#121 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:25 AM

View PostViges, on 02 August 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

Poptars started to die with clans release. At start people even poptarted with clans, but then found out that lasers do much bigger alphas and switched. Yes there was a nerf to jj and velocities but it was later as I remember, then even c-lasers were nerfed but they still were better. Meta was always about max alphas anyway.

Again, huh?

And all this time I thought poptarts died because of PPC, Gauss, JJ, and Mech nerfs, with Ghost Heat as an added bonus.

Edited by Mystere, 02 August 2015 - 09:26 AM.

#122 Viges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

View PostMystere, on 02 August 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

Again, huh?

And all this time I thought poptarts died because of PPC, Gauss, JJ, and Mech nerfs, with Ghost Heat as an added bonus.

Remove clans and some overquirked is mechs and it will be poptarts again.

#123 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:09 AM

View PostMystere, on 02 August 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

Again, huh?

Gauss was alive and well for 'tarts even after the charge was added. Ghost heat didn't curb 'tarting at all. JJs didn't get completely zorched until after Clans released.

Pop-tarting truly died because the effective damage on-component, even after expected spread, was better for a given amount of heat dissipation with mass laser fire in the most useful range bracket. Before the Clans, a good alpha was 30-35 points. Doing that with IS lasers generated more heat than the PPC+Ballistic builds with no front-loading and greatly reduced range. Clans come out, and suddenly you can do far more damage at comparable ranges to the PPC+Ballistic combos. After spreading damage, you'd still end up with 30-35 points on a single component. It made more heat, but it did so in the presence of far greater caps and dissipation than previous and with the added benefits of fantastic speed almost across the board.

Then quirks happened, and the rest is history.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users