A Simple Voip Request

5 replies to this topic

#1 Cizjut

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

This is a simple suggestion on the use of VOIP, and shouldn't be hard to implement. When a teammate speaks, there's no icon over their heads to know who is broadcasting , only the name appears on our bottom HUD. It's hard to know who is asking for help and where he is. Just turn the blue/green arrow into a speaker icon and that's it, like Source game do.

Wanna go further into immersion? add a voice noise when speaking nearby an enemy ECM, making difficult to broadcast. That may be too much to ask, though, just throwing it out there.

#2 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts
  • LocationIn your base, eating your food!

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:56 AM

Not worth the time needed to make it happen.
All your team mate player needs to say is what grid he is on, and the mech he is in, and you can find him.
" I need help in A1, I'm in an Awesome!"
Problem solved.

#3 Cizjut

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:14 AM

"Not worth the time needed to-"

Stop.

Source engine from 2004 has it. Are you being serious?

It's not only for asking help you silly forum poster, it's to identify who is doing what. If everyone used VOIP, which they don't, and broadcast every simple move like you are suggesting would be annoying wouldn't it?

If your teammate says something like "im going in follow me" you will not be wondering if it's the assault in front of you talking or a random guy not even nearby. Right now, you need to press Q and see if the name of mEcHKillAhKerensKy232 is indeed the same guy that is talking.

This isn't "implement melee pls" this is a basic gameplay feat that makes everyone that i know wonder why it's not in. Just make the blue arrow switch to talking and that's it. It's the simplest visual cue that can exist, like pinging on RTS.

#4 boxbox

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:18 PM

I like this idea... Simple yet effective. Also please add lance VOIP key.
Thanks

#5 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:46 AM

It would be usefull if the map arrow of the teammate speaking in VOIP would light up or flash in a different color.

I'v read many sugestion that if Avatars were used, they too could appear when you voip. Also a good idea.

As for static during ECM voiping.. the sound is of a bad enough quality as it is, so not necessary. I can barely hear what is said over Voip half the time.. no need to make it worse.

I wish people used VOIP more often, and PUGs would actually do as they are told.. Maybe 12-man premades would not be so popular..

#6 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:11 AM

This should be done along with another change to markers:

1) Every friendly lance gets a color, your lance stays current color, but other two are split to 2 shades of blue.
2) When someone uses VOIP, an <insert_good_easly_visible_color_here> (white?) border (blinking perhaps?) appears around their marker.

View Postboxbox, on 28 July 2015 - 11:18 PM, said:

I like this idea... Simple yet effective. Also please add lance VOIP key.
Thanks

Won't do. Everyone in team A is in the same teamspeak channel. What you suggest would require to put them in 3 separate channels and set up team key as a whisper to channel_up (which contains 3 lance channels).
Too hrd o_0 especially since it would need to track changes done by company commander and move people around. receipe for distaster.

Edited by gloowa, 29 July 2015 - 03:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users