Arctic Cheetah - When A Firestarter And Spider Make A Clan Baby...

BattleMechs Balance Gameplay

34 replies to this topic

#21 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 July 2015 - 12:11 PM, said:

Back when Wave 3 was announced, there was rampant speculation about how this Light would be the Clan Light to end all Clan Lights.

It's so true that it did even more.... at 30 tons.

Without spoiling the premise too much, but I've had too much fun in this mech... probably more than I have with a Firestarter... which can only mean one thing... something is going to have to give in the near future.

Stopped reading right there.

You are correct.

Posted Image

#22 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:39 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 30 July 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

Not the only one. I know a few who like the slight increase in heat efficiency, but I prefer the shorter burn duration. The ERSLas are pretty good against bigger mechs, but that burn duration is felt against lights. All the wub!

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 30 July 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

I initially ran mine with 6ERSL, but switched over to 6CSPL. The heat gen ends up being ~equal after heat gen quirks for pulses, even when missing the 3 extra heatsinks. Heat dissipation with the CSPL takes a little longer (as expected), but the extra 6 damage/volley often meant coring someone out in 2 alphas, as opposed to 3.

Well, I've already gone and committed to small lasers now with both modules so I'm going to rationalize away!
- I don't want to rely on quirks, there's a good chance they will change
- Hot maps were absolute murder without those heatsinks gained from the downgrade. I don't like crossing my fingers for a favorable map.
- Burn time is a good point, but its a fraction of a second I can live with.
- 6 extra points of damage on an already good alpha isn't enough to counterbalance all that for me. If i'm in a situation where SPL are distinctly better than ERSL than I have got myself into a situation I don't want to be in and have nobody to blame but myself.
- Avoiding the meta! Makes me feel just a slight bit less dirty in my 30 ton clan godmech.

#23 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:56 PM

I agree on the analysis.

I don't think the ACH is very fun. It has it too good in too many areas to make it really interesting - just like the firestarter.

Good armor, good hitboxes/size, good mobility, good firepower, good heat management. Where's the vulnerability? Sure I'll hop in one now and then to tear stuff up, and it's not like every game is going to be a stompfest, but it just doesn't have the excitement factor. Run a Commando, or a Jenner, or one of the other older, weaker mechs, and it's a blast, because you know you're on a razor's edge half the time.

#24 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

View PostFate 6, on 30 July 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

Except you didn't mention that CSPL is much shorter range than the FS9-S. Sure, if you're point blank the ACH is pretty comparable, but at 350-400m the FS9-S blows this thing out of the water in damage output. "Closing the distance" is not a viable strategy unless you are going all-in with backup or killing a lone mech 1v1. High mounts are nice but they don't make up for that, especially since they're actually so high that you expose half your torso by the time your cockpit is over a hill.

ACH is a great mech but if you want firepower you're gonna stay with an FS9-S or Raven. The ACH gives you an ECM but any light pilot knows ECM really doesn't do anything more for you than Radar Derp (and that's doubly true of ECM gets nerfed to 90m bubble)

Effectively what the ACH gives group players is the option to sacrifice range for ECM to run in a light pack of 2xFS9-S 1xACH.

Can just switch the ACH to 4x CERMLAS for range, at which point it outranges most competitive pokey lights that aren't Ravens.

Alternatively, you could also run that with 3x CMPLs + ECM, but I think the 4x CERMLAS is better than that.

The SPL quirks are good, but they aren't so huge that the mech is completely beholden to them.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 30 July 2015 - 08:47 PM.

#25 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,765 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:53 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 30 July 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

Alternatively, you could also run that with 3x CMPLs + ECM, but I think the 4x CERMLAS is better than that.

Or you could mount both C side torsos and go 4 MPLs, 32 point alpha at twice the range of the 7 SPL build and around the same heat profile.

Those C torsos are amazing for going full on wub.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 30 July 2015 - 08:53 PM.

#26 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:23 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 30 July 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

I initially ran mine with 6ERSL, but switched over to 6CSPL. The heat gen ends up being ~equal after heat gen quirks for pulses, even when missing the 3 extra heatsinks. Heat dissipation with the CSPL takes a little longer (as expected), but the extra 6 damage/volley often meant coring someone out in 2 alphas, as opposed to 3.

My main issue was the burn time. The way I see it, 11 DHS or 14 DHS (of which 9 are true 2.0) your cooling is **** so best to maximize "burst damage" since "sustained DPS" isn't gonna happen.

#27 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:09 PM

As a light-jock with several hundred thousand xp on my Spiders (mostly on the 5K lol) moving into the cheetah was pretty brutal.... for the OpFor. Haven't even mastered them yet and the AHC's are so far and away more powerful than all clan and most IS lights. Even with only 7~ tons of pod (I refuse to shave light mech armor for guns, even half a ton is life) it's SPL for days. I've tried re-creating the glory of the "Craven" for trolls by craming in 2 cssrm2 and an pile of assorted lasers, but the crutch days are over for sure. Hitreg is improved much in the last few years.

#28 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:40 PM

These AC are slightly less worse then Firestarters. I seriously pumped enough AC/20 in them with only a slight reg. They're very hard it can sustain a huge amount of firepower.

I do notice since the hitreg they're more vunerable but then again i have pumped enough firepower and makes me think why the armor flashed and that's all for a 20 point of damage weapon...

Edited by Sarlic, 30 July 2015 - 10:40 PM.

#29 Kwerdoom

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:32 AM

I cant understand why people think having OP mechs is fun in any way. It takes variety and challenge down. Each to their own, but for me its so sad they came with another FOTM mech that make most of it class useless and make the game unfun

#30 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:45 AM

View PostKwerdoom, on 31 July 2015 - 12:32 AM, said:

I cant understand why people think having OP mechs is fun in any way. It takes variety and challenge down. Each to their own, but for me its so sad they came with another FOTM mech that make most of it class useless and make the game unfun

I doubt there will ever be a time when a light 'mech is "OP" in this game.

#31 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:48 AM

View PostKain Demos, on 31 July 2015 - 12:45 AM, said:

I doubt there will ever be a time when a light 'mech is "OP" in this game.

op light can make other lights obsolete

#32 Kwerdoom

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:53 AM

Among its class, the Cheeta is clearly OP by miles. In general, id say it is OP as well if the mechwarrior knows his job.

#33 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:37 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 30 July 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

It's true. I was one of them. 4 SPlas MLX or bust. Need no ECM, just patience, good timing, and abuse of the metric crapton of jumpjets. Going from that to the ACH, which went faster, was more durable, had ECM, and had two more SPLas? Quite honestly, it felt like I was training with weights on for the longest time, removed them, and suddenly everything was so easy!

Unfortunately, the kinds of things the Mist Lynx suffered from was actually every possible negative reason why it was terrible.

It's pretty much why it's already been obsoleted by the Arctic Cheetah.

Essentially, the Mist Lynx is the posterchild for "why bad mechs never get taken seriously".

It's one thing to ask for "easy mode"... it's another to ask for a bad mech to be addressed seriously due to massive deficiencies. The Mist Lynx is currently part of the "planned obsolescence" and it shows.

#34 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:35 AM

Pay-To-Win. The Arctic Cheater will be nerfed soon after it is released for C-Bills....

#35 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:19 AM

Firestarter & Spider make a baby, baby inherits crutch hitboxes, A new damage sponge is born.
Congrats Clanners, you finally got yer broken damage sponge crutch light.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users