74 replies to this topic

#41 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:19 AM

Light: Spider
Medium: Hunchback (once upon a time it was the Stormcrow)
Heavy: Thunderbolt
Assault: Stalker

I don't usually fight against clans as you can see

#42 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 02 August 2015 - 07:08 AM, said:

Yeah. The only way 8 points of armor is gonna make a difference is if PGI calculated and had a system for just how many Alphas of X damage each mech should be able to withstand. The difference between 3 to 4 alphas to a ST, hypothetically to the Victor.

I dont think PGI figured this out or implemented anything like this.

Its actually 2-3 alphas from a single mech. And then add in several all shooting at you at the same time and POP.

#43 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

I realise the OP is probably long gone but i'd like to say something regardless.

The mech that is hardest to kill is the fast slippery one that shoots you from an angle where you cannot see him at medium range for example.
Then he runs into cover before you can return fire.
Maybe you saw him run to westwards in the direction of another spot where there is an excellent spot for him to fire at you again from medium range.

Then he uses his trumphcard while he is out of your line of sight. He turns around and go through a route where you have no line of sight to him whatsoever and pop out from cover not to the west like you expected.
Nope instead he pops out of cover in to the northeast at much longer range and shoots you again with a longrange weapon you had no idea he had.
Why didn't you know he had a longrange weapon? Because he shoot you from an angle where you could not see him at first and he didn't allow you to scan his mech either.

Once again you try to return fire but he is gone before you can do it......and this just keeps repeating itself.
He tricks you to look one way so he can shoot you in the arse.

#44 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

thunderbolt is not too bad, yes - but its not too great.

atlas can be good if you manage the armor correctly

stalkers are very tough to kill.

king crab also can be tanky, depending.

the zeus can take amazing ammounts of damage for 80 tons, more than the awesome and far more than the victor.

that's it.

whk, dire, aws, and in particular the mech you bought, the hitboxes are big.
try and make up for it with a really strong punch, or sell it

#45 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:28 AM

The one piloted by the better pilot.

#46 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:41 AM

View PostNUJRSYDEVIL, on 18 August 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

Light: Spider

i just met a pretty good spider (not sure if it was one pilot or not) in a couple of recent games... in the first one it attacked me (a streakcrow) from impossible angles with large lasers and eventually died only because he tried to help his last teammate and let me catch him; the next spider was more careful, it was simply impossible to catch... ~8 or so our mechs looked for it and it shot somebody, disappeared, appeared, disappeared, decapped a point and disappeared again... eventually it survived

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 24 August 2015 - 06:42 AM.

#47 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

The hardest Mechs to kill are the ones driven by competent pilots.

#48 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:54 AM

Hardest to kill? Easy, one that is already dead. Next question please.

#49 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:27 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 24 August 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

The hardest Mechs to kill are the ones driven by competent pilots.

And the more unpredictable that competent pilot is the more likely it is that they will shoot their enemies in the arse.
Hyperactivity in a light mech pilot is also a nasty sign. The more speed/caffeine such a pilot has in them the harder they're to kill.
The lacklustre light mech that stands still is easy.

#50 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:45 PM

Arctic Cheetahs....

#51 Vetal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 500 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:32 AM

I've beated orions, zeuses, atlasses several times, one vs one, with my highlander 732b and heavy metal. But of course mostly of that times i stood semi or full cored. The harderst is to kill is dakka daishi, because it makes aiming impossible. But in close range or mid-range I can beat it, if nobody help him. But of course lrm preparation before brawling is preferrable.

Edited by Vetal, 31 August 2015 - 01:35 AM.

#52 Jumping Gigolo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 214 posts
  • LocationAny red light district or above 27,000ft on a mile-high club jet

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:42 AM

Zombie Stalkers. They just won't die!

#53 Vetal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 500 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:19 AM

i saw a lot of games when people were driving mechs with locked arms. Especially newbies. This makes fast aiming impossible beacuse of torso inertia. I suggest to get used to unlocked arms, because it deals much more distinct damage to lights than with locked. torso following circle hud with automatic speed. And without Inertia.
Locked arms work great ONLY with lights, with heavies and assaults in cause of inertia that is unappropriate.

Edited by Vetal, 31 August 2015 - 02:02 AM.

#54 pina colada

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:23 AM

This is all fine and dandy but using the topography and torso twisting is the end all be all mechwarrior skill. No mech can fix a pilot who doesnt take cover.

#55 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:33 PM

I think the key ingredients here are speed, adequate armor and just plain skill on the pilots part. Humanoid hit boxes help and so does engine type, but with speed and experience my Locust can out last any standard engined assault if the person using it doesn't know how to spread damage and aim.

#56 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:56 AM

As far as tanking in general goes in MWO, there is no mech that can sit there and eat damage. All tanking is active tanking, and your survivability depends on your own skill as much as the strengths of the mech you are piloting. Rolling incoming damage, protecting damaged components, quick changes of direction, mitigating incoming damage by filtering it through damaged components - these are all ways to prolong your time under fire, and some mechs do it better than others.

As far as tankiness goes, my top 4 are the StormCrow, Arctic Cheetah (prob #1), Stalker, and Banshee.

The Crow has the advantage of great speed and maneuverability, and great hitboxes. As long as you're mobile, you're a hard nut to crack.

The Cheetah is an amazing tank. Midget hitboxes, clan XL survivability, and barely anyone ever aims for it's legs. It's only real weakness is streakboats, and even then, it can gut them before they can get out a second salvo if the Cheetah pilot knows what they are doing. It's getting a (much needed) balance change soon, but even if they remove structure quirks, it will still be good, because in essence, it is just a well designed mech (I don't think it's broken per se, I think it's quirks are unnecessary). You won't see any other mech merrily weave it's way through an entire team like the ACH does.

The Stalker is a behemoth, and it's odd hitbox design means it can soak ungodly amounts of damage though it's ST's with just a twitch of the wrist in between huge laser vomit strikes. I've seen innumerable matches where half a team will be focusing on a Stalker, pouring damage into it, frothing at the mouth for a kill they are working far too hard for, while the rest of the enemy team eats them alive.

The Banshee has great armour and OK hitboxes, but if you know how to roll damage, you can use every scrap of that armour to soak incoming fire before you finally succumb. It's arms protect a large portion of it's silhouette from the sides, so if you twist and twist hard between alphas, you can be a really, really hard nut to crack - even with an XL (though i'd recommend that you really, really get to know the chassis before you try that).

Just my 2c, all anecdodal, all IMHO :)

#57 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:47 AM

Most Thunderbolt pilots who know what they're doing can take an incredible amount of damage before they die. Other than the Stalker I don't think there's another mech out there that can handle getting pummeled by SSRMs or LRMs better.

The fact that weapons are stored in the STs makes it even tankier. Like the Banshee, if you get both arms blown off it does nothing to you other than maybe destroying some ammo.

#58 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

It's also beeing familair with your mech:

Just got a Stalker, I'm not use to something that slow so I'm a big target and get the snot kicked out of me every PUG.

My Thunderbolt on the other hand: Creeping Death, but it wasn't always that way. You can use the Thuds arms as sheilds with most builts but the mech is still wide so your going to soak up LRM damage no mater wht (god, I hate LRMS)

Griffin: Almost traded it in for another medium but now, right up their with my Thunderbolt. I just needed to practice Hit and Run vs FACE TOWARDS ENEMY like with my Thud.

I've played the trial Victor (WTH with the weapon grouping PGI!) while it's not a tank, it moves like a heavy while carring a little more fire power than most. The Zues can tank more thanks to those armor buffs, might be up you ally but I haven't played with one yet.

#59 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:07 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 10 September 2015 - 12:52 PM, said:

I've played the trial Victor (WTH with the weapon grouping PGI!) while it's not a tank, it moves like a heavy while carring a little more fire power than most.

You know you can change the weapon groupings in trial mechs, right? The button's enabled in the Mech Lab.

#60 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:07 PM

View PostAscaloth, on 03 August 2015 - 04:53 AM, said:

Hardest to kill
Lights:
Firestarter
Spider
Arctic Cheetah
These 3 have nearly bugged hitboxes, if they don't stop moving they become very hard to kill.

Mediums:
Centurion with STD engine
Stormcrow
Hunchback 4G
Enforcer with STD engine

Heavies:
Timberwolf
Thunderbolt (specially with STD engine)
Hellbringer and Cataphrac are pretty tough too, but not so tough as the two mentioned above.

Assaults:
Dire Wolf (sustain tons of damage, but can be easily killed by a skilled pilot in a fast mech)
Banshee with STD engine
Stalker with STD engine (hard to kill, but can be "easily" unarmed by taking out both side torsos)
King Crab can also be pretty hard to kill if the pilot knows how to spread damage

Easiest to kill
Lights:
Kit Fox
Locust
Mist Lynx
Any light that likes to stand still in front of the enemy...

Mediums:
Cicada, specially if it stands still
Nova
Black Jack

Heavies:
Catapult
Dragon
Quickdraw
Jagermech (unless using STD engine, which is pretty rare)
Mad Dog

Assaults:
Victor
Awesome
Highlander (unless using STD engine, but it's uncommon)

Any Inner Sphere mech above the light category using XL become much easier to kill, but they also become more dangerous in terms of weaponry. And remember: one does not put an XL on the Atlas.

time to run an XL LRM atlas, the paper says good!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users