Sudden Fps Drop

3 replies to this topic

#1 FF Hobbes

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:11 PM

So for no apparent reason, my FPS just dropped last night to <10, even before launching into a match.

For troubleshooting- I've adjusted graphics settings from medium to low, with no change. I've done a complete reinstall of MWO and the NVidia drivers, both with no change. The FPS drop is present even in the home screen.
Specs are:
Windows 10 Home
Core i7-3610QM @2.3ghz
12 GB Ram
64 bit
Nvidia drivers are up to date.

Any thoughts?

Edited by FF Hobbes, 11 August 2015 - 04:11 PM.

#2 The Flaxen Yeti

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 21 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

Could be something like Chrome or Flash running in the background. I'm not sure if it still is the case, but the HUD uses flash too. Mainly Flash can use hardware video acceleration that can drop fps and chrome just sponges up tons of ram and other resources while it's collecting all that data from you... ;)

So if you are for instance watching youtube clips in a chrome browser window while playing and suddenly having a crappy run on River City I'd start with closing the browser and killing the exe's that will usually persist.

Other games are okay for your rig? I mean windows 10 and all, your card isn't stuck in idle? Switch to Windowed mode? Switch to Fullscreen? I dunno just tossing some things in the air.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,708 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:49 PM

To confirm, that is a laptop?

Can of compressed air, blow out the heatsinks (no, you can not upgrade to double HS). That should be done every month or so, dependent on location/conditions.

Set Power Options to High Performance (and connected to AC outlet).

Nvidia Power Management Mode - set to Maximun Performance.

#4 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

Also with windows 10 check to see whats running in the back ground, this could be whats chocking the cpu usage. Some people have had the issue with the Runtime Broker taking ~30%+ of their CPU. they found the fix by going to Settings -> System -> Notifications & actions and unselecting "Show me tips about Windows." It immediately fixed the processor usage when they disabled it,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users