Recently Returned

6 replies to this topic

#1 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:30 PM

Hello all

I have recently returned after a break and thought I might share my thoughts.

I stopped playing MWO just as VoIP was introduced (beginning 2015?)

The reason I stopped playing was of the lack of maps to play and things were getting repetitive. I had played CW, but the long wait times put me off.

Whilst I away I started reading the Battletech novels (in their chronological order) and it rekindled my interest in the game – I wanted to get back in game and show those Clanners that you cant just ********** for 300 years and then expect to come back and take over.

So I reinstall MWO, log into my IS account and fire up my YLW ready to dish out some IS justice. OK, so I didn’t jump into CW to dish out my IS justice, but you get the idea that reading the novels made me look forward to getting back in the cockpit.

The graphics look better than I remember – have they had a tweak in general?

Being able to knock things over is a nice addition (the clanging noise gets a bit annoying after a while)

River City looks good.

Has the power gap between Clans and IS Mechs opened up again? I ask as I also logged into my Clan account and found I was pretty much doubling the scores I was achieving on my IS account (except on my Stormcrows where I was worse and on my Atlas I was much better)

The new Mechs look good – MASC sounds so good

ECM everywhere – no matter where I stand Im under an ECM umbrella. Ive not been playing long but even I remember the times when ECM was a rarity.

The first two matches reminded me that I had forgotten to turn off VoIP – a pity as it can be so useful.

I was extremely disappointed to see no new maps – lots of new Mechs running around but on the same old maps

How about making and selling maps? Im happy to spend money on this game (prior to my break I had pretty much bought every IS and Clan pack and was even toying with buying a Goldie) but it has to be on something that provides longevity.

Im don’t know if CW has been granted new maps, but the one time I tried yesterday I just waited and waited and eventually got fed up and logged (I chose a planet that had lots many people in the queue – perhaps I did something wrong) – not a lot of point in having new maps in CW if I have to wait an age to get a CW game.

All that being said I have been enjoying myself immensely since I have returned and its nice to see that the game is being developed.

#2 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:38 PM

CW needs new MM. too long wait times.

#3 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:54 PM

As you noticed there have been made some additions to the game:

Mechs
ECM Mechs for IS and Clan
Maps (new maps on CW) reworked maps on Solo (River City - PGI is currently working on Forest Colony)
A few existing mechs have been reworked mostly on visuals.
Assault Mode no longer has turrets defending the base.
Rework made on the UI especially on the Mechlab (a new patch today with a few other changes on the UI regarding the "Select Mech" option)
European Server is now up and running.

While some cry out for new mechs, others cry out for new maps.
PGI is working well, although at a slow pace but it is going forward nonetheless.

Problem here is that there is still a lot to be done and every time PGI releases a mech it has to be reworked every single time, so, more time spent on it.

Good thing most Mechwarrior fans are patient people.

Edit - typo

Edited by FlipOver, 03 August 2015 - 11:55 PM.

#4 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:00 AM

Posted Image

#5 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:58 AM

Yeah there's a crapton of ECM now. They're supposed to be nerfing it to 90m umbrella soon.

#6 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:06 AM

I'd say a big part of the reason there's so much ecm currently is due to the SCat & AC getting released.

#7 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:31 AM

View PostTitannium, on 03 August 2015 - 11:38 PM, said:

CW needs new MM. too long wait times.

Oh man, it needs a lot more than just a new MM…

The reality (and biggest issue) is that CW and Standard Queue are competiting against each other for players - both strive off of a large population (I'd say CW moreso than Standard Queue). But CW doesn’t hold its own against standard queue; CW is slower, not as pug friendly, longer to find a match, and requires a longer time commitment.
CW needs to be reworked in a way so that phasing out Standard Queue makes sense, and the entire population can comfortably work towards something meaningful without being divided to such a huge degree.

It’s the biggest issue, because time and time again we hear PGI talking about how they don’t want to split the player base (this was even before CW was released), and now they’ve done just that with launching CW. Albeit it’s in Beta and has another phase to go through, but I’m skeptical it will be enough to draw the attention of enough players, and if it is, the fact still stands that we are stuck with a choice that will pose as a constant division between players.

The star map is nice though, but that’s about all the good I can say about CW at this time.

Edit: To stay on topic, not much has changed. Yes, River City got a rework, but that's all in terms of graphical improvements. A Forest Colony rework is due this month. So stay tuned for that. We got new mechlab in June, and new Mech Select today. Woo hoo!

VOIP could be good, and some people use it. I think there's a lot of listeners and not many talkers. I only hear ~ 1 or 2 people talking every next game or so. Usually it's nothing helpful and more just backseat drivers talking.

MASC is nice on the Executioner, but not so much on the Shadow Cat (in terms of speed boost). The accel/decel buffs are nice though. Although I can't say much about clans, I don't play them as often.

Flipover covers most of it.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 04 August 2015 - 08:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users