Windows 10?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Taynak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

so now im hearing from friends that Windows 10 makes MWO explode essentially...

you guy want to go on steam... why not just start making a steamos client? that would solve the entire problem with windows 10 because steam works fine....

#2 KharnZor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

Windows 10 is not out yet. 29th of this month.
And no it wouldn't solve the problem with windows 10, just because the steam client works doesn't mean games will.

#3 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:21 PM

But it would then at least work on the platform that has a future.

#4 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

View Postzagibu, on 25 July 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

But it would then at least work on the platform that has a future.
People have been predicting the death of Microsoft Windows since frickin' OS/2.

Seriously, get over it already...

#5 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

Never jump on board a 1.0 release day one.

Just saying.

#6 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:40 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 25 July 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

I'm not predicting the death of Microsoft Windows. However, as a hardcore pc gaming platform, its days are numbered.

Edited by zagibu, 25 July 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#7 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:49 PM

View Postzagibu, on 25 July 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

I'm not predicting the death of Microsoft Windows. However, as a hardcore pc gaming platform, its days are numbered.

I wish it where, but I'm still not seeing signs of change.

Don't get me wrong. I'd be ecstatic if I could run all my AAA games on my Linux box with steam (pro tip: SteamOS is a Linux distro; and is basically just running the Linux steam client). My HTPC runs a very pared down Ubuntu Linux distro at the moment, with Steam installed to stream my steam games from my desktop. Sadly, while there are games with native Linux binaries, generally speaking AAA releases either never get or take a looooong time to get Linux ports.

#8 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

View PostTaynak, on 25 July 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

you guy want to go on steam... why not just start making a steamos client? that would solve the entire problem with windows 10 because steam works fine....

Many people on the forums have been running Windows 10 preview copies and stated the MWO works fine, so you need to get more details on what exploded. My guess would be a piece of legacy hardware that is lacking driver support, but as I said it's just a guess.

And porting over to steamOS isn't a solution. Windows has about a billion times the install base of steamOS currently so that is just a plain bad idea. Maybe if steamOS ever reaches to the level of 2nd most popular OS for steam, but until then it would be wasted effort.

I think you're far over estimating the success of the steamOS over the Windows lifespan. Unless you are using decades as the time scale for "days", but by that measure every product's days are numbered.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 25 July 2015 - 03:51 PM.

#9 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

The alternative being...?

Mac OS game releases are few and far between, as are Linux ones. Sure, there are a growing number of games that work under nix, but compared to Windows the number is vanishingly tiny. Every time I hear a comment like this it reminds me that the "year of linux on the desktop" is yet again just round the corner. Yeah, right, of course it is.

#10 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

I guess the Xbox One is dead with the Windows PC as a gaming platform because it's going to be cross device with Windows 10 pc's and can stream games across platforms.

#11 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

Except that definition makes any platform you're describing a niche market. the whole basis of windows success and why it'll be a hard sell for any platform not created by apple to supersede or replace it is it's versatility outside of gaming, allowing the family/work machine to also be the gaming platform

#12 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:33 PM

Well, nobody knows what the future brings, but Valve is a big player in the market, and they will do everything in their power to position Steam as the prime PC gaming platform. If you want to know more about it, here is a good article that gives an overview: http://www.engadget....13/valve-steam/

They are very smart and patient people. And their work might just pay off in the coming years.

#13 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

View PostMors Draco, on 25 July 2015 - 03:50 PM, said:

I guess the Xbox One is dead with the Windows PC as a gaming platform because it's going to be cross device with Windows 10 pc's and can stream games across platforms.

It's going to cross the streams?
That would be bad.
:P

#14 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:46 PM

Haven't played MWO in awhile, but decided to take it for a quick spin after seeing this thread.

Played a match on Windows 10 Build 10240 and...nothing exploded. Was actually a little disappointed. Explosions are fun.

#15 Bors Mistral

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:11 PM

You couldn't be further away from the truth. W10 and DX12 will bring a lot to PC gaming.

It's an OS MWO need to be ready and fully stable on, especially considering all the free upgrades that people with Win7 and 8 will take.

#16 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:25 PM

Steam has a good shot at moving in on the gaming PC market with SteamOS... if it can get developers on board and publishers with them. But Windows on the desktop market... especially commercial... is here to stay.

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:33 PM

View PostTaynak, on 25 July 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

Does SteamOS support the version of CryEngine MWO uses?

View PostDimento Graven, on 25 July 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Unfortunately, many die-hard Unix/Linux folks never did. My workplace is proof of that.

Edited by Mystere, 25 July 2015 - 06:33 PM.

#18 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:01 PM

Sorry if I read a bit more strident of tone in your initial reply than you actually intended.

You could be right, IF, PC's/laptops started coming, more readily, in alternate OS's.

So far MOST major vendors only supply Windows pre-installed, and if you wipe out their disk and install your own OS, you invalidate your PC's warranty.

Yes, a few major vendors will add *nix if you ask for it, but as a 'gaming platform'... It's mediocre at best.

If you believe Steam's OS will be the next gaming platform... Well, I'll wait and see on that. Again if you get the likes of Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. to start selling machines with it preinstalled, then you'd be a lot closer to being very correct.

As far as I know (and since I no longer buy PC's pre-built) no one is doing that (maybe Alienware, but they aren't quite 'major', yet) none of the big boys are doing it yet.

#19 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:28 AM

View PostMystere, on 25 July 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

Does SteamOS support the version of CryEngine MWO uses?

No, OpenGL renderer was added to a later version of CryEngine.

#20 Barfing Gopher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:48 AM

Ok, I've been beta testing win10 for a while on my gaming laptop, I'll be happy to check out the performance and compatibility for MWO and make a report if that would be something anyone cares about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users