Punish Clan Nkva And Clan Davion Weekend Event

77 replies to this topic

#61 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:12 PM

Props to everyone for making a better CW event than PGI has provided in the last 10 months.

#62 RjBass3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 635 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKansas City MO.

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 02 August 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

Props to everyone for making a better CW event than PGI has provided in the last 10 months.

Wish you coulda been there. Miss dropping with ya buddy.

#63 Kinski Orlawisch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:50 AM

Posted Image

#64 Suzumiya Haruhi no Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 413 posts
  • Locationjapan

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:44 PM

really funny pic

#65 Tasker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:26 AM

VERY FUNY PUGS

#66 Reitmeier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 955 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:01 AM

Nice thread like in the good days some months before.
Now I only need salty Roadbeer back from his cave and I would be happy

Edited by Reitmeier, 12 August 2015 - 08:41 AM.

#67 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:28 PM

View PostReitmeier, on 12 August 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

Nice thread like in the good days some months before.
Now I only need salty Roadbeer back from his cave and I would be happy

Roadbeer left because of "how former Marik leadership handled Clan Mortal Combat" or something along those lines.

By handled he must have meant how they couldn't actually beat us in combat and ended up having to eat their own words.

#68 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

My understanding is it was more of a Marik Civil War about actually wanting to fight Kurita/Clans or just stick with a Davion border skirmish but it was likely a mix of the two.

#69 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:20 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 14 August 2015 - 03:35 PM, said:

My understanding is it was more of a Marik Civil War about actually wanting to fight Kurita/Clans or just stick with a Davion border skirmish but it was likely a mix of the two.

That was always the most hypocritical part of it to me from Marik's perspective. Sure you guys would taunt us about fighting you instead of the clans, but where did Marik get off parroting that?

I don't think anyone failed to notice Marik was gobbling a fedcom planet from either side every night/every time they were bored and they never really slowed that down at any point either.

#70 Shiro Kell

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:29 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 30 July 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

They have commited a crime against House Kurita
by joining Davion and i dislike davion so much i alacarted crab and mauler to avoid the pooknight and wolfhournd

You do realise the Black Knight was designed and built by the Star League and the Wolfhound was commissioned by Katrina Steiner, built by TharHes Industries (on Tharkad and Hesperus in the Lyran Commonwealth) and first tested in combat by the Kell Hounds, a mercenary unit known for their fierce loyalty to House Steiner. If you are trying to avoid House Davion - YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

#71 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:30 PM

But hey guys don't forget Marik had the most planetary gains of any faction in Beta 1.

Playing the peace treaty card and then gobbling a bunch of undefended worlds for months on end was probably the single best underhanded meta-tactical decision any faction made in that entire phase.

#72 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

View PostScoops Kerensky, on 14 August 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

That was always the most hypocritical part of it to me from Marik's perspective. Sure you guys would taunt us about fighting you instead of the clans, but where did Marik get off parroting that?

I don't think anyone failed to notice Marik was gobbling a fedcom planet from either side every night/every time they were bored and they never really slowed that down at any point either.

Marik was always a pretty fractious group as far as I could tell. You had people who wanted to fight the Clans, people who wanted to make alliances with other IS factions and groups who only wanted to fight Davion and Steiner. So when they started to go a new direction things just seem to have fallen apart.

While they had a centralized *community* they never had centralized *leadership*. The result was that they were never able to effectively point all those resources (and at peak they had a crap ton of players that mobilized and grouped very well. You could make a 12man in moments any night on Marik TS. They excelled at mobilizing people, even from different units, getting them grouped and into matches).

Kurita and Davion both were (and are) very very good at staying on target. Even if there's a disagreement on how to handle things as a given rule both factions can be counted on to keep their focus on whatever the current target/objective is. If Kurita decides to attack a specific faction you can expect to see the bulk of Kurita (especially all its organized units) doing so.

Marik was never like that. A bunch of barbarian tribes, all doing their own thing.

Pretty true to lore, really.

#73 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 14 August 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

Marik was always a pretty fractious group as far as I could tell. You had people who wanted to fight the Clans, people who wanted to make alliances with other IS factions and groups who only wanted to fight Davion and Steiner. So when they started to go a new direction things just seem to have fallen apart.

While they had a centralized *community* they never had centralized *leadership*. The result was that they were never able to effectively point all those resources (and at peak they had a crap ton of players that mobilized and grouped very well. You could make a 12man in moments any night on Marik TS. They excelled at mobilizing people, even from different units, getting them grouped and into matches).

Kurita and Davion both were (and are) very very good at staying on target. Even if there's a disagreement on how to handle things as a given rule both factions can be counted on to keep their focus on whatever the current target/objective is. If Kurita decides to attack a specific faction you can expect to see the bulk of Kurita (especially all its organized units) doing so.

Marik was never like that. A bunch of barbarian tribes, all doing their own thing.

Pretty true to lore, really.

Well, it's art imitating life.. or was it the other way around...?

CW could actually be something people could actually emulate in reality (to a degree), but extreme boredom though ghost drops and other unresolved issues took its toll.

Oh well.

Edited by Deathlike, 14 August 2015 - 04:50 PM.

#74 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 14 August 2015 - 04:30 PM, said:

But hey guys don't forget Marik had the most planetary gains of any faction in Beta 1.

Playing the peace treaty card and then gobbling a bunch of undefended worlds for months on end was probably the single best underhanded meta-tactical decision any faction made in that entire phase.

Anyone who says Kurita didn't win Beta 1 is full of ****.

Kurita more or less went at it against EVERYONE - and was kicking ass. They had a brutal start with too low of a population against a CSJ packed full of comp tier teams and Davion flush with players who just liked taking Snake worlds, even with ghost drops. The original core Kurita units (Arkab, 9SD, NS off the top of my head but there was probably others) were absolutely balls out amazing at the core 'GIT GUD' concept. They got honed into a very effective asswhuppin' machine. When the 'you must be able to show where you fit on the autism spectrum to join' kids from NKVA showed up like a box of dynamite looking for instructions on how to explode Kurita was the best conceivable place for them to land. Strong direction and bleeding edge familiarity with the meta involved in winning against steep odds. Remember; Kurita worked out how to shut down competitive Clan teams back before the great Quirkening when Clan mechs (timbers and scrows especially) were significantly OP.

Kurita crushed Beta 1. No question. Jade Falcon won Beta 2; just pure amount of face wrecked. Not because of the vagaries of merc populations or anything else, just consistently showing up and winning on pretty much every front IS and Clan.

Poorly managed events created by PGI are not and should never be considered the basis of 'winning'. Winning isn't getting lucky in 1 coin toss or having the odds skewed heavily in your favor for a weekend. It's something you do consistently for a long stretch of time.

Edited by MischiefSC, 14 August 2015 - 04:49 PM.

#75 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

I never said Marik won, lol. Kurita definitely wrecked face in Beta 1. I spent the latter half of it wearing ye olde Clan Dargon emblem myself. Marik just walked away with the largest gains at the end of the day (I can't remember if this was net or gross).

For what was very likely the absolute weakest combat faction in the entire game to walk away with that kind of planet count is just astonishing to me. It's impressive in a way. It would probably be more impressive if the whole thing was Marik's plan from the beginning, but it's honestly more likely that the people in Marik making peace treaties and the people in Marik eating undefended worlds just really didn't give a **** what the other had to say.

Correction: On further reflection, I recall many of the people taking undefended planets were the same people who were negotiating peace treaties in the first place. So really, yes, Marik was easily the most underhanded, duplicitous, and arguably most efficient (in terms of planets gained per actual decent pilot) faction in all of Beta 1. That they were able to convince so many people to just give planets away to them for so long is positively baffling, and I can only applaud them for it (and shake my head at all the other factions who let them get away with it).

Edited by Vlad Ward, 14 August 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#76 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 14 August 2015 - 05:16 PM, said:

I never said Marik won, lol. Kurita definitely wrecked face in Beta 1. I spent the latter half of it wearing ye olde Clan Dargon emblem myself. Marik just walked away with the largest gains at the end of the day (I can't remember if this was net or gross).

For what was very likely the absolute weakest combat faction in the entire game to walk away with that kind of planet count is just astonishing to me. It's impressive in a way. It would probably be more impressive if the whole thing was Marik's plan from the beginning, but it's honestly more likely that the people in Marik making peace treaties and the people in Marik eating undefended worlds just really didn't give a **** what the other had to say.

Correction: On further reflection, I recall many of the people taking undefended planets were the same people who were negotiating peace treaties in the first place. So really, yes, Marik was easily the most underhanded, duplicitous, and arguably most efficient (in terms of planets gained per actual decent pilot) faction in all of Beta 1. That they were able to convince so many people to just give planets away to them for so long is positively baffling, and I can only applaud them for it (and shake my head at all the other factions who let them get away with it).

Nah, was different people. It was also ghost drops - we made it clear to them, repeatedly, that we were fighting on the Kurita front and that they could too. Some of them did but a particular subsect of Marik would literally ghost-drop for hours on Davion worlds. Every single night.

It wasn't an original idea, just a facet of Marik having so many different groups. They had one very dedicated ghost-drop group who would ghost-drop Steiner and Davion both, for hours.

Fortunately they didn't represent Marik as a whole. Plenty of people in Marik wanted to fight and play; they just had this dedicated little group who didn't want to fight any real challenges. Be that Clans or Kurita or even Davion; they wanted pugs and ghost drops. They'd hop fronts as needed to get it and they'd do it every night.

Don't mistake that for who Marik was overall. They had some great teams - they just moved on to FRR and such when the Marik Civil War happened.

#77 Reitmeier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 955 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:06 AM

So sorry that they disappeared all. Maybe I played this Yu-gi-oh card too often ^^

Posted Image

Edited by Reitmeier, 15 August 2015 - 04:07 AM.

#78 An Anime Princess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:53 PM

don't forget Marik

lmao

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users