Ecm Concept

11 replies to this topic

#1 Carbonchild

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:26 AM

I was wondering how running different grades of ECM could affect the game. Paying tonnage and slots for a more powerful and effective ECM system.

ECM I - 1ton. Only effects the 'mech with the ECM

ECM II - 3ton. 90 meter coverage. Effects the closest 4 'mechs (including host mech) within the 90meters.

ECM III - 6ton. 180 meter coverage. Effects the closest 8 'mechs (including host mech) within 180meters.

The idea is to stop a 1 ton investment on 1 mech from crippling an enemy team. This solution seems like an actual pay for what you get fix rather than the current thrift store ECM... Shoot, it was only 99 cents!

#2 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

No thanks. ECM right now is just too powerful. What they NEED to do is change ECM to how it worked in the lore. It never was supposed to affect LRM or S-SRM locks.

What it did do:

Prevent target data
Prevent detection of the 'Mech(s)
Prevent TAG, NARC, or ARTEMIS from providing bonus
That's it.

Yep.

It was lightweight, but it didn't do a whole lot. I wouldn't mind a 180m bubble if that's all it did.

Edited by Night Thastus, 29 July 2015 - 07:15 AM.

#3 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

No.

#4 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:58 AM

It would be nice to have a comprehensive list of ideas to solve the ECM problems. And perhaps a poll to see which the community thinks is the best solution.

My though on it are:

1. ECM passive mode only protects the carrier.
2. The ECM can be "fired" to create the Jesus bubble for a short period of time. This creates heat and has recharge and the Carrier looses the ECM protection so is targetable.

So you can have your stealth or stealth everyone else and be a target.

#5 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostNight Thastus, on 29 July 2015 - 07:13 AM, said:

No thanks. ECM right now is just too powerful. What they NEED to do is change ECM to how it worked in the lore. It never was supposed to affect LRM or S-SRM locks.

What it did do:

Prevent target data
That's it.

Yep.

It was lightweight, but it didn't do a whole lot. I wouldn't mind a 180m bubble if that's all it did.

Honestly, at 1.5t, the above effects are worthwhile. Preventing target data alone is a substantial advantage in a brawl. Removing the ECM cockblock on lock on weapons would help in balancing them, as it's hard to make good balancing moves while accounting for the (strong) possibility that those lock on weapons will in fact be completely useless at times/for entire matches.

#6 Carbonchild

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

I don't see why people are so hung up on lore and table top. The current model seems to be working fairly well minus the 6 ecm on one team. Right now any radicle change is going to totally adjust the battle field. And I'm not 100% sure it would be for the good of the game. With unorganized PUGS being the majority of the game play it would be almost impossible to implement the level of organized play need to counter the obvious strengths that come with not having ECM. From the get go parana has tried to follow the lore and mimic table top, if they have a differing system it might just boil down to the fact that it's just not any fun in this medium.

#7 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:28 AM

the only things that it should lose is the ability to target the carrier & its buddies.

the ecm gives the mech stealth armor ability to itself & it's team without the heat and the armor slots required for it, not to mention it wouldn't provide anything for it's own team.

if they are going to give it the stealth armor effects then the unit should have to pay for it in crits & heat along with messing up its own electronics.

outside of SA then the ecm should proved the basic protection as mentioned by HammerMaster.

but on the bright side(depending on which side you are on) only the IS has the SA tech.

#8 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:37 AM

What it did do:

Prevent target data
That's it.

Yep.

I agree. I'd like to see this for ECM.

And then make the necessary adjustments for LRMs and Streaks. I'd consider factors such as having more ripple fire patterns for missiles, longer cooldowns and so on.

#9 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

the Clan mechs LRM cool down are already almost twice as long as the Inner Sphere counter parts if anything make the IS missiles cool down match their clan counter parts.

#10 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:06 PM

View PostVinJade, on 29 July 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

the Clan mechs LRM cool down are already almost twice as long as the Inner Sphere counter parts if anything make the IS missiles cool down match their clan counter parts.

What in the world are you talking about?

LRM-5: 3.25s
C-LRM-5: 3.50s

LRM-10: 3.75s
C-LRM-10: 4.00s

LRM-15: 4.25s
C-LRM-15: 4.5s

LRM-20: 4.75s
C-LRM-20: 5.00s

So clan 'Mechs have a quarter of a second slower cooldown? Who cares? They weight tons less and take up less slots. Don't mind at all.

(Note that even at the worst case, the LRM-5, the increase in cooldown from IS to Clan is 7.69%. Honestly, who gives a f*ck.)

Edited by Night Thastus, 29 July 2015 - 02:07 PM.

#11 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:29 PM

What it did do:

Prevent target data
That's it.

Yep.

Its supposed to convert SSRM to normal SRM.
So yeah its supposed to affect SSRM but not block it.
Its not supposed to interfere with TAG either.

#12 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:44 PM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 30 July 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

Its supposed to convert SSRM to normal SRM.
So yeah its supposed to affect SSRM but not block it.
Its not supposed to interfere with TAG either.

Converting SSRM to SRM is done with Angel ECM, not Guardian/Clan ECM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users