. "I think we can dispense with the formalities, don't you?"
The priest took a deferential step to one side, gesturing at the coffin, "If you wish."
Baenlynn took a deep breath, even though he had always known that his father was mortal, even though he had known he would one day die, the suddenness of it had still left him reeling. Now the weight of the moment, the reality of his Father's passing, and its full and specific gravity was coming down on him right now: He, Baenlynn Shaugnessey, was now the last in a line of Shaugnesseys that was so long it touched Terra itself. But more important than all the history was that the man who had taught Baenlynn how to sail a windjammer, how to fence with a vibroblade, how to play the piano, was gone. He took a deep breath and tried again to gather his words as a bulwark against sadness welling up inside.

"My father was a good man." He spoke to the nonexistent crowd. "Not a popular man, not a man who did the convenient thing for the needs of the moment, but a man who did the right thing for the best reasons he knew, the best way he knew how." He looked down, unable to face the endless expanse of headstones ahead of him. "He deserved so much more than this, and I wish I knew how to give it to him."
Baenlynn felt the Deist Priest place a hand on his shoulder, it felt like an insult and one he wanted to shrug off. For a long time the priest sought to find the words, perhaps even to ask questions, but none were forthcoming. Until finally Baenlynn turned away and walked back to his car, the only one in sight. . .

The drive back to the city was uneventful, and the soundproofing of the car made the silence all the more deafening, the world outside seem further away. Baenlynn was still adrift, and still having to deal with all the necessities of a loved-one's passing, but all around him the galaxy spun on. People walked to and from work, couples sat at cafe tables, sharing lunches, children ran through parks splashing through fountains, and shoppers came and went from glass-fronted malls. Strangely, it was this normalcy, the crowd in which he normally loved to lose himself, which pushed his thoughts back towards work. The upcoming trade summit with House Davion on Diefenbaker. A domestically unpopular burden which now fell heavily (and solely) on Baenlynn's politically inexperienced shoulders. Ascending the steps into the ministry of trade building Baenlynn caught a glimpse of himself in a window, and he found himself self-consciously smoothing back his hair and massaging some of the life back into his cheeks. Anything to avoid looking as drawn and tired as he felt right now.

Petros Dupopolis, the minister of trade, was talking animatedly outside his office with a pair of council members when Baenlynn arrived, and true to his warm nature his expression did not waver, even when the other men inspected him with the unthinking and mild disdain he had grown accustomed to from other politicians. The three shared a collective chuckle at one of Dupopolis' jokes and their conversation was concluded, the minister then ushered Baenlynn inside his office.

"Baenlynn. So sorry you had to return so soon." Dupopolis said, shaking Baenlynn's hand. "How was the service?"
Baenlynn felt colour rushing to his face but he swallowed the barb, "Small." was all he said.
Dupopolis sat down heavily in the padded leather chair behind his ornate desk and sighed. "Without your father this just became a whole lot harder, you understand. The protector is firmly against this whole arrangement, and were it not for the specifics of the arrangement we'd have lost the Privy Council's support ages ago." Dupopolis leaned back absent-mindedly playing with a stylus. "Do you have any contacts at the University still?"
Baenlynn nodded. "Some. Sadly none in the Technical Institute. I may be able to talk to the Dean however."
Dupopolis nodded. "Without your father pushing the cultural side of things, we'll have to fall back on on the technological angle." He shrugged. "Perhaps that will make the Protector come around, although it's bound to make the Capellan ambassador unhappy."
Baenlynn didn't even react to the minister's last statement. "I'd think the Capellans would sieze any opportunity for us to alienate them a little bit. If they decide to invade the Concordat we can't count on Davion support any more than we can count on Liao support now if the reverse were true."

Dupopolis sighed, settling down even further into his chair. "That's not the biggest part of the problem however." Dupopolis picked a portable library from the mess of paperwork on his desk and handed it to Baenlynn, whose eyes promptly widened.
"Your father froze all his assets two days before he died. Not only does this put Concordat Freight at risk, it also puts the funding for the trade summit at risk as well."
Baenlynn rocketed to his feet, knocking his knees on the front of the trade Minister's desk. "What?"
Dupopolis looked at Baenlynn, confused "You didn't know? Your father had to promise to personally fund the conference to get both the Protector and Prince Davion to consent to the summit."
"But freeze his assets?"
Dupopolis nodded. "I didn't find out about it until this morning. A condition of your Father's will apparently."
Baenlynn frowned. "His will? You just said he froze his assets before he died."
"Yes. Apparently he updated his will."
"Did he say why?"
Dupopolis shook his head. "No. We were only informed this morning, and only by the Concordat Bank when the Summit funding did not appear."
Baenlynn shook his head, trying to wish away the nightmare which was fast becoming his political career. "Minister, I'll need to speak to the family lawyers as soon as possible. I will call as soon as I have something."
Dupopolis offered his hand and Baenlynn shook it. "Don't take too long, Baenlynn. The Davions are suspicious enough about the trade conference, and I'd like this situation resolved by the time they get wind of it."

As Baenlynn took the steps of the ministry of trade building two at a time he wondered what was so important that his father would risk the work of a lifetime and his family's business, and why so soon before his death? Had he known something? But if this was about the trade summit, why would he sabotage his own plans?

#2 Baenlynn

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

Isabella Dirac smiled warmly at Baenlynn as he strode into her spacious top-floor office. She was a tall woman, still radiant even as her blonde hair slowly turned silver with the advance of years. She had a reputation for being tough but fair in all her legal dealings and though it was an odd thing for one of the most-powerful lawyers in the Concordat to be finalising the estate of a client—something she could simply pass off to any clerk—as the head of the Concordat's largest shipping company Eric Shaugnessey could pay for the very best the Concordat had to offer in all things.
"Baenlynn." she pulled him into a hug. "I'm sorry I couldn't be there, but you understand."
"I do." He lied. Not be there? She was his godmother for Christ's sake! She'd given him his first car. For a time after his Mother had died she had even been Eric Shaugnessey's lover. But because of that damn taboo on his family, everyone friend and foe kept their distance at official moments.

Isabella gestured to a seat in front of her desk, a single sheet of glass, propped up by a quartet of steel tubes. "I suppose you're here for the reading of the will?"
Baenlynn nodded, steepling his fingers. "Why did my father change his will the day before he died?"
Isabella looked visibly stung, closing her eyes and leaning against her desk. "All he would say is that it was important."
"What was important?"
Isabella sighed. "He said something strange about a key made from fire."
Baenlynn's brow creased. "What?"
"He said you had to take the key of fire and find the others." The look on her face spoke volumes, she was unable to hide the concern she felt.
Baenlynn leaned forward. "Aunty Iz?" He said, using his childhood name for her "What aren't you telling me?"
Isabella pinched the bridge of her nose. "He gave me the key to his personal safety deposit box, and said I couldn't release your inheritance to you until you had used the key of fire." She sighed picking up a piece of printed paper. "Here, see for yourself." She passed Baenlynn the paper, hallmarks denoting his father's personal stationery and his signature signed in honest to gods pen down the bottom. Baenlynn read it like a man dying of thirst, desperate to understand his Father's motivations in the hours before his death.

'As of July 25th 3048, Earth Standard, I, Eric Shaugnessey, being of sound mind and body do hereby declare that upon my death my attorney is authorised to freeze any and all of my personal and business assets, including and not limited to those of Concordat Freight Proprietary Limited. They shall be released to my son, Baenlynn Shaugnessey, only when he has identified and opened what is locked by the key of fire. That is his true inheritance.'

It was a mess of words that made no sense, seeming to come not from a modern shipping magnate, but from some ancient landowner who still believed in Knights and Dragons. But it didn't end there, there was more.

'Baenlynn, I'm sorry I couldn't tell you more. I'm sorry I've put your political career in jeopardy, but please trust me when I say I had sound reasons. We were wrong to stop believing in. . . Oh god you have no idea how I wish I could tell you what! But you will have to discover for yourself. Please don't believe all the naysayers, Baenlynn. They are wrong. I saw the proof, right there around her neck, and now they know it too. We can't keep forgetting the past, Son. We have to open the floodgates and deal with the consequences otherwise we face a Galaxy far worse.'

He felt Isabella's hand on his wrist, beckoning him to look up. There were tears in her eyes and she leaned across the desk like a drowning woman, holding onto him: a confused lifeline in a world he no longer understood. "He knew he was going to die, Baenlynn."
Baenlynn shook his head, standing up. "No." His heart was hammering. "He had a heart attack."
Isabella looked away, grinding her teeth. "Do you know how many ways there are to fake a heart attack?"
He ran a hand through his hair, not wanting to hear it. Now not only was his father dead at just past sixty, he'd been murdered for some mystic trinket?
Isabella pounded away at his cognitive dissonance "I can think of eighteen off the top of my head, Baenlynn. Some of which have been with us for centuries." She stood and came around the desk, his breath was fast and shallow, he couldn't take it. But Isabella took his head in her hands, pressing her face to his. "Governments, even our own, have toxins that are nigh-untraceable, Baenlynn. Targeted viruses, sonic disruptors, arc rifle-"
"NO!" He screamed wrenching himself free of his Aunty Iz. He tripped over the chair and landed hard enough on his backside to send sparks of pain shooting down his legs.
The two of them, godmother and son, stood looking at each other for the longest time: Isabella unwilling to push him any further towards the awful truth, and Baenlynn, still trying to refuse the thing he had known deep in his stomach ever since he had heard the news a week ago. . . Eric Shaugnessey—a fit and healthy man of sixty-three with a leisurely lifestyle and the best of medical care and would have lived for another fifty years at least—had been murdered.

"What do I do?" His plea was like a raindrop in a thunderstorm.
Isabella knelt down, helping Baenlynn up to his knees and pulling him into another hug. "You unravel the mystery, B." She whispered in his ear. "Find his killer." She gave him a kiss on the cheek.

#3 Baenlynn

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

The sun was setting behind a screen of boiling clouds as Baenlynn wandered into the Concordat Bank. The bank was bathed everywhere in warm lighting from bedecked chandeliers which set off the fine, creamy marble, giving the sensation one was entombed in the plasma of some harmless lukewarm sun. Baenlynn ignored the handful of people waiting in lines or milling about, instead descending a staircase toward the vault room, he showed the safety deposit box keycard to the guard and was ushered inside a room bigger than his entire apartment, every wall covered with numbered drawers, every inch of usable space filled with rows of yet more safety deposit boxes.

The guard stood by, just out of sight, not obtrusive enough to see what Baenlynn was doing, but not so far away as to miss any nefarious intentions should he have any. Walking up to the row of boxes he identified his father's box '1302'. Pressing the card into the slot on the front of the box, there was a single shrill beep before the door opened and the interior tray slid out slowly. Inside was the strangest piece of jewellery Baenlynn had ever seen. Obviously expensive it was nevertheless plain and uninteresting. It was a necklace whose pendant was curious arrangement of sticks about the size of a business card. Hanging from the chain on a swivel was something resembling a malformed child of the letters 'F' and 'K'. It had an upright and two strokes like the letter 'F' but both started somewhere around the middle of the same side, reminiscent of a 'K', and angled upward.

Closing the Box, Baenlynn pocketed the pendant and returned the tray to the box, closing it up.
As he ascended the stairs Baenlynn could hardly contain his frustration. This was the key of fire? The thing his Father had died for? What on earth could it unlock?

"Mister Shaugnessey! Mister Shaugnessey!" Baenlynn turned, seeing a short balding man in round glasses practically running over to him, much unbecoming for any Concordat Bank employee let alone. . .
"Francis Slade, manager." He huffed, wiping a sweaty palm down the front of his suit jacket. "Excuse my impertinence-" He offered his had, and Baenlynn shook it. "But I just heard news of your company's predicament."
Baenlynn shook his head. "Not my company, mister Slade, not if I want to stay in politics anyway."
Slade waved away Baenlynn's correction. "Be that as it may, Concordat Freight has been a valued customer of the Concordat Bank for over a century now and the thought of its many thousands of employees being forced to go without pay. . ." he trailed off waiting for Baenlynn to finish his sentence for him, but he didn't take the bait.
"So what exactly do you want?"
"We-ell" Slade leant on the word, trying to gauge Baenlynn's reaction. "We'd like to extend a, uh line of credit to Concordat Freight until such time as your assets become, unfrozen." It was a question, but he hadn't framed it as such. Baenlynn knew exactly what Slade was after. . . an overdraft on the company accounts which Slade assumed would never be filled, giving the bank an excuse to seize his Family's assets. As a shark, Slade was about as subtle as a brick to the face. But Baenlynn smiled all the same just as he had his own bright idea.
"How about this Mister Slade." He tried to drape his arm around the little weasel but found himself having to lean as he walked with the manager toward the offices. "You start up a trust account for the company, and funnel any and all future payments to Concordat Freight into that." He could feel Slade shrink as he spoke. "Then we'll take out a loan," Slade straightened up. "to the value of last month's takings." He felt Slade shrink again. "That should cover any and all immediate expenses, don't you think?" Slade, slithered inexpertly out from Baenlynn's grip and turned to face him.
"An excellent suggestion Mister Shaughnessey." He offered his hand. "Shall I have the paperwork sent over to you?"
Baenlynn shook his head. "Please send it to miss Isabella Dirac. Until a new chairman is appointed she is the de-facto head of Concordat Freight. I will inform her of its impending arrival."

With that Baenlynn turned and left, still leaving a stunned Francis Slade holding out his sweaty hand wondering what exactly had happened.
Outside Baenlynn roared and moved to punch one of the bank's many stone columns, stopping just short of unleashing his rage, knowing that broken knuckles were far more likely than catharsis. Stunned customers looked at him as he walked hastily down the steps. "Snivelling little weasel." he said to himself, as he wrenched the car door open.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users