Should Not All Jj Mech's Be Capable Of The Same Mobility?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Slow and Decrepit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 525 posts
  • LocationBelen, the Mosquito Capital of NM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

More or less? I mean, there are how many classes of JJ? I would expect that the heavier you get, the harder time you would have changing directions, and or stopping in mid air, but you do have a much bigger JJ with many times the thrust of the smaller ones-right? And shouldn't they be able to move you sideways, front and back, instead of just up(again more or less)? I always thought that you could make someone miss a shot because you dodged it going sideways. I'm not talking about overall height, just the movement around in the air. Am I wrong (wouldn't be the first time)?

Edited by beleneagle, 26 July 2015 - 04:06 AM.

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:59 PM

JJs in the TT could move any direction without turning but the ones here just go forward.

Also people would rage if the Direwolf suddenly started dodging their shots.

#3 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

I wish we could mount larger class jump jets on smaller mechs.

Can you imagine what 8 tons of my Executioner's Class 1 Jump Jets could do for a medium mech?

#4 Slow and Decrepit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 525 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

View PostTastian, on 25 July 2015 - 07:13 PM, said:

I wish we could mount larger class jump jets on smaller mechs.

Can you imagine what 8 tons of my Executioner's Class 1 Jump Jets could do for a medium mech?

Can you say Rocket! :D Although it wouldn't look too good I'd bet.

Edited by beleneagle, 25 July 2015 - 07:22 PM.

#5 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

View PostElizander, on 25 July 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

JJs in the TT could move any direction without turning but the ones here just go forward.

Also people would rage if the Direwolf suddenly started dodging their shots.

No... they couldn't. Yes you could make a limited diagonal turn in flight but that's just to calculate jump distance due to the limitations of playing on a hex grid, the mech in fact just flies straight to the end point of the jump and then quickly adjusts its facing through conventional turning.

#6 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:19 PM

you're not wrong, but i take you missed the whole cataphract/highlander/victor poptart debacles.

We have what we have in the name of balance, even if it is overdone for most weight classes right now

#7 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

I hate when folks use real-world analogies to bolster an argument but for this one I'm going to break my rule... ;)

I never understood how anyone could rationalize a 20 to 100 ton mech with the aerodynamics of a cinder block could / should flit about like a humming bird on jump-jets that are not providing flight as much as it is lifting it's mass and suspending it for a short duration.

I got my limits when it comes to suspending belief in this quirky fantasy universe! :P

Edited by DaZur, 25 July 2015 - 10:07 PM.

#8 BigBucket

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 95 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

The different classes of jump jets are specific to each weight class. This way in table top a light mechs with 4 jump jets has the same mobility as an assault with 4 jump jets.

We don't have that in Mech Warrior: Online. Larger mechs jump "slower/lower" than lighter ones. This is done to help balance the weight classes so the game is not simply a race to 100 tons.

The same way we have hill climbing adjustment per weight class. A lights 60kph is "worth more" than an assaults 60kph. This is done for the sake of balance.

#9 Slow and Decrepit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 525 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:34 AM

Yes I was here for all the pop tarters. I'm NOT trying to start a argument at all. I was just thinking that I've either read or seen a medium or heavy fly across a battlefield sideways(to the mechs right) just off the ground by a few feet(I guess you could call it a hover jet). Is that lore? I never got into TT so all I know is from MW 2,3,4.

#10 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:50 AM

what annoys me it's that nowadays the best jumpers in the game it's not lights but mediums because class 5 jj weren't buffed

#11 GeistHrafn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMB, Canada

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:00 AM

Agreed. Seeing some heavies and mediums being able to out jump some lights is just wrong.

#12 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:42 AM

Jump distance and height should be entirely based on the number of jump jets mounted, not also based on how heavy the mech is. The heavier mechs already pay more tonnage for jump jets, so that part is already balanced.

#13 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:11 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 26 July 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

Jump distance and height should be entirely based on the number of jump jets mounted, not also based on how heavy the mech is. The heavier mechs already pay more tonnage for jump jets, so that part is already balanced.

This.
PGI is just needlessly overcomplicating it and then having problems dealing with it.

#14 Moment Killer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostDaZur, on 25 July 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

I hate when folks use real-world analogies to bolster an argument but for this one I'm going to break my rule...   ;)

I never understood how anyone could rationalize a 20 to 100 ton mech with the aerodynamics of a cinder block could / should flit about like a humming bird on jump-jets that are not providing flight as much as it is lifting it's mass and suspending it for a short duration.

I got my limits when it comes to suspending belief in this quirky fantasy universe!   :P
Future tech bro. Science advanced so much, we now change physics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users