32 replies to this topic

#1 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, Massachusetts USA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

So I dunno much about Clanner politics but since Clan Wolf pretty much has Terra and the surrounding territory, does that mean that it is ilClan? Would the Falcons, Jaguars, and Bears accept Clan Wolf as the ilClan?

#2 jeirhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

#3 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:56 AM

edit: On a less serious/funny note: Mercenarys went to Clan Wolf side I presume? Like -MS-?

edit²: Not a critic huh? Don't misunderstand my words. But the victory of Clan Wolf could be explained in part by that quiaff?

Edited by KuroNyra, 05 July 2015 - 01:06 AM.

#4 Czarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 414 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:14 AM

It should be a victory with an asterisk

* Won terra only because had massive help from merc units

#5 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:22 AM

View Postjeirhart, on 04 July 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

THANKS!

#6 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:29 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 05 July 2015 - 12:56 AM, said:

edit: On a less serious/funny note: Mercenarys went to Clan Wolf side I presume? Like -MS-?

edit²: Not a critic huh? Don't misunderstand my words. But the victory of Clan Wolf could be explained in part by that quiaff?

I see, so who are warden and who are crusader or has Clan Wolf not reached that point yet? Are crusaders guarding Terra from the IS or are the wardens guarding Terra from the clans right now? Or is it a cluster-duck?

#7 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:10 AM

Once Clan factions are made Clan Loyalist and Clan Independent, you know that Daggerstar icon you could select just before Clans were released. Clans in lore abhor Mercenaries. They fight for the opposite of what a Clan Warrior does. Maybe if Clan Warriors were only Clan in CW... Though because PGI does not want to upset some paying customers who want to use both chassis types in CW, we will never see it like that. Mercs will always be able to join what ever faction they want. At least soon they will be at the whim of the Loyalists as to where they can actually attack.

#8 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:38 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 05 July 2015 - 05:10 AM, said:

Once Clan factions are made Clan Loyalist and Clan Independent, you know that Daggerstar icon you could select just before Clans were released. Clans in lore abhor Mercenaries. They fight for the opposite of what a Clan Warrior does. Maybe if Clan Warriors were only Clan in CW... Though because PGI does not want to upset some paying customers who want to use both chassis types in CW, we will never see it like that. Mercs will always be able to join what ever faction they want. At least soon they will be at the whim of the Loyalists as to where they can actually attack.

I see. I am glad that PGI is taking steps to at least let the loyalists direct their attacks rather than let them go on their own ***** program and mess up treaties, ceasefires, etc and disrupting the entire theater. As mercs, they are hired. They do the job and we cut them a check. No job, no money.

#9 Knightcrawler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 05 July 2015 - 05:10 AM, said:

Coffi, love ya man, but Clan Wolf was the last clan to hire a large merc unit. CGB (even CGBI specifically) hired MS and CI long before we did. But we totally agree with everyone else that without their help, we wouldn't be where we are now.

Edited by Knightcrawler, 05 July 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#10 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:35 AM

View PostKnightcrawler, on 05 July 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

Coffi, love ya man, but Clan Wolf was the last clan to hire a large merc unit. CGB (even CGBI specifically) hired MS and CI long before we did. But we totally agree with everyone else that without their help, we wouldn't be where we are now.

Just like any other clan...
Without mercs, Clans literaly have no chance

Edited by KuroNyra, 06 July 2015 - 01:36 AM.

#11 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:45 AM

Knightcrawler we did not hire mercs. The closest that happened is a couple of our higher ranked officers at the time that knew a lot of MS, and dropped with them apparently asked them to help distract you. They had no command from the Ourse Keshik and operated on their own terms and then after left to join Mercstar after. None of the other star colonels or Galaxy Commander was informed or asked. I do not count that as CGBI hiring them.

I personally would rather be stuck on the starter worlds than need help from mercenaries. A joke on the CGBI forums atm is that pgi is doing very well lore wise. Most Clansmen dislike the mercenary units. I have friends in various Merc units, good guys but I really wish they would all just stay inner sphere like they are canonically to be.

They choose to be mercs, and mercs are inner sphere, they should only be allowed inner sphere contracts and Mech chassis in community warfare. Instead those groups that were close to pgi cried that they should be allowed to play both their Clan and inner sphere. Pgi went with it. I personally think since they screwed with that part they should just go and make CW pure mixtech bring what ever you want. Mercs do it anyways.

Edited by CoffiNail, 06 July 2015 - 03:46 AM.

#12 DarklightCA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 774 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:56 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 06 July 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

They choose to be mercs, and mercs are inner sphere, they should only be allowed inner sphere contracts and Mech chassis in community warfare. Instead those groups that were close to pgi cried that they should be allowed to play both their Clan and inner sphere. Pgi went with it. I personally think since they screwed with that part they should just go and make CW pure mixtech bring what ever you want. Mercs do it anyways.

Who knew that on the mwo"mercs".com forums that so many people would have such a huge problem with fictional mercenary organizations.

Do you want to know the kicker to that statement though? Clan's weren't initially suppose to be in this game. CW was suppose to be just IS warfare but IGP wanted more money I guess and forced that issue (atleast according to what I've heard). The heartattack you clan roleplayers would have had, my god. Perhaps I had heard that wrong though and maybe Clan's were always meant to be in this game.

Edited by DemonicD3, 06 July 2015 - 04:08 AM.

#13 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:32 AM

It would of been better with just IS , but PGI's investors told how much $$$$$ they can make selling timber wolves which at first was going to sell at 500 dollars. The situation can be fixed by making units clan mercs or IS mercs only , either that are give perks to loyalist units. PGI designed CW to be so anti-loyalist with faction ranks and all that it's no surprise everyone went merc. Hopefully PGI can fix this when they start rolling out the the different pilot classes and we will see what the difference between a loyalist , merc or lone solve pilot is

#14 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

View PostDemonicD3, on 06 July 2015 - 03:56 AM, said:

Who knew that on the mwo"mercs".com forums that so many people would have such a huge problem with fictional mercenary organizations.

Do you want to know the kicker to that statement though? Clan's weren't initially suppose to be in this game. CW was suppose to be just IS warfare but IGP wanted more money I guess and forced that issue (atleast according to what I've heard). The heartattack you clan roleplayers would have had, my god. Perhaps I had heard that wrong though and maybe Clan's were always meant to be in this game.

No. Only time Clans were not to be in game would be their initial attempt for mw5 which would have taken place 3015. That was the whammy trailer from 09 iirc.

The VERY first inner sphere news tweet from the start of October from 2011 was of the outbound light giving a distress call of unknown origin. Aka when they were captured by Clan smoke Jaguar. I have been following this game since it was announced and since that tweet.

#15 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:27 AM

I seem to remember a time when Clan Wolf was so vehemently against mercs that we ended up the laughing stock of CW.

Well, we were not only able to hold our own against multiple waves of merc units attacking us early on in CW, but we've learned to embrace them, work together with them, and create an environment where they felt welcome to fight alongside us, valuing their input and recommendations instead of just telling them what to do. Their help has even extended beyond the battlefield, with the setup of a new Wolf Hub to help coordinate attacks, and provide channels for solo players to group up.

No Clan is innocent in using mercs. Every Clan has used them at some point. The way they were implemented in CW doesn't allow for a 100% lore-based approach.

What does line up just like lore, is Clan Wolf learned how to play the game. They understood the opposition, knew the weaknesses in the Clan's approach to warfare, and did what was necessarily to ensure victory, even if it was viewed with disdain from the other Clans.

There was no foul play, nor sabotage to the other Clans. Clan Wolf utilized its resources 100% in accordance with the current implementation of Community Warfare, and became the first Clan to have reached Terra.

#16 yeshim

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:01 AM

Again, thank the broken Jade Falcon attack algorithm for reaching Terra first. There clearly was sabotage, but not by Wolf hands.

The laughable algorithm has forced us to take a massive amount of extra planets without gaining any real ground. There was never any actual chance of us getting there first outside of every other clan completely failing to take any planets and us having a gargantuan amount of time.

#17 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:01 AM

Well, as many casual players who do not care about the Battletech IP have vehemently stated in many other threads, MWO is not Battletech. Unfortunately, I wish it was more true to lore, that is partly why I helped to fund this game, but it is the closest to BT that we have right now (besides Megamek), so we can just make the best of it until someone makes a real Battletech game.

#18 Angry bovine

• Pip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:30 AM

View PostDemonicD3, on 06 July 2015 - 03:56 AM, said:

No Clans where always going to be in game, why else would they start the game around the year 3050

#19 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

Until they add my Clan into the options (which is unlikely, no Coyotes), I am happy to be a merc. What better way to be a Warden then to fight where the fighting is best? Fight for Jade Falcon and advance the Falcon line, Fight for the FRR and slow the Clan push, Fight for Davion and mercilessly attack Liao so that neither faction can help vs the Clan Invasion. My brothers are IS and Clan pilots, people who care strongly about both. Who wouldn't want to be a merc with the way it is set up right now? However, I will be very happy to see that Loyalists get to choose the attack vectors soon. No merc unit should be directing the battle fronts of any faction.

I still think we should have the FedCom instead of Davion and Steiner divided, but could imagine how many players that would put under a single banner?

Some of the Periphery States would be nice too. Of course that all just further divides the player base, so I understand their exclusion.

The point being, things are not perfect to the lore and never will be. Write your own stories of the Clan Invasion and the years afterwards.

This game has progressed in leaps and bounds since alpha, and PGI has been doing much, much better since they bought out IGP. I will look forward to further improvements. :ph34r:

#20 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

Unfortunately the ComStar Merc board will probably be the ilclan. Those "RP" heavy Clan Wolf units who not only accept mercs but heavily interact with them will really have to consider how RP heavy they really are :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users